Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rigged our truck with with couplers to hook to the dozers and excavators to circulate warm antifreeze to them cuz I got sick of trying to get them running when it’s -20. So I park next to the piece of equipment hook the hoses up and sit in the truck and drink my coffee for a while and watch the sun rise
That’s a great idea

SVK's in the coldest area of the state. Usually when he is -30 we are about 8-10 degrees warmer (I'm 230 miles south). Have some family within a half hour of him and the mentality is different. It sucks but you just deal with it. I had -14 here yesterday morning. 12 above here right now so it's back to tshirt and crocs weather.

The benefit of where Steve lives is the absolute beauty of it. If you like the outdoors there is not a better place in the state. You can hunt and fish unmolested. Northern lights and beautiful sunsets. More water than one guy could ever explore and if you don't want to talk to people you would never have to unless you went to town.

My goal is to have a nice piece of property in his vicinity for summer living and a piece down south for winter living.

I should add that it is a great place to raise kids IMO.
As long as it’s above -30 life goes on up here.

In this day and age the concern of children is of higher than years passed. Since people don’t adequately dress their kids we now get school days called off when it’s frigid cold or extreme wind chill. When I was a kid we never got “cold” days unless it was really cold (greater than -40) and nobody got frostbite unless they chose to play outside for extended times.

As long as it’s above -30 life goes on up here.

In this day and age the concern of children is of higher than years passed. Since people don’t adequately dress their kids we now get school days called off when it’s frigid cold or extreme wind chill. When I was a kid we never got “cold” days unless it was really cold (greater than -40) and nobody got frostbite unless they chose to play outside for extended times.
Everyone is a bunch of pansy’s now a days. It’s nearly impossible to find people around me to work when it’s below freezing let alone if it’s snowing or raining. I personally love fall and winter months but I also don’t do well in the heat. More snow and cold the better

Everyone is a bunch of pansy’s now a days. It’s nearly impossible to find people around me to work when it’s below freezing let alone if it’s snowing or raining. I personally love fall and winter months but I also don’t do well in the heat. More snow and cold the better

such a BOLD! statement. I mean... everyone? ah, come on now. clearly a comment more so of opinion than one backed up by fact!

issues are desire, no doubt beautiful wilderness often has cold winters... :cold: but acclimation is a big part of it. plenty of people work in the cold north!

I like fall and winter months, too. but I am not in N MN! lol. and I like heat, too. I do well in the cold, but not in severe cold. not acclimated. but for me...

more heat and sun the better! a camp fire a day, 365, keeps the doctor away!

even in August and 98f out... :yes:

P4020008.JPG

such a BOLD! statement. I mean... everyone? ah, come on now. clearly a comment more so of opinion than one backed up by fact!

issues are desire, no doubt beautiful wilderness often has cold winters... :cold: but acclimation is a big part of it. plenty of people work in the cold north!

I like fall and winter months, too. but I am not in N MN! lol. and I like heat, too. I do well in the cold, but not in severe cold. not acclimated. but for me...

more heat and sun the better! a camp fire a day, 365, keeps the doctor away!

even in August and 98f out... :yes:

View attachment 779505
Maybe not everyone but majority of people around me would rather sit in the house and collect welfare

We have gotten much softer, and some of it is the insurance crap.

When I was a kid, you could not get a job as a bus driver unless you could put chains on your bus. Now, if there is just a forecast of snow, school is cancelled! Half the time they cancel school no snow ever comes, and they will not have school if snow is predicted, coming or going!

All of the buses have "automatic chains" that NEVER get used!

I still can't get used to the kids standing on a street corner waiting for the school bus. School is only about 1/2 mile away.

And power steering, AC and no double clutching!
I liked power steering and power brakes! I had a school bus stall out on me a few times, while driving in the mountains (thin air, and slow speed due to tight curves)! It was all I could do (a lot younger and stronger back then) to stand on the brakes, and use my whole body on the large steering wheel, to keep it on the road!

(A/C might be nice at some time).

Philbert

I liked power steering and power brakes! I had a school bus stall out on me a few times, while driving in the mountains (thin air, and slow speed due to tight curves)! It was all I could do (a lot younger and stronger back then) to stand on the brakes, and use my whole body on the large steering wheel, to keep it on the road!

(A/C might be nice at some time).Philbert
Why were you driving a bus in the mountains?

I rigged our truck with with couplers to hook to the dozers and excavators to circulate warm antifreeze to them cuz I got sick of trying to get them running when it’s -20. So I park next to the piece of equipment hook the hoses up and sit in the truck and drink my coffee for a while and watch the sun rise

Brilliant idea

Finishing up a Burr Oak I have been turning into firewood, decided to noodle this large crotch. Almost looks too beautiful to burn, gonna have to come up with a project to utilize this on. Can’t imagine how long it will take to dry.
70823716407e3096c105a182ed048cf8.jpg
2f0e93fc299c66e399684e4a2694a0f7.jpg
76448929586971be8b1ca4d772ca94bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather plow snow every day at 25 degrees than have to deal with deep cold. Outside of snowmobiling (with proper clothing) there is very little that can be done outside in deep cold. And the fish usually do not bite very well either.
Meanwhile round here, we skate, have snowball fights, shovel then shovel again, get near 100% of our firewood for next year cut and processed, make snowmen, beer is always cold, big ass fires outside (like Aussie style just with snow as a backdrop), go for rips on anything with a motor, besides fixing broken stuff outdoors in the bitter cold......keeps you up on your maintenance.
Main thing I guess is you get to burn more and appreciate the warmth,
BTW at 25 degrees merican most might put on a sweater!

Was low 20s this morning when I delivered 1/2 cord, but it was sunny and no wind, so it was quite pleasant!

Still low 20s now, but they are predicting rain tomorrow and Sat???

We used to get snow and keep it all winter, but now, snow then rain, then snow, then rain!!!

Makes things too messy!

Brexit.
Brexixt brexit brexit.
Brexit.
Brexiiiiit.

With an overwhelming majority, a clear mandate, let's see if Boris slips a few unpopular terms into the brexit deal and rams it through regardless. If the eurocrats try to keep playing hard ball, maybe Boris just tells 'em to join the back of the farQueue and does a no deal brexit instead.

Just need Trump to win bigly again and ink a great trade deal between USA and UK, and show the way for the rest of the EU countries who have felt shat on.

Back