Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shucky darn...Finished split/pile the 10th cord and then planned how to get the splitter from there across sthe woodlot to the stack of rounds...then realized I couldn't do that. There is 4 cord there to do but it is planned for the space taken up by 4 cured cord waiting for deliverhy in the spring. That leaves me with around 1 cord or a bit and I will be cabin bound for the rest of the winter.

Supposed to snow again tomorrow for and inch or two. I'll just shovel a path over to that 1 cord pile and manually split if I can find the wedgs and sledge. Got about 8" snow on ground. Shovel rather than fight that snow blower again...It does not do well at all in old snow and most of what is on the ground is around a month old.

Shoveled a narrow path to the rounds rick, turned the corner and was looking at 2' drift right where I wanted to work and pile. I bit the bullet and drug out that 10hp snow blower. Surprise, it went right through it without the usual fight and the slipply disc drive didn't slip for a change. Cleared out the area and went into ***** mode, To lazzy to actually split anything...maybe tomorrow. I did find the fiskars, sledge, maul. Didn't look for the wedges but I think I stuck them in the wood pile next to the sledge. Even found the hookaroon. It was laying horizontal on top of a round but the orange end of the handle was sticking out.

Well, I was cutting some of the bigger locust pieces and the 262 turned off. Figured it was outta gas. Grabbed the 266 cause 362/372 was at home. Finished cutting, filled the truck and went home. Get home, unload and go to gas up the saws. 262 isn’t empty...... hmmmm. Try and start it, she don’t feel right. Feels like decomp is pressed and it’s not. Compression gauge comes out and only 100psi. VERY frustrated! I mix 40:1 with Stihl orange bottles and had it tuned to 4stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. BEYOND FRUSTRATED right now! WTF!!!!

I don’t know if the decomp was leaking or what, it seems to be all on that clutch side!EA099D21-C35F-439D-929E-12456F437C77.jpeg

Well, I was cutting some of the bigger locust pieces and the 262 turned off. Figured it was outta gas. Grabbed the 266 cause 362/372 was at home. Finished cutting, filled the truck and went home. Get home, unload and go to gas up the saws. 262 isn’t empty...... hmmmm. Try and start it, she don’t feel right. Feels like decomp is pressed and it’s not. Compression gauge comes out and only 100psi. VERY frustrated! I mix 40:1 with Stihl orange bottles and had it tuned to 4stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. BEYOND FRUSTRATED right now! WTF!!!!

I don’t know if the decomp was leaking or what, it seems to be all on that clutch side!View attachment 789665
When was last time you replaced ring. Vacuum check case? Is intake side scored?

I don’t know if the decomp was leaking or what, it seems to be all on that clutch side!View attachment 789665
That sucks big time Matt, I hope you find the root cause and it cleans up for you.
I did not press the like button.

Well , NFLD got hit hard https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/blizzard-newfoundland-1.5430457
And we got sunshine and a cold blast , 0F this morning with a NorEast wind .
My wood rack at the house was getting empty so I waited till 10ish and off I went :)

KnxDyVX.jpg

I busted up some rounds and got a load
ONHP8jg.jpg

KdBqY4E.jpg

Made a beeline for home, had me a sammich, unloaded and realized that I needed more wood so,,
AETbIIm.jpg

I busted up another load, bigger this time :)
ZZxEM04.jpg

EtolKTZ.jpg

Got it home, filled the rack :)
I need some sides and have to install my headache rack, I don't want to test the structural back window ;)
5" to 10" on the way tomorrow so today was the day .

We're getting a bit of a storm here so this morning my wife said good day to help her with our taxes. No problem I say, I'm just gonna run out and get some wood for the stove. Put on all my gear, headed to the barn got in the tractor, drove up to the kitchen window with the saw box on the forks, revved it up a bit until she came over to look, I gave her and wave and headed to the bush.
4' snow banks in places so I had to drive in the field instead of on the trail. Visibility was a couple of hundred feet at best, snow squalls at about 60 kms, didn't stop me though. Once I got to the bush though there was a bunch more trees blown over and some over the trail so I had to cut my way in. I only had to cut 3 trees down the rest were already on the ground or close to it. The root balls are pretty small for the size of the trees. Nearly froze to death at the wind side of the bush but it wasn't safe to be working very far into the bush. Got them all yarded up and most of them cut to log length before I touched the dirt, that's when I noticed that in my rush I had forgot my toolbox with wrench and chains in it. Oh well, burnt my way thru the last two trees then headed home. My tracks had completely filled in so more trail blazing. Got home , sharpened the chain ,set the tool box beside the saw, filled the OWB with wood then into the house. Went in like I had only been gone 10 minutes, said " got the wood for the stove where's them tax papers at". That's when she told me how much she loved me and that her sisters were right, I am a great husband. At least that's what I heard. She did feed me supper though. Looks like I'm going to have to get up early in the morning and sneak out before breakfast but at least this time I'll have my extra chains.

Attachments

• 20200118_143316.jpg
    20200118_143316.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200118_143325.jpg
    20200118_143325.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200118_143336.jpg
    20200118_143336.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200118_143401.jpg
    20200118_143401.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200118_164443.jpg
    20200118_164443.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200118_164454.jpg
    20200118_164454.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200118_164506.jpg
    20200118_164506.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
I dunno if we have any NFLD members ?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/weathering-the-storm-1.5432028
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/newfoundland-blizzard-photos-1.5432138

I threw some popple from todays loads in the furnace and opened the draft to see if I can burn down some of the coals that have built up from this extended hardwood burn .
Cantoo my wife cooked me a moose T-bone with shrooms and onions and a side of baked carrots and baby taters , then she helped me unload the Ef3Fiddy ;)

Worked for about 4 hours in blowing snow today to get my Grandfather's woodpile finished. He should be set for 2 more winters at minimum. New 038 AV Super runs great; doesn't cut as fast as my MS 261, but it dutifully ploughs along, and idles all day long if I set it down and walk away to get a snack.

Now that the old man's got ~10 cords to himself, I have another neighbour who needs a dead maple felled and removed. Not much of a trunk on it, but it should be good for 1/3 cord of nice hardwood. That'll be next on the to-do list.

Well , NFLD got hit hard https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/blizzard-newfoundland-1.5430457
And we got sunshine and a cold blast , 0F this morning with a NorEast wind .
My wood rack at the house was getting empty so I waited till 10ish and off I went :)

KnxDyVX.jpg

I busted up some rounds and got a load
ONHP8jg.jpg

KdBqY4E.jpg

Made a beeline for home, had me a sammich, unloaded and realized that I needed more wood so,,
AETbIIm.jpg

I busted up another load, bigger this time :)
ZZxEM04.jpg

EtolKTZ.jpg

Got it home, filled the rack :)
I need some sides and have to install my headache rack, I don't want to test the structural back window ;)
5" to 10" on the way tomorrow so today was the day .

I swear the world has been turned upside down! A F350??!?? That’s cheat’en!!!

After all the smoke which made it crappy to be outside for the last two weeks or more, today was somewhat clearer. Took No.1 son down to the lake to see if we could catch a trout. He doesn't have the patience for bait fishing (neither do I) but now that he is big enough at age 12 to cast a lure, maybe he'll get interested. So we went down to a spot where he could cast without getting tangled up. I went through how to work the lure, what speed, should see the rod-tip pulsing etc.

Naturally I was delighted when he caught his first trout outside a trout farm. I was perhaps slightly less excited when he then caught his second one while I was stihl on donuts. He reckons it's easy now. Creamy trout pasta for dinner tonight!

19th Jan 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back