Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some nice loads, never cut it or burned it before.
What did you use the jack for, getting the trailer off the truck.
It burns really good burns as hot as oak with less ash. The only wood that burns hotter is eucalyptus around here the hi lift was laying in the bed of my work truck so I moved it out of the way before throwing wood into the bed. I was wanting to bring the dump trailer but my uncle borrowed it and didn’t take it to the dump this weekend so got stuck taking the smallest trailer I have

I promised some pics from Thurs/Fri: 1) Me, the truck and the cabin; 2) the lonely outhouse (deluxe, it has a window and a soft seat), 3) the Oak table + bench are doing fine, and 4) the Hickory workbench with the vice.
Great pics Mike!

I need to get up to my cabin soon. Haven’t been there since Thanksgiving because we got snowed out so I need to bring the snowmobile. And now there’s so damn much snow that I’ll end up getting the snowmobile stuck when I break trail into my cabin.

Well I’m working for most of tomorrow but may duck out a bit early. There’s a couple of trees down back on the power line right of way that I’d like to bring home via snowmobile and sleigh. I had a nicely packed trail but we’ve had a solid 20” of snow since I’ve been back there so it’s going to need some work, especially if I’m going to be hauling several hundred pounds of wood per trip on the sleigh.

Oh and there’s one steep hill I need to go down so I had better fix the brakes on the snowmobile too.

Got started cutting up 2 Oak and 2 Hickory that uprooted during a storm last week. Winter of 21 maybe 22, just happened to be 100’ from an oak pile I’m working on splitting up.
5b0c903662c60fb220565080777d5e42.jpg
aebac586256fe438f742f9529efeef54.jpg

Mistakes were made, I blame it on the cold or the fact I had to swap bars to get the first one out of a pinch.
6298dde37a62f4baf9d8f3de0fb5632f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not to proud to admit it. I've done that, very early on in my chainsaw days. I didn't notice initially and leaned on it a bit to make it cut better. It didn't, though it did cut a bit. Didn't do the chain much good though and IIRC it then didn't cut really well when I flipped it over the right way. Maybe I bent the cutters back a bit the wrong way, I guess they're not designed for that force to be applied from behind. I've checked twice every single time I've changed a chain since :buttkick:.

You know; that might be a great idea, to sharpen the chain on each end of the tooth. Dull one side, flip your bar over and you're back to cutting.

Why bother flipping the bar? Just use the chainsaw upside down :laugh:.

Grayling was a warm -17 F this morning. 12+ people went through Houghton Lake this weekend, Tip Up Town USA. Several snowmobiles, newer Pickup, a couple cars and others. Open water near Denton Creek and Cut river, what could be better, fast sleds, thin ice and a beer tent? Lucky no one died this weekend.

Also-just looking at my saws reminds me that 2 of the 3 have dull chains from cutting on the roadway yesterday. Don’t anyone let me forget to sharpen them. Lol.

I put up the saws back in early December with about 6 chains hanging on the 'to be sharped' nail. Winter project. They are still there...

Back