Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you Matt. How's the pooch. I may have missed an update.

I came home from shooting the other day and the swelling was half way down, so I figured I’d let it ride till today. This morning it’s barely noticeable.

Thanks for asking. He was being a stinker this morning though. I had him in the cab of the truck when delivering the wood. I was trying to do it all sneaky like. When I’d walk to the truck to get another arm full he’d be quite and happy. Second I was walking back towards her house yapping and whinny. I was sure he was gonna tip her off.....

Cleaned up around the stove today cuase it was warm yesterday and I let it burn all the way out. Right after I started the new fire remembered I gonna clean the glass so was frantically wiping it down as the kindling was starting [emoji23]
f31c0f7e68ba6869083c2f284ac32d74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a very good running saw.

What really impressed me was that it literally ran away from a ported 362 using the same size B+C. Which on paper definitely shouldn’t happen.

Remind me, that day you had the ported 362, stock 044, ported 046. What was the third saw? Ported 044?

Hard to keep track of it all and the timing of mods, etc., but that sounds about right, the MMWS 362, 044 and Smittybilt 046. Then I got another 10mm 044 that did not run as strong as the 1st one so I had it ported so it would keep up (then I did more mods to 044 #1 and it didn't keep up).

I then had a couple of ported 460s and an MS 440 that I fixed, they all ran great but I had to cut back. Of these I only still have the MOFO 460, but I also now have 2 Hybrids … and a MOFO 360!

The 362 is only 59 cc, the 044 is almost 72 cc, it is a lot to make up, and my 044 runs as good as many ported saws. Some just come through better than others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Welp, I used the two Fiskars to resize all my splits to micro splits for the neighbor. Then decided if my Uncle can split by hand to stay in shape, so can I! Then decided in my head that all the rounds to the right will be hand split and all the rounds to the left I’ll let old blue handle.

While splitting the neighbor comes out to walk her dogs. She sees the pile I left stacked on her rack and starts thanking me. I tell her I have more than enough wood and when that runs out I’ll fill it again. Tried to tell me that it isn’t necessary and I let her know that if I don’t refill her pile my wife will whoop me. She chuckled and said well thank God for your wife....
Good man!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

@MustangMike STOP selling off your 044’s and 440’s. You know I love my orange saws but, those particular Stihls are GREAT firewood makers. Especially the original pro saw our family had. That’s the saw that started all of the Noviello love for saws.

My dad had a client who lost a handful of big oaks in a hurricane in Peekskill. He ran his MS460 and I ran your 044 the first weekend we were there. That week I bought my 362xp. Next weekend I was running orange. Kent ended up renting the biggest uhaul he could and we used it to transport all the wood to his house.

You never expressed interest in anything but my original 044 and my MOFO 360, both of which I still own. But don't worry, I've replaced the 044 and 440 with Hybrids that run even stronger … so no complaining!

And, you should have gotten the OEM top for your 372 and had that ported, they run very nice!

Why is it that I can go months without throwing a chain and I did two yesterday . . .
Update both chains are toast . . . . Tried filing the the burrs on the drive links . One spot binds on the drive sprocket.
Probably can still be saved with some additional work on the drive links. Can be fussy, and may not be worth your time. But generally doable.

Philbert

@MustangMike STOP selling off your 044’s and 440’s. You know I love my orange saws but, those particular Stihls are GREAT firewood makers. Especially the original pro saw our family had. That’s the saw that started all of the Noviello love for saws.

My dad had a client who lost a handful of big oaks in a hurricane in Peekskill. He ran his MS460 and I ran your 044 the first weekend we were there. That week I bought my 362xp. Next weekend I was running orange. Kent ended up renting the biggest uhaul he could and we used it to transport all the wood to his house.
Where's the 362 now.
Throw a stock 50mm cylinder on the 365 in the fiskers picture above with a 268 popup isn and put a side tensioner on it, that would make a cheap fun saw
:chainsaw:.

Probably can still be saved with some additional work on the drive links. Can be fussy, and may not be worth your time. But generally doable.

Philbert

My flat file it pretty dull I'm going to get a new one today and see if I can work ot out. Raining anyway and I'm out of beer.

Why is it that I can go months without throwing a chain and I did two yesterday
Update both chains are toast . Get hung up every revolution . Tried filing the the burrs on the drive links . One spot binds on the drive sprocket. Only been sharpened 4 or 5 times.

View attachment 791790 View attachment 791791
I see the problem, your blades is upside down:laughing:.
I agree with Philbert, nothing that can't be fixed.
I like to use the little 12volt grinders for this, beats filing for ease.

I had some cones out the garbage truck left the trash barrel there. This ash is hard as a rock . The stump you see is at my bil house he had it taken down ,to close to the power line for comfort . I believe it was a silver maple
Nice of them to help you out :).
Yeah the way the larger branch came off the side and the whiter color was a fair give away, but I still thought it was funny :dumb:, I'll try again later lol.

Matt got a good promotion with very good pay, is liked and respected by his boss, is very close to home, gets to borrow trucks, and has meeting with the supervisors doing Sporting Clays!

I can't imagine the new place could offer anything that would make that addl commute worth while (take it from someone who endured long commutes for decades).

I think I'd be careful not to loose what I've got!

There was only a brief period when my commute was less than an hour (each way) and I vowed I would not give that up … and then they moved the office from North White Plains to New Rochelle!!!

Sometimes you can't win!
I thought the same thing.
The grass is greener on the other side, but once you see how much crap it takes to get it...

Back