Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't really tried out my skid steer splitter as of yet since I had to get the quick attach plate modified. Decided since the Vikes were basically on a bye playing Detroit I could listen to it and do some work. Just wanted to break the big rounds up to a size that is easy lifting and finish on the SS since that does such a nice job. Made this pile and I'll probably finish it next weekend since this coming week is supposed to be trash.
skid1.jpg skid (1).jpg

272036480aca98676fa13b96a4e95e6b.png
51205536815ede912f179ac915a9e8c1.png

Got a new to me wood scrounger over the weekend. ‘04 F350 4WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ton trucks sure carry the weight well. When I was last serious about wood, had a f150 that I added 2leafs to the pack in the back. The old 300 straight 6 and 5 speed would pull all day, but the suspension even with the added leafs, left a LOT to be desired. I used to snag the K3500 from work any chance I got, that plow truck would sit all summer if it wasn’t for my “projects”

I've heard all kinds of myths about different woods. Can't burn pine because of creosote I've even heard that about poplar. People around here think that if it's not sugar maple, you can't heat your house with it. All wood has roughly the same BTUs per pound, some woods are just more dense than others. Silver maple and box elder get a bad rap IMO. I use a lot of them and have great results. I'll take Silver maple all day. To be fair my house is relatively easy to heat and I have the correct size stove in a modern design with secondary burn. If I had a hundred year old farmhouse with an old timer smoke dragon, I might be more of a wood snob. Whenever I hear one of these myths I always ask, " gee what do they do up north where they don't have hardwood?"
Proper seasoning is something that gets missed almost always around here. I see people getting their firewood delivered in the fall and I know it's only been cut and split and not stacked probably only a month ago. Many woods need a couple years to season and they won't dry in the round even if the ends look cracked. Wood cut in the winter before sap rises will season faster. I have been a fortunate scrounger and have my next winters wood split and stacked already out on the fence line in the wind and sun. I have found a huge difference since I have been splitting a year ahead and getting 2 summers worth of sun and dry wind on my wood. Fire starts easier and I am able to choke it back more for longer hotter fires and cleaner with a good secondary burn.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I've heard all kinds of myths about different woods. Can't burn pine because of creosote I've even heard that about poplar. People around here think that if it's not sugar maple, you can't heat your house with it. All wood has roughly the same BTUs per pound, some woods are just more dense than others. Silver maple and box elder get a bad rap IMO. I use a lot of them and have great results. I'll take Silver maple all day. To be fair my house is relatively easy to heat and I have the correct size stove in a modern design with secondary burn. If I had a hundred year old farmhouse with an old timer smoke dragon, I might be more of a wood snob. Whenever I hear one of these myths I always ask, " gee what do they do up north where they don't have hardwood?"
Proper seasoning is something that gets missed almost always around here. I see people getting their firewood delivered in the fall and I know it's only been cut and split and not stacked probably only a month ago. Many woods need a couple years to season and they won't dry in the round even if the ends look cracked. Wood cut in the winter before sap rises will season faster. I have been a fortunate scrounger and have my next winters wood split and stacked already out on the fence line in the wind and sun. I have found a huge difference since I have been splitting a year ahead and getting 2 summers worth of sun and dry wind on my wood. Fire starts easier and I am able to choke it back more for longer hotter fires and cleaner with a good secondary burn.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I heard you can't cut firewood without at least a ported 70cc saw lol.

Chipper, a properly ported 262xp sure makes a helluva firewood machine. My Uncle has a sweet MSsomething 60cc that’s ported and a monster too. If you get a log load, a 20-24inch bar on one of our two 60cc’s gets the job done no problems. I think his is a MS360, not too heavy and gets it done (almost as good as my 262xp)

Chipper, a properly ported 262xp sure makes a helluva firewood machine. My Uncle has a sweet MSsomething 60cc that’s ported and a monster too. If you get a log load, a 20-24inch bar on one of our two 60cc’s gets the job done no problems. I think his is a MS360, not too heavy and gets it done (almost as good as my 262xp)
Did you see this ad lol.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-262xp.337888/#post-7094397
They do run well, but I like the 3 series and newer saws.
Ran this one in some locust today.
Got a few more things shuffled around today and more long and odd wood put into a metal pallet with sides too. It was a good day to get stuff cleaned up before @svk sends us more artic weather and snow, I'm not complaining, just getting ready :).
20191208_101612.jpg 20191208_101633.jpg

You’re mean! Priced right, shows me the link, then says ........... SOLD

I’d have kept it and sent it to see my Uncles Doctor......
Well at first I thought you were referring to it because you saw the ad, but then I realized you were talking about my statement in regards to the 70cc saws.
You and your uncle have something in common other than being related, neither one likes to use the quote button o_O.
Like Jeff said, it's true that a 60cc saw just won't cut it:laughing:, so if you want a 357 it's up for sale. I sold my ported 361 this summer after having it sit on the shelf for the greater part of 2 yrs, I liked it a lot, but I hate to see them sit. I like both saws a lot, but since I run the 50's I usually go right from a 50 with an 18 to a 70 with a 20 or a 24.
Here's one I have listed here, do you want me to post all of them I have for sale in here for you :laugh:.

Well at first I thought you were referring to it because you saw the ad, but then I realized you were talking about my statement in regards to the 70cc saws.
You and your uncle have something in common other than being related, neither one likes to use the quote button o_O.
Like Jeff said, it's true that a 60cc saw just won't cut it:laughing:, so if you want a 357 it's up for sale. I sold my ported 361 this summer after having it sit on the shelf for the greater part of 2 yrs, I liked it a lot, but I hate to see them sit. I like both saws a lot, but since I run the 50's I usually go right from a 50 with an 18 to a 70 with a 20 or a 24.
Here's one I have listed here, do you want me to post all of them I have for sale in here for you :laugh:.

I have a 372xp for when the 262 doesn’t pull the weight, also a Closed Port 55. Don’t really think I need anything more then those three....

except, one day wanna upgrade the 55CP to a 346xp

Back