Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just sell it as is with full disclosure. Plenty of guys that can fix it and run it. I’ve bought a few Husqvarna blown up. Fixed them and run them. A few of my bucket list saws came into my possession in disrepair. My 55ClosedPort and my BELOVED 262xp. Of course a 310 sure ain’t either of those, but guys love Stihls so I’m sure you could find a new home for it

Or just sell it as is with full disclosure. Plenty of guys that can fix it and run it. I’ve bought a few Husqvarna blown up. Fixed them and run them. A few of my bucket list saws came into my possession in disrepair. My 55ClosedPort and my BELOVED 262xp. Of course a 310 sure ain’t either of those, but guys love Stihls so I’m sure you could find a new home for it
That’s what my dealer buddy and my FIL said to do.

I dunno. Gonna have to really think on it.

Got a little more split today and actually got farther than I thought I would have the middle daughter came out to help while Mom and older sister went to softball practice. It sure is a big plus when someone is there to run the lever for you. :rock: View attachment 797709View attachment 797710
Indeed it is!

I’m blessed with three helpers, four when Pops comes too.

Looks like a good haul. Nice work.

I generally buy off ebay. This one is already in the States (so it will arrive much sooner) and has free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-Cylin...817450?hash=item23cdb180aa:g:zMYAAOSwStheAysG

If it is your first time pulling a Stihl Clamshell saw apart, you may curse me, but it is a learning experience. When you reassemble it, don't put the gasket cement on the seals.

There are lots of vids out there.

Well, good and bad news from my local dealer.

Good news: they replaced the carb on the Wife’s MS180 for free, and I dropped off the 254 to be fixed.

Bad news: While my MS310 has 140psi of compression, the cylinder wall and piston are scored on the exhaust side :( I wanted it checked over before I list it for sale online. I’m glad I did. Looks like a parts saw now...
Saw salvage probably has the best selection of good AM 390 stuff for your saw if you want to get as close to OE 390 as possible. If you want a cheap rebuild kit I’d recommend the one from HLS.

I have my cousin in law’s 290 in my garage waiting for the very same thing.

@dancan judging by your pics a few days ago, I’m gonna guess 4L60..... in the shop some guys love them because they are cake to rebuild other guys hate them because..... they always blow up under normal use.

4L60 was the same transmission used in s10’s, Colorado’s, Caprice’s, Camaro’s etc.... In the smaller vehicles, they lasted “ok”. When you start putting them in Tahoe’s, Suburban’s, K1500, Express Vans..... they go boom

My one Camaro has one, the way I beat it.. my one master tech calls it the 4futureNeutral60

The 4L60e in my 98 blazer is slipping in 1/2 and reverse when under a good load. I am told that the sun gear is stripped on the basket. Does that sound legit?
I bought a donor tranny and a rebuild kit to build in my spare time as I am still using the blazer as a work truck. May end up paying someone to swap the old with the rebuilt as all my time seems to go toward firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw salvage probably has the best selection of good AM 390 stuff for your saw if you want to get as close to OE 390 as possible. If you want a cheap rebuild kit I’d recommend the one from HLS.

I have my cousin in law’s 290 in my garage waiting for the very same thing.
What’s Saw Salvage? I googled, and no luck.

Got a little more split today and actually got farther than I thought I would have the middle daughter came out to help while Mom and older sister went to softball practice. It sure is a big plus when someone is there to run the lever for you. :rock: View attachment 797709View attachment 797710
Lotsa firewood in that. What are you bucking those logs with? If it's in your sig, I turned them off ages ago. I take it a log lift on the splitter? How do you deal with the still heavy splits when those rounds are first split, or are you noodling them before they go on the splitter or? And I am duty bound to say this - shoulda milled it

Been busy as heck with Taxes, and it is cold and rainy here today, but yesterday I took a few minutes to cut a few rounds with my MOFO 360 and my splitting pile is getting so high you would think I have a conveyor belt, but I'm just a wood chucker!!!

Cut some Beech, Oak and Black Birch. Was very happy that I missed the nail that was on the underside of the log!

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_164931364_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200212_164931364_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200212_164631167_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200212_164631167_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200212_164612210_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200212_164612210_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200212_152634692.jpg
    IMG_20200212_152634692.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Can i ask you guys what the right thing to do is to the handle of my axe? It has been cleaned up/sanded. Raw finish now.

Do I oil it with Linseed oil every so often? Boiled or raw ?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Snagged another load of a different pecan tree (two small hackberry rounds) and the rest of what I could move from the first pecan tree that they finished cutting the base of.
View attachment 797869 View attachment 797870

Your bed is empty? [emoji16]

Just messing with ya[emoji6]

Nice scrounge[emoji1303] thats a good amount

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back