Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are still a few rotten stumps out in the woods behind my cabin with the sloping back cut and no notch. I stumped all of the ones within sight of the road :rolleyes:
:omg:
There was a large black locust stump at the neighbors that would have been there forever if they wouldn't have dug it up with an excavator.
It's now out in the woods behind the house they built, I think I have a picture of it somewhere, it was sweet.

Me too. The Bible says don’t hang out with the wrong crowd or you’ll be corrupted. lol
@KiwiBro, did you see or hear or feel that volcano erupting?
Too far away. It's always been a dodgy, unpredictable place that's claimed lives in the past though so was surprising to many they started tours to and on it a few years back.

Too far away. It's always been a dodgy, unpredictable place that's claimed lives in the past though so was surprising to many they started tours to and on it a few years back.
IMO, part of the 'thrill' of visiting an active volcano is the risk. Along with sky diving, auto racing, swimming with sharks, etc.

Unfortunate that it happened, but not unforeseeable.

Philbert

You are correct Philbert … running chainsaws … riding my bike on the road … driving a fast car … hiking on the edge of a cliff to see the views … yea, I'm guilty!

Hopefully, if you recognize the risk you can reduce it … but you can't eliminate it.

Even riding roller coasters, which I used to love to do … not the safest thing in the world!

Geez Jeff you have some nerve posting pics of firewood here. :crazy2::laughing::crazy2::laughing: I worked on and got running the predecssor of your 201 yesterday. 020 AVP.It was raining so i didn't cut with it but maybe today.
P1140108.JPG
Interweb pic Brett . The one I worked on had a white handgaurd on it.

I had 2 saws when I found this site and they had stock exhaust and safety chain.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I had safety chain sometimes and was also running 73 series Oregon chain on 72 series bar because the guy at the hardware store told people that 73 was "better" than 72 :surprised3::surprised3::surprised3::surprised3:

IMO, part of the 'thrill' of visiting an active volcano is the risk. Along with sky diving, auto racing, swimming with sharks, etc.

Unfortunate that it happened, but not unforeseeable.

Philbert
I hear what you are saying and agree to an extent that personal responsibility plays a big part. However, consent needs to be fully informed and in this case I feel it has never been enough to say they are told of the risks and signed a waiver, when the for-profit operators knew the place is notorious for what are termed unheralded eruptions (the absolutely fark'n atrociously if not criminally negligent geotec-conjuring carnival crystal ball gazers masquerading as geo-scientists here had the alert level at 2 of 5 and only raised it after the start of the eruption and then only to 4 during the eruption) and has killed in the past. The very fact there are tour operators going there is an undeniable implicit downplaying of those risks, no matter what they say pre-trip.

If we want to hark on about personal responsibility, someone in govt has it too, for giving the operators a licence. Also the Iwi who allowed it to go ahead when they clearly have a veto over what happens there. All those in positions of power to stop the tours and in full knowledge of the lethal history of the place bear some responsibility for this too. Just as much as the dead. The difference being those in power and those who profited, get to go home to their loved ones, get to be consoled over Christmas. The families of the dead get to bury their loved ones over Christmas, if they can find and recover the bodies off the Island.

Further, a person speeding in their car is cognisant of the risks too, yet it's illegal. Someone taking heroin is cognisant of the risks but it's illegal. It's an interesting thought process to go through all the things we can do in society and how the collective decide what is and isn't legal. Also, why such decisions are made. Take trekking or climbing mountains for example. We positively encourage it here - it's a great earner. Yet every time someone dies or needs a rescue we think nothing of the risks we are demanding rescuers take to bail their arses out or retrieve the bodies. It's not just the thrill-seekers who have agreed to put themselves in danger we need to consider. It's not just the balancing of risk and reward for person and country/company coffers. It's not just the lives of the rescuers. It's not just the families left behind, etc. It's quite interesting where society draws the line.

Back