Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be happy to make a lap and not bin it in spectacular fashion like Guy Martin.

A bit long but realy shows to what level that guy is wired differently from the rest of us.

Yep, if you make it thru the race you are a winner :numberone:.
Good video, never saw that one, didn't seem long at all.
If you've never had a bike over 150 or had the front tire off the ground at 100 then it's hard to fathom how fast they are going, and even having done those things what they are doing is at a level that's un-perceivable to me :dizzy:.
I'd still like to buzz that course, but the same woman who asked me to stop riding may have something to say about that, she probably saved my life :heart:.

Thought I'd share this with you guys, it's a card from my little junior burger.

I especially thought the serious hunters on here would dream of landing such serious game LOL.

View attachment 780485
That's awesome.
We got one from our youngest last night, I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow, very cute.
Hard not to enjoy that age, their so much fun, but it can wear you out(but I'm old lol).

@Cowboy254 you can do it :reading: :rock: :lol:.

Last year I was afraid that I might end up with too much wood to handle so I turned some loads away and I ran so low I sold out by new years. This year I'm taking all he is will bring, If it goes bad before I can split it, I'll just pile it up and have a bon fire.
I have a guy a few miles down the road that has a mill and sells milled wood of all types. He comes by and buys some pieces and logs from time to time. I also get some wood carvers and wood turners looking for wood so having plenty of logs laying around gives them whole pieces you cut and ruff out to the way they want it. Had 2 different wood turners come in yesterday and bought some rounds and logs for there projects.

@Cowboy254 you can do it :reading: :rock: :lol:.

I made it! FNL, you blokes. A bloke takes a week off and come back to find he's a thousand posts behind. But I always make sure I read all the posts made while I'm away, don't want to miss any good scrounges. There's going to be some serious @MechanicMatt style quoting going on now, though...

There are many different types of Maple, and they run the full range of hardness (depending on where you live).

Black Maple (Rock Maple) and Sugar Maple (Hard Maple) are close to as hard as any other wood out there, and have BTUs similar to Oak - they burn for a long time.

Red Maple (Swamp Maple) is much softer, but burns OK.

Silver Maple, Sycamore and Box Elder (all in the Maple family) are very soft and burn very fast. If you want to show off a saw, demonstrate it with one of them!

Norway Maple is an import, it is not as hard as Sugar Maple but is harder than Red Maple. It is also very stringy and very hard to split.

I believe other places have big leaf maple, which is also pretty darn soft.

Do not make the mistake of lumping all Maples as being the same, they are more diverse than any other wood that I know of.

I get this. We have eucalypts that are almost as light as pine and split as soon as you raise an eyebrow at them and then there are others that sink in water and you had better settle in for a long session if you want to split it by hand. :chop:

I've heard all kinds of myths about different woods. Can't burn pine because of creosote I've even heard that about poplar. People around here think that if it's not sugar maple, you can't heat your house with it. All wood has roughly the same BTUs per pound, some woods are just more dense than others. Silver maple and box elder get a bad rap IMO. I use a lot of them and have great results. I'll take Silver maple all day. To be fair my house is relatively easy to heat and I have the correct size stove in a modern design with secondary burn. If I had a hundred year old farmhouse with an old timer smoke dragon, I might be more of a wood snob. Whenever I hear one of these myths I always ask, " gee what do they do up north where they don't have hardwood?"
Proper seasoning is something that gets missed almost always around here. I see people getting their firewood delivered in the fall and I know it's only been cut and split and not stacked probably only a month ago. Many woods need a couple years to season and they won't dry in the round even if the ends look cracked. Wood cut in the winter before sap rises will season faster. I have been a fortunate scrounger and have my next winters wood split and stacked already out on the fence line in the wind and sun. I have found a huge difference since I have been splitting a year ahead and getting 2 summers worth of sun and dry wind on my wood. Fire starts easier and I am able to choke it back more for longer hotter fires and cleaner with a good secondary burn.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

It took me a while to appreciate the 'drier is better' angle. I thought that greener wood would burn longer but it ain't putting out anything like the heat of the same wood that is better seasoned. I figure that I'll burn anything now as long as it doesn't leave a ton of ash, just depends on what you need it to do at the time, density/burn-time-wise.

I'm a total badass compared to some of you blokes. I had two saws when I joined AS. I must have been ahead of the curve because I was researching my third saw (Limby) when I came across AS.

Lots of things can kill you from a volcano...lava is a minor component, in most cases, you could get out of the way of lava. Hawaii is constantly erupting, hardly ever any injuries...heck, the geologists (volcanologists?) play with it.

Mostly it is pyroclastic flows of superheated gas and ash that gets most...it happens fast, and there is really no escaping it if your nearby. I believe that is what killed all the people and buried Pompeii and Herculaneum?

The other thing is ejecta, volcanic bombs, things of that nature...get hit by a 100 pound rock falling at 50mph and your not going to wake up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pompeii got the airborne ash, Herculaneum got the pyroclastic flow. I did several years of Latin at school and was fascinated by Pompeii. I went there in 2003 and it was fantastic, just amazing.

Why can’t it ever end up being MORE wood than I thought it was......[emoji848]...[emoji1787]

136307c57ab939a1f7e86be9c1cf0b19.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

It's like the fish you have on the line that gets progressively smaller the closer it gets to the boat. The positive spin is that you'll get to use your saw more to make up the difference! :chainsaw:

So we went away last week to our regular coastal fishing spot. I drove down early with great anticipation...

16th Dec 6.jpg

Unfortunately the entrance to the estuary was closed which shut down most of the fish. Fortunately, the scenery was stihl excellent.

16th Dec 5.jpg

However, we decided to troll around in the boat with metal lures hoping for tailor and did ok.

16th Dec 4.jpg
And the next day...

16th Dec 3.jpg

Cowgirl doesn't like making things dead but I'm happy to bump off anything I plan on eating so we have a deal that once we get home, it's over to her.

16th Dec 2.jpg

Tailor are an oily fish, well suited to smoking but are also great fresh, lightly pan-fried in oil with garlic. :yes: :sweet:

Santa came early again this year.

16th Dec 1.jpg

The local CFA (Country Fire Authority - all volunteers) chuck Santa onto the back of a fire engine and tour the streets handing out sweets (Aus: lollies) to kids in town. Always a favourite with the kids, but also with their crusty old parents.

16th Dec 8.jpg

:)

I was butchering the deer yesterday morning. My daughter and SIL were moving to their new apartment after church. I forgot to take a bucket of hot water out to the shed to wash my hands. So, I'm walking around the house and the moving guys are knocking on the door. They were there about 30 minutes early. I told the foreman sorry I was covered with blood, I was butchering a deer. He started tripping out, he wanted to see it, said his mom was Jamaican and ate "all that kind of stuff". Then the other two guys show up. One guy starts patting his chest, pointing at the deer, and then the knives. The other guys said he was from Georgia and didn't speak English. Georgia, as in next to Russia. He hit that deer like Edward Scissor Hands. He whacked the pelvis with my little throwing ax, then grabbed it in some kind of wrestling hold, and crack, busted it in half. Gave him a big rump roast. I think we were both pleased.

So we went away last week to our regular coastal fishing spot. I drove down early with great anticipation...

View attachment 780508

Unfortunately the entrance to the estuary was closed which shut down most of the fish. Fortunately, the scenery was stihl excellent.

View attachment 780506

However, we decided to troll around in the boat with metal lures hoping for tailor and did ok.

View attachment 780507
And the next day...

View attachment 780509

Cowgirl doesn't like making things dead but I'm happy to bump off anything I plan on eating so we have a deal that once we get home, it's over to her.

View attachment 780510

Tailor are an oily fish, well suited to smoking but are also great fresh, lightly pan-fried in oil with garlic. :yes: :sweet:
Those look good. I haven't eaten any fish in a while. I do have a small cod tenderloin I bought from the local meat market in the freezer though.

It was our anniversary yesterday, so I went out for dinner. Had peppercorn Tuna (rare), and it was real good!

Cowboy, those almost look like little Blue Fish, and the description matches! They are great fighters, but not the best for eating! They also have razor sharp teeth, and they will go for you!

I made it! FNL, you blokes. A bloke takes a week off and come back to find he's a thousand posts behind. But I always make sure I read all the posts made while I'm away, don't want to miss any good scrounges. There's going to be some serious @MechanicMatt style quoting going on now, though...
It's fun when you get bumped out of the thread and don't get alerts for a while too :nofunny:.
Glad you made it back :).
Great pictures :picture:, the fish looked :sweet:.

It's fun when you get bumped out of the thread and don't get alerts for a while too :nofunny:.
Glad you made it back :).
Great pictures :picture:, the fish looked :sweet:.
I just got an alert and didn't remember the thread. Started reading it and remembered it, it was a couple years old. People quoted me and I never responded because I didn't get an alert. Then I got to thinking, it might have been when I was on the farm with no reception, and when I came home I had 50-60 alerts and only looked at the first ten or so.

I just got an alert and didn't remember the thread. Started reading it and remembered it, it was a couple years old. People quoted me and I never responded because I didn't get an alert. Then I got to thinking, it might have been when I was on the farm with no reception, and when I came home I had 50-60 alerts and only looked at the first ten or so.
It happens if you don't respond after getting alerts, it's worse on other forums than here, there you may get bumped out even when you are looking at a thread when you get an alert :badpc:.

Latest posts

Back