Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hear that. setting in the plow trucks for the last week sure does cramp up the old body when not used to setting around! moving snow does make one tired but not in the way an active body is used to being moved with real action... ? what's the old adage, "a body in ?"

??

I grew up on a farm in N Idaho. Grades 1-8 walked 1/2 mile to country school. We had students who walked, rode horses up to 4 miles. HS it was a 2 mile hike to the bus. Also 2 miles for the younger siblings to the country grade school. No such thing as a "snow day" even when the county road was closed due to drifts. Even 1st graders did it.
Have a picture somewhere of my Grampa giving the little kids a sleigh ride to school. Guess when the snow was what he considered too deep for them to walk they got to ride. We had country schools up till the late 60's.

Have a picture somewhere of my Grampa giving the little kids a sleigh ride to school. Guess when the snow was what he considered too deep for them to walk they got to ride. We had country schools up till the late 60's.

I can remember when we lived in Tewksbury Ma... and the snows there. the snow plow pushed snow was very big. tall. high. almost like a small ice mountain to me.
zstsd.jpg

Cold night, heated dog bed...
fbcfc0d02ea49ecc9158722c42d82549.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pretty good! our north dogs have 'snow beds, too'. lol... but alas, they are not electrically heated. good pix!

I can remember when we lived in Tewksbury Ma... and the snows there. the snow plow pushed snow was very big. tall. high. almost like a small ice mountain to me.
View attachment 779801
and they still are .. " a body in motion stays in motion" , "a body at rest needs rest" is what I remember.

don't waste your time bud! it will happen sooner then later!! neighbors should respect the fact you are probably doing the plowing at a reduced rate anyways! they want plowed . " MOVE YOUR CRAP. CAUSE IF I HIT IT! WELL THATS WHAT IT BECOMES!!"... THE ONLY THING I MOVE IS THE SNOW....
Been doing the neighbors their **** moves. Was a kayak at the end of the drive just far enough I could push a pile along side. Now it's 20' farther up the drive but right on the edge. Drive is 400' I go up n down and clear room for 2-3 cars at the top. The yard is so busy I don't even try to clear a walk way to the house anymore.

This was a few years ago. Its at least twice as busy today as back then. More cars and equipment for sure.
img20191213_123101.png

SVK, I have never seen it that cold! But I do remember going up to my cabin with two friends (one insisted on driving). It was -16*F, he did not bring chains, and the 4wd road was ice, so we had to hike the 2 mi uphill to the cabin … and we were all sweating by the time we got there! I had to light the stove right away, because the Pointer's feet were frozen!

Worse part was, we could not find a grouse anywhere! Poor dog could only stay outside for a little while before we brought him back in to warm him up again.

I had a customer up White Horse way... and he said never drives out alone when temps down like that. always take 2 vehicles. if one stops, can be life threatening... if stuck far out and overnight! -40 stuff....

Somehow I missed this post yesterday o_O. I'm not really sure, I'm just trying to post as much as everyone else :laugh:. Hope you're having a great day.

lol! I try not to post too much, but sometimes it is totally impossible not to post a comment or reply! ;)

:laughing:

:yes:

I worked one winter in Gallup, NM and the temp bottomed out several times at nearly 40 below. Diesel and hydraulic fluid look like jello at that temp, even gas engines didn't want to start without coercing...I had to park the 850 JD dozer on some old truck tires to keep it from freezing to the ground. The guys would let the equipment idle overnight to keep things moving, or we would spend hours the next morning thawing things out with those big weedburner propane torches...There is nothing fun about working outside after the temp goes below about 20 degrees...let alone sub-zero. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

seen it many times up in the mtns of the Pac NW! ~

soon we will be starting up the modded '79 Triumph 750 Bonney... been sittin' 8 yrs. last of the fuel sys cks, etc done. crudded up fuel entry to carb fitting now clean. ready to go. soon to 'kick a tire and light the fire!'

tank, bat, fuel and Ign ON, and kick it... looking fwd to riding it.
P5230060.JPG P5230061.JPG P5230063.JPG P2190024.JPG

Been doing the neighbors their **** moves. Was a kayak at the end of the drive just far enough I could push a pile along side. Now it's 20' farther up the drive but right on the edge. Drive is 400' I go up n down and clear room for 2-3 cars at the top. The yard is so busy I don't even try to clear a walk way to the house anymore.

This was a few years ago. Its at least twice as busy today as back then. More cars and equipment for sure.
View attachment 779802
I have a single client set up like this 400'x60' wide. used to call me after every 3rd snow and packed like concrete! charged the same as if I had plowed all 3 times and 100.00 more for the extra bouncing around! lol didn't take them long to figure that it was cheaper in the long run to just keep up with the snow fall as it comes!!!!!!lol as of tomorrow I will have plowed them 3 times in 1 week.

and they still are .. " a body in motion stays in motion" , "a body at rest needs rest" is what I remember.

oic; got it. am thinking... while my body at rest right now finishing some :drinkingcoffee: ...reading 'the news'... it needs to revert into one that is: " a body in motion stays in motion"

:yes:

agenda items on the Agenda List... today's items. ;)

soon we will be starting up the modded '79 Triumph 750 Bonney... been sittin' 8 yrs. last of the fuel sys cks, etc done. crudded up fuel entry to carb fitting now clean. ready to go. soon to 'kick a tire and light the fire!'

tank, bat, fuel and Ign ON, and kick it... looking fwd to riding it.
View attachment 779805 View attachment 779806 View attachment 779807 View attachment 779808
Didn't they used to build the 650 hard tails with a reversed 750 head? Can't imagine wanting to go far on one of those bone busters. Buddy sold a 650 to another friend who knew nothing about bikes. The uneducated freind didn't survive the summer. Over lubricated meat in the seat didn't mix well with all that performance.

Latest posts

Back