Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oic; got it. am thinking... while my body at rest right now finishing some :drinkingcoffee: ...reading 'the news'... it needs to revert into one that is: " a body in motion stays in motion"

:yes:

agenda items on the Agenda List... today's items. ;)

My doc keeps ragging on me to "quit all that 'wooding". Nope, at my age once you stop doing something you lose the ability to do it again. I'll stop when they are shoveling dirt on me.

Remember those green rubber kinda lined almost winter boots? Musta been cheap cause my folks put me in em more than 1 year. My toes hurt just thinking about em.

On another note its sure sad lacrosse icemans are coming from China instead of Canada. Have 1 old pair now. Don't know what I'll replace those with.

I wear Uggs and Totes to save on the Icemans. But its just a matter of time.

I remember, always bring at least 2 pair of boots hunting, cause the waterproof ones would stay dry about 1/2 day, then you would switch. No such thing as water proof clothes or gloves, wool was your friend, and every hunter owned a Woolrich jacket and many had the matching paints.

I still have my old plaid jacket … but have not worn it for year's!

Rondeau (Adirondack Mountain man) wrote in his book that the only way to dry your boots was to leave them on your feet. My Uncle was generally a fan of his, but when I read that he remarked "he must have been near a warm fire when he wrote that"!

Agenda: glue the darker 2x6 wings (of Totara - a NZ native) on the edges of the lighter coloured slab (Kauri- another NZ native). Allegedly, my mate has promised his Mrs xmas dinner on this table, so, no pressure ;-)
View attachment 779816
KiwiBro, is any of that kiwi native timber still being harvested today, any plantations?

KiwiBro, is any of that kiwi native timber still being harvested today, any plantations?
Not from plantations. Although there was a trial of plantation grown Totara but the qualities were nothing like the old-growth trees so I think the trial was a fizzer. There are old-growth sustainable management plans that allow the select harvesting of some native forests though. It's quite a process to apply for a permit, with inspections, GPS mapping of the selected trees, measurements to project the volume of the whole forest and predicted volume growth per year, of which the plan allows a set percentage to be taken every 10 years sometimes, etc. They are usually flown out to avoid damaging anything else, so as you can guess it's not a cheap exercise, but definitely worth it in the right patch of forest though. Even if a big one blows down in a storm, we cant touch it.

20190914_065844.jpg
I have a 372xp for when the 262 doesn’t pull the weight, also a Closed Port 55. Don’t really think I need anything more then those three....

except, one day wanna upgrade the 55CP to a 346xp
You guys and your hot rod, blown and injected, ported and polished, balanced and blueprinted monster saws. I figured that my beloved old Super 1050's were getting heavier as I get older, so I broke down and put the 100CC saws on the shelf and got me a little 82CC saw. Picked it up for 40 bucks, lightly used, cost me 30 bucks for the 1/2 inch loop for the 31" bar. It's a tad lighter. All you have to do is get it started about an inch into the wood and let go, It does every thing else on it's own. Just watch it settle in the wood, grab it before it comes out the other side and start over.

I have a 372xp for when the 262 doesn’t pull the weight, also a Closed Port 55. Don’t really think I need anything more then those three....

except, one day wanna upgrade the 55CP to a 346xp
You guys and your hot rod, blown and injected, ported and polished, balanced and blueprinted monster saws. I figured that my beloved old Super 1050's were getting heavier as I get older, so I broke down and put the 100CC saws on the shelf and got me a little 82CC saw. Picked it up for 40 bucks, lightly used, cost me 30 bucks for the 1/2 inch loop for the 31" bar. It's a tad lighter. All you have to do is get it started about an inch into the wood and let go, It does every thing else on it's own. Just watch it settle in the wood, grab it before it comes out the other side and start over.

Never see any of those big old saws around here. Especially at that price. Folks here think a homelite xl is worth $125. I'd love to come across one of the big boys on the cheap and run it just for giggles.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
The white one in the truck is a Poulan Super 68, 82CC's made from 68-72, I think. I got it complete, less chain, at a farm auction in PA. There is a Stihl dealer I pass going to my property in WV. Last year I stopped in and asked if he had any old Homelites and he sold me 4 old Homelites. Three for $10 each and a 1050 for $40. This year when I went by I asked if he had any 1/2" chain? He had 2 rolls, and cut me a 31" loop for $30. When I got the Poulan home I put a shot of mix in the carb, and after about 10 pulls puffs of smoke started coming out of the exhaust, and lots of raw mix. After about 10 more pulls it fired up. I learned it floods real easy. It starts, idles, and revs like new. I'm waiting to throw some big Ash trees across some logs to keep them up off the ground. As hard as it is ti find that chain I don't want to dull it.

I picked up a Homelite C72 for $5, locked up. I soaked the cylinder with 50/50 acetone and ATF. It broke free and started. I passed a C9 because it was locked up. The auctioneer couldn't get a bid. Had to put it with something else to sell it. I used to find quite a few C series saws for less than $20. If you want one, send me a PM so I have your info. If I run across one I can't live without, you can have it for what I pay and the shipping, and I don't pay a lot for any saws.

Not gonna lie, had too much fun to catch all the way up. My pal owns a machine shop that builds some insane engines. Used to live four houses away. Now live 4 miles away.... invited me over for some fun. I think I had too much fun, if it wasn’t for auto correct I’m not sure this would come out correct. Thank god only 4 miles. Wife dropped off and his nephew delivered me home. Had a good time blowing off some steam and loosing badly to him in darts. Hope my pals on here had a Good Friday night!!! Don’t even know what was mixed with that soda, but boy did it have some kickD892C64C-2324-4221-9956-C738904D0D93.jpeg3DB0EBF8-8D15-4C41-9615-09ACADB270D8.jpegF9CA5243-D8F3-4E19-BA8B-0962952A7D7D.jpegBA49E18D-AC14-4225-A3F7-6ABFE83287E2.jpeg

I love the big old white pines that we occasionally come across. They are virgin timber but were too small to be cut 120 years ago when the original loggers came through the area.

View attachment 779838
That's cool Steve.
We have some nice whites around here too, they go mostly unnoticed.
Many have no idea of how rich the history of logging is here in Michigan, although most everyone has seen the pictures with the horses pulling the crazy huge loads on sleds taken here.
Nice link with some of the plats missed when they logged everything here.
https://www.mlive.com/life-and-cult...aa2ac8013/7-places-to-see-oldgrowth-fore.html
Heres a couple nice ones(think they are whites) up at silver lake, most were enthralled but the water, it it's beautiful, but so are the trees :).
I sat under these trees most the time we were at this beach:havingarest:.
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 11.29.36 PM.png

Didn't they used to build the 650 hard tails with a reversed 750 head? Can't imagine wanting to go far on one of those bone busters. Buddy sold a 650 to another friend who knew nothing about bikes. The uneducated freind didn't survive the summer. Over lubricated meat in the seat didn't mix well with all that performance.

not sure. don't know much about Triumph hard tails. but I do know what long-distance riding on a Triumph 650 Bonneville is like. in '71 bot a new Bonney. in '73 rode it from Corpus, TX to Tallahassee , Fl and back to CC. long ride. not especially bone busting, but a bit in the 'excessively long ride' dept!... never to be repeated, once was enough... but always to be remembered... a handful of 'Route 66' type adventures along the way...

1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
ztbsx.jpg

Back