Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It cut good for about 3/4 tank then started to fall off a bit. I think Brett was right about my angles.
This is what mine looks likeFBBB1BB2-475D-43D5-B455-DC050143C2CA.pngF8D0D08C-9B15-4EFC-8FFB-40EBD9FC74A8.jpeg Don’t know if it’s the greatest angles but can usually cut a couple cords before regrinding. When cutting green wood logging if I stay out of the dirt usually 2 days cutting (12hrs). Not sure what the angles are but hope that helps.

I have to take my chain off to sharpen..91C4FE13-8E96-4CF0-90EF-7738B32FDAB1.jpeg

Welp,

A bit stressed out this week so im seeing Dr. Fiskars as we speak. Ill let you know what he prescribes[emoji1787]

958884a298fd8d3cd034a4d30a44a1f3.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
That’s a great looking set up! Very nice. Fiskars is great therapy :)

That’s a great looking set up! Very nice. Fiskars is great therapy :)

Thank you sir. One of my better ideas lately. Sure you guys are getting sick of seeing pictures of it I throw them in whenever I can[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Thank you sir. One of my better ideas lately. Sure you guys are getting sick of seeing pictures of it I throw them in whenever I can[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Nope like the pictures! Keep them coming, I love your truck too!

This is what mine looks likeView attachment 778477View attachment 778478 Don’t know if it’s the greatest angles but can usually cut a couple cords before regrinding. When cutting green wood logging if I stay out of the dirt usually 2 days cutting (12hrs). Not sure what the angles are but hope that helps.

I have to take my chain off to sharpen..View attachment 778479
Looks good Nate. Those are nice angles, unfortunately here they don't last quite that long, but nothing does :cry:.
Is the grinder mounted there, or just set there on the shelf. Does it feel like it's low on power with the smaller motor.

@chucker heard there was a pretty serious accident near Pillager. Hope all is well with you and yours.
! "THANKS" for the thoughts friend!! we were not the unlucky people ?! prayers going out to whom ever it was! we have not heard anything as of yet, just heading out to church in a few minutes tho.. be safe everyone ….

I have to haul some wood this morning. There’s only 4 pieces in the house. Need to get some motivation here!

This little lady is out there at your wood pile right now ready to help you with your “load”.........of wood.

d29048f95705a81bbccd3f72f1029054.jpg

I was going to say my square file at 45*, 45*, 45* (factory angles) holds up well, but noting will hold up that long in our Eastern Hardwoods!

Even though it can go longer, I generally like to touch it up after 2 tanks just to keep things sharp. I will often just go to the next saw and sharpen them all after I'm done.

Don’t know if this is a common thing or not but I do this frequently with softer woods or anything that’s easier to split.

Right now I’m doing a bunch of maple with a few pieces of black locust mixed in. Both are pretty easy to split. Once I get the round split in half or to manageable sizes I’ll just lay them on their side instead of trying to stand them up. Saves a bit of time fooling around.

Looks good Nate. Those are nice angles, unfortunately here they don't last quite that long, but nothing does :cry:.
Is the grinder mounted there, or just set there on the shelf. Does it feel like it's low on power with the smaller motor.
Thanks Brett, yeah I’m sure hardwood would be different, I’ve never cut any except a maple yard tree but those kinda soft aren’t they?
It’s on a pipe that goes through my pallet shelf to the floor, was supposed to be a temporary set up but been that way a couple years, lol. Need to build a base to set pipe in. Yeah smaller motor is kinda weak but if you keep stone dressed like it should be it works well, also prevents you from getting tooth too hot.
Has anyone tried a goofy file (round edge flat file)? It’s easier to hand file than the square edge chisel file and seems like it stays sharp longer. Might be good option for hardwood firewood?

Thanks Brett, yeah I’m sure hardwood would be different, I’ve never cut any except a maple yard tree but those kinda soft aren’t they?
It’s on a pipe that goes through my pallet shelf to the floor, was supposed to be a temporary set up but been that way a couple years, lol. Need to build a base to set pipe in. Yeah smaller motor is kinda weak but if you keep stone dressed like it should be it works well, also prevents you from getting tooth too hot.
Has anyone tried a goofy file (round edge flat file)? It’s easier to hand file than the square edge chisel file and seems like it stays sharp longer. Might be good option for hardwood firewood?

Maple is technically a hardwood i think.... but its very soft, easy to cut, split and doesn’t hold a candle to real hardwood when put in the stove

I’m assuming you cut mostly Douglas...?

Maple is technically a hardwood i think.... but its very soft, easy to cut, split and doesn’t hold a candle to real hardwood when put in the stove

I’m assuming you cut mostly Douglas...?

Ok thanks, kinda what I thought.
Yes mostly Douglas, some tamarack (larch), lodge pole pine, and ponderosa pine (very soft).

Ok thanks, kinda what I thought.
Yes mostly Douglas, some tamarack (larch), lodge pole pine, and ponderosa pine (very soft).

I’ve always wanted to try out those different pines in all aspects. Cutting, splitting, drying, burning. Would lodgepole pine be the longest lasting as far as in your stove?

I always find it hilarious when anyone mentions burning any kind of pine in our part of the country. they absolutely lose their ****.......[emoji2962][emoji2962]

Causes way too much creosote
You’ll burn your house down
You’ll get cancer
Your firstborn will die
The world will end
Hitler will rise

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].......[emoji2957]

......... you know, all the common things they say

This is what mine looks likeView attachment 778477View attachment 778478 Don’t know if it’s the greatest angles but can usually cut a couple cords before regrinding. When cutting green wood logging if I stay out of the dirt usually 2 days cutting (12hrs). Not sure what the angles are but hope that helps.

I have to take my chain off to sharpen..View attachment 778479

Looks a lot more durable then the angles I had. I cut a couple oak logs and started on that cherry I posted without much trouble. Then i put over a smaller cherry stem that was pretty punky and the chain started to go south. I touched it up befor I put the saw away. Might work on the cherry some more today and see how it holds up in clean wood.

I’ve always wanted to try out those different pines in all aspects. Cutting, splitting, drying, burning. Would lodgepole pine be the longest lasting as far as in your stove?

I always find it hilarious when anyone mentions burning any kind of pine in our part of the country. they absolutely lose their ****.......[emoji2962][emoji2962]

Causes way too much creosote
You’ll burn your house down
You’ll get cancer
Your firstborn will die
The world will end
Hitler will rise

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].......[emoji2957]

......... you know, all the common things they say

Yes lodge pole has longest burn times for pine. It’s pretty good.
I throughly enjoy all aspects of cutting soft wood for sure, not sure I’d want hard wood if I could get it, heavy, stinky, dulls chain, coal and ash build up.. tell me again why you guys like it? Lol. Think Mr dancan has it figured out, spruce!:numberone:
Tamarack is probably the best here, longest burn times (8-10 hrs?) in my stove, very little ash, burns clean. Then Douglas fir, very similar. Then lodge pole, very dense, ok burn times, great heat output, but much more coal ash build up, more buildup in chimney. Ponderosa actually burns pretty clean (seasoned) good heat output but not long burn times, but it does stop the earth’s rotation and your hair falls out:surprised3::crazy2::ices_rofl: :rolleyes:.

Yes lodge pole has longest burn times for pine. It’s pretty good.
I throughly enjoy all aspects of cutting soft wood for sure, not sure I’d want hard wood if I could get it, heavy, stinky, dulls chain, coal and ash build up.. tell me again why you guys like it? Lol. Think Mr dancan has it figured out, spruce!:numberone:
Tamarack is probably the best here, longest burn times (8-10 hrs?) in my stove, very little ash, burns clean. Then Douglas fir, very similar. Then lodge pole, very dense, ok burn times, great heat output, but much more coal ash build up, more buildup in chimney. Ponderosa actually burns pretty clean (seasoned) good heat output but not long burn times, but it does stop the earth’s rotation and your hair falls out:surprised3::crazy2::ices_rofl: :rolleyes:.

The main reason I think most of us like it is because when it burns it seems to put out a good amount of heat for a long time.. say If I compare it to maple that puts out a lot of heat but the fire dies down quick and then it holds coals for a good amount of time.

Then you do oak or black locust and it seems you have flames for a lot longer. Even when it gets down to larger coals it still puts out some flames.

One thing I think we all have different opinions on as what the term “ burn time” means. When I use the term burn time I mean how long the stove will hold coals until I have to put more wood in again. Might not be the right way to use that term but that’s how I’ve always done it.

Back