Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to move my hydro splitter to the back near the wood today, but it is just too wet. So I just grabbed the X-27 and focused on Oak and Hickory. I'll leave the Maple, Black Birch and Beech for the hydro when I get it back there.

My list for easiest to split straight grain wood includes Ash, Black Walnut, Oak and Hickory. Black Cherry is often not bad.

On the other end of the spectrum are Elm, Norway Maple, and Black Birch.

Dang that is a good deal. With the amount I cut I’d be set for life [emoji12]how do these compare to EXL, LGX? I only know Oregon chain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not 100%, I've seen these ship as a standard full chisel chain with the smaller anti vibe ramps(72LPX), and I've seen them ship with no ramp at all(Oregon 72LGX). Exl is Oregons newest chain, great chain, I'm liking them, they are much harder so filing them is a bit more work, they are more durable though.
Either way both chains will cut very close to each other, if you are doing a lot of bore cutting you may prefer the LGX, it's not too hard to grind the smaller ramps off the LPX if you get it though:crazy2:.
I'll see what I have downstairs(I'd like both cutters to be very close in length for a good comparison), maybe I can do a video of both for you with bore cutting. I already have a good number of videos running both chains, just don't think I have any of both boring with both.

My floors been one disaster. Actually it will be fine but my expectations have been dialed down a bit.

Bare wood.

View attachment 792522

First coat.

View attachment 792519

Can see it got a little blotchy and rougher than I'd like. See how it comes out soon just put a second coat on about half an hour ago. Just a small room so it doesn't really have to be perfect. Will hardly see the floor when the furniture is put back.

View attachment 792521
If all else fails just tell yourself “it’s a floor.... it’s there to be walked on”.

Well, we got tons of corruption here, just look at how rich all the folks who go into politics are!!!

But as for Transparency, Trump is about as transparent as it gets!!! If he even thinks about thinking about it, you know it!
Submitted ATF Form 1 on like 12/21. Approved yesterday. If anybody wants/needs a suppressor, hurry while the gettins good. (assuming you live in a free state)

https://creativearmsllc.com/2019/01/31/atf-form-1-eform-guide-walkthrough/

Biggest one yet. This sucker is 8’ diameter at the base and 10’ tall. Maple cherry and tiny bit of black locust.

now im working on some oak that has been bucked and laying in a pile for 1.5 years. Was dying/dead when cut down. Some of it is Dryer that I thought it would be. Still separating the splits based on how they look into 2 different piles. “2020 winter pile” and “2012 winter pile”

wife and son will be gone monday-friday this week. Time to finally work on a buddies saw and get the rest of the pile split.
Not quite as neat as yours.:( Finally finished up my scrounged oak pile from last winter.
20200127_153451.jpg

FS, that looks like seasoned wood that is ready to burn, no point in stacking it neat just to burn it!

Besides, it will likely dry better like that, more air between the pieces.

I don't stack wood to be neat, I just do it to save space.

The Oak and Hickory I'm splitting now are far wetter than your stuff. I'm just hoping it will be good for next year if I get it split before Tax Season.

Found a nice pecan tree down, mostly cut up to manageable size rounds yesterday. Loaded up a truckload of smaller rounds and this morning brought the trailer to get the bigger rounds. Easy scrounge, close to work.View attachment 792759 View attachment 792761
I love winter. But being up here in thigh to chest deep snow, seeing your green grass is sure inviting.

Well, we got tons of corruption here, just look at how rich all the folks who go into politics are!!!

But as for Transparency, Trump is about as transparent as it gets!!! If he even thinks about thinking about it, you know it!
Corruption is huge. Lots of under the table dealings. But you already know that being you worked in accounting!!

FS, that looks like seasoned wood that is ready to burn, no point in stacking it neat just to burn it!

Besides, it will likely dry better like that, more air between the pieces.

I don't stack wood to be neat, I just do it to save space.

The Oak and Hickory I'm splitting now are far wetter than your stuff. I'm just hoping it will be good for next year if I get it split before Tax Season.
That was cut last year about this time. Stihl pretty wet. I think it dries faster in a pile like that because of air flow. I only stack my hickory and locust snob wood. :)

15 sold? Crazy.
Even NZ is cheaper than that!

*edit* LOL - I only just realised it's 5-packs. NZ is slightly cheaper...if it was just one chain. HAHA, so I guess that means we are almost 5x dearer.
Had a buddy that used to do stump grinding. When he quit, he gave me all his old chains. About 30 total, 24in for huskey's. Most had only been sharpened a time or two. I have cut a few of them down to fit my 20in bars, took the pieces and made a couple of 32in chains, but probably still have enough to do the rest of my life. I keep them because I have a 24in bar on the old 272. Now that I think about it, I think I gave the 32in bar/chains to another buddy to go on a 385.

Latest posts

Back