Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving these pics guys! I’m kind of obsessed with owls, never seen a snowy, but don’t except to unless I start spending lots of time up north. down here it’s barred owls all the time, occasional great horned, barn owls and screechers Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi St - thot it was a squirrel in tree few days back. caught it out of corner of eye while out in yard past dark-30. didn't move. so got my camera. still dint move. snap, snap!... still din't move. then about 20 mins later, gone... guess he had moved....
P6070024.JPG P6070023.JPG

Here is my kindling splitter:
dac838d430ebfd3abdce674b06ca8fbd.jpg

Anyone else made something like this?

Haven’t kept up with the paper vs plastic bag discussion, but I loved hearing folks’ owl stories. Maybe need to start an owl thread [emoji1657]! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice little tool Smacktooth. This thread has a little bit of everything. Just wait, maple syrup season is just around the corner. :laugh:

Well, talking to the little old widow next door yesterday, found out her boiler is down and she’s about outta wood for her insert. Told the wife all of this and she told me to bring over a load of wood for her before it rains. So, no scrounging for me this morning, gonna be a delivery man

Well, talking to the little old widow next door yesterday, found out her boiler is down and she’s about outta wood for her insert. Told the wife all of this and she told me to bring over a load of wood for her before it rains. So, no scrounging for me this morning, gonna be a delivery man
Good on you Matt. How's the pooch. I may have missed an update.

20200124_112410.jpg Got the cherry at the end of the drive way all split up and moved to the racks. Even got the FIL to help unload and stack. 20200124_192201.jpg Yalked to this guy at the gas station last night. He said this is what it takes to fit a full cord of splits on an f250. Says people tell him it's more when he delivers. His response is to tell them they've never recieved a full cord befor.

View attachment 791737 Got the cherry at the end of the drive way all split up and moved to the racks. Even got the FIL to help unload and stack. View attachment 791738 Yalked to this guy at the gas station last night. He said this is what it takes to fit a full cord of splits on an f250. Says people tell him it's more when he delivers. His response is to tell them they've never recieved a full cord befor.
Exactly.

I’d say most sellers under deliver. Except for the guy by me who over delivers to try and gain market share. Not sure what he’s achieving when he’s losing money though!!!

I like the scrounging ahead barrel in the road:laughing:.
Looks like some nice wood, it sure can be hard when it gets seasoned.
Looks like you may have misses the spruce just ahead lol.
View attachment 791626
Just posted this video cutting some ash:chainsaw:.

I had some cones out the garbage truck left the trash barrel there. This ash is hard as a rock . The stump you see is at my bil house he had it taken down ,to close to the power line for comfort . I believe it was a silver maple

Home all day today.

Several projects though. Need to fix the plow again (hopefully a minor issue). Shovel some snow off the roofs where ice is damming up. Put new brake pads in the snowmobile. Haul the second rack of wood in to the furnace room from my neighbor’s yard. Hope to get up the hill and start cutting on the blowdown trees as well.

So in other words we may not get it all done.

So........
I got an email invitation to go interview for the service manager position at the Chevrolet dealership in Danbury Conneticut. I think I’m going to thank them for considering but decline. I’ve always been a super loyal employee and the current dealership is the one that moved me from Mechanic to Management

But........ half of me says it’s only a 1:15 drive, let’s see what the offer is...... it might be substantially more than I make now

I would at least see what they offer.

Always good helping a neighbor out.

The 462 has a mild muffler mod … 2 - 1/4" holes drilled in the muffler cover.

The 10 mm 044 has a dp muff cover, base gasket delete, timing advance, and a winter (screen) air filter. It is a very strong running saw, and has beat a ported 044.

I've timed the 044 and 462 against each other a couple of times, and they are about equal.
Thank you.

Matt got a good promotion with very good pay, is liked and respected by his boss, is very close to home, gets to borrow trucks, and has meeting with the supervisors doing Sporting Clays!

I can't imagine the new place could offer anything that would make that addl commute worth while (take it from someone who endured long commutes for decades).

I think I'd be careful not to loose what I've got!

There was only a brief period when my commute was less than an hour (each way) and I vowed I would not give that up … and then they moved the office from North White Plains to New Rochelle!!!

Sometimes you can't win!

Home all day today.

Several projects though. Need to fix the plow again (hopefully a minor issue). Shovel some snow off the roofs where ice is damming up. Put new brake pads in the snowmobile. Haul the second rack of wood in to the furnace room from my neighbor’s yard. Hope to get up the hill and start cutting on the blowdown trees as well.

So in other words we may not get it all done.
Did you forget sharpen the chains already?!

SVK ran my 044 a long time ago … don't think it had the timing advance or base gasket delete then, but it was a good running saw.
It was a very good running saw.

What really impressed me was that it literally ran away from a ported 362 using the same size B+C. Which on paper definitely shouldn’t happen.

Remind me, that day you had the ported 362, stock 044, ported 046. What was the third saw? Ported 044?

Back in the fall I cut some bamboo down that was getting to close to our power lines, I usually run it through the chipper but a coworker was suppose to come get it for his garden which never happened. It has been laying out by the road for the last few months so I decided to give it a shot as kindling the other day. Ive used it now a couple times and I like it, it seems like it really burns hot.IMG_20200123_125614.jpg

Welp, I used the two Fiskars to resize all my splits to micro splits for the neighbor. Then decided if my Uncle can split by hand to stay in shape, so can I! Then decided in my head that all the rounds to the right will be hand split and all the rounds to the left I’ll let old blue handle.

While splitting the neighbor comes out to walk her dogs. She sees the pile I left stacked on her rack and starts thanking me. I tell her I have more than enough wood and when that runs out I’ll fill it again. Tried to tell me that it isn’t necessary and I let her know that if I don’t refill her pile my wife will whoop me. She chuckled and said well thank God for your wife....

Attachments

• 7EA71DED-50AA-47A9-AFCC-ABF5B2B1975B.jpeg
    7EA71DED-50AA-47A9-AFCC-ABF5B2B1975B.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • FF1C3635-20B4-4628-8375-0B1E598E2710.jpeg
    FF1C3635-20B4-4628-8375-0B1E598E2710.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 4D95586F-D321-4C6F-BFB5-588EFCC8A32C.jpeg
    4D95586F-D321-4C6F-BFB5-588EFCC8A32C.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 639E3C4E-79EE-49A1-A47C-4CB4F49EC7C3.jpeg
    639E3C4E-79EE-49A1-A47C-4CB4F49EC7C3.jpeg