Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hand loaded 45-70 (especially to the pressure the Marlin can handle) is a very impressive cartridge. Even the factory loadings are very effective at close range.

If something is coming at you, there are few guns that will serve you better.
Then you gotta go to the chiropractor and get an adjustment after you pick yourself up off the ground, maybe that was just my experience as a 14yr old :rare2:, but I guess it's better than the alternative :surprised3:.

Bench shooting heavy handloads is no fun LOL.
I'm not real familiar with the models, but we were shooting a 1914 or 17, something like that with mild loads, then went to the ruger drop bolt(maybe a model 1?), I didn't realize what they did to me, that steel butt plate wasn't real nice to me :rare2:. Needless to say I didn't shoot any more that day, and was very cautious anytime I went shooting and anyone wanted me to "try this out":sucks:.

I'm not real familiar with the models, but we were shooting a 1914 or 17, something like that with mild loads, then went to the ruger drop bolt(maybe a model 1?), I didn't realize what they did to me, that steel butt plate wasn't real nice to me :rare2:. Needless to say I didn't shoot any more that day, and was very cautious anytime I went shooting and anyone wanted me to "try this out":sucks:.
Was it a short barrel Ruger falling block? That would have been a #3 which were great woods guns but not great for stuff like that!

Was it a short barrel Ruger falling block? That would have been a #3 which were great woods guns but not great for stuff like that!
That's the one, it hurt, I remember that the most.
Just looked them up real quick, not sure on the first one, but it was old so the loads were pretty light, the second I'm pretty sure was a model #1 as it was a more modern gun than the #3 from what I remember. I didn't see the metal buttplate, but that was how I remembered it, I'll have to ask my dad as it was a few days ago :laugh:.

45-70 hand loads can be brutal, especially in a handgun, lol. Normally I hand load but have been using these in my 45-70 last few years 94CC5B36-3BB9-4AF5-B41B-BE7342251C33.pngvery effective, accurate and little nicer to the shoulder. With a good rest you can have 3 shots touching at a 100yds. Always amazed me how accurate that gun is for a lever action.

My Dad worked up some handloads when we were in Alaska with 400 gr bullets, they were painful to shoot.
Everything we shot was handloads except the rimfire, and many of those got cleaned and swaged into bullets. I had my first reloader when I was 14, I also had my first real job at 14 working at a gun club pulling skeet and trap for 2.25 an hr.

That is a very smart choice Nate. Improves down range performance w/o punishing you when you pull the trigger.

Part of why I really like my Ruger American Rifle is that despite it being very light, perceived recoil, even with hot loads, is very mild. Coupled with a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 BDC (was on sale at Cabela's for $99) it is a tough package to beat (Low cost, rugged, light, accurate). I hand load Barnes TTSX 168gr bullets at close to 3,000 FPS. Not much that it is not good for. I think I paid just over $300 for the rifle when they were on sale when they first came out. I also picked one up in 223 (That caliber came out later, and was one I had suggested to them).

It would be nice to see them make it in either 338 Federal or 358 Winchester, but the 06 gets it done.

So I was at L and M today and noticed they have separated the Tri-Link stuff from everything else and judging by stock it appears they are phasing it out. Too bad as for the price I thought it was great stuff.
1. Clearance pricing?
2. Depends on what they are replacing it with.
3. Have you compared it with Archer?

Philbert

Not clearance priced, just regular prices but the whole display is small and separate from Oregon. Both used to be in the same display and it was sorted by pitch and DL count, not brand.

I think they are just going back to Oregon only like they had done for years and years prior.

No I haven’t.

A hand loaded 45-70 (especially to the pressure the Marlin can handle) is a very impressive cartridge. Even the factory loadings are very effective at close range.

If something is coming at you, there are few guns that will serve you better.
I had a Winchester model 95 made in 1910, it was chambered in 35 Winchester. It was by no means a slouch. 250 grain slug at 2200 FPS, 2600 FT/LBS of energy, and it didn't rattle your teeth. Very sorry I let that one go.

Latest posts

Back