Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old stoves can burn clean with little to no smoke also.View attachment 801837 Are old VC shut down all the way cruising along at 450 or so STT.View attachment 801838 No noticable smoke out the chimney. I tend to agree with the people who say the wood is more important then the stove.
agreed. I've 2 stoves, one is defra compliant, one ..'might' be ....I 'might' only burn smokeless coal on that of course....you'll never notice smoke coming from either of my chimney pots.

Different bird. 467 about as uncommon as they come because it was built. 7.4 like in that truck been a basic reliable motor for awhile. Noise could come from many areas. Simple as a tensioner or as bad as a rod. I'll guess at a lot of stuff but never motor noises. Got a 427 sitting on the stand that the guy was convinced the crank was bad. Couple hundred in parts and I got a motor for my next truck rebuild.

I love a good beer but do not understand how you guys can drink that bitter ass tasting IPA! Give me a good pilsner, stout, or amber ale.
I understand your point, I was a Stout, or Dunkle drinker for 30 years. Then my buddey got me hooked on IPA's. I think what happens is they burn out your taste buds, now all I can taste is an IPA. Every thing else just tastes like a Bud Lite, except Guinness.

I understand your point, I was a Stout, or Dunkle drinker for 30 years. Then my buddey got me hooked on IPA's. I think what happens is they burn out your taste buds, now all I can taste is an IPA. Every thing else just tastes like a Bud Lite, except Guinness.

I hated IPAs, until a buddy of mine grew some hops and gave me some. The floral aroma of those hops stuck with me and the next time I had a decent IPA I was hooked. My goto is Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. 7.7% APV, so you only meed a few. Their Dortmunder Gold (spelling??) is also a good beer, which is not an IPA. I try to keep a six of both in the cellar at all times.

A couple cities here in Canada are working on banning wood heat. At least non EPA compliant units. Open fireplaces and old stoves are dirty. There are several documents available online comparing the particulate emissions of various stoves and inserts so you can look and see how yours stacks up. I am seeing some good deals on stoves here in Canada ahead of the 2020 EPA guidelines (USA). Mine doesn't make the 2020 cut but it's close enough that I don't feel guilty about it. There are countless farm homes around here being heated by old timers with single wall pipe. I feel if you are in a city that has natural gas, wood heat is redundant. Natural gas is cheaper and the smoke in neighborhoods is ignorant. While it's true that wood releases the same carbon whether burned or decomposed, burning releases it all quickly rather than over years. I agree it's our responsibility to burn clean and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing my stove if so legislated. I also think people should have to take a course regarding safe and clean operation of a wood burning device. I have seen some truly stupid stuff around here especially from a safety standpoint.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Different bird. 467 about as uncommon as they come because it was built. 7.4 like in that truck been a basic reliable motor for awhile. Noise could come from many areas. Simple as a tensioner or as bad as a rod. I'll guess at a lot of stuff but never motor noises. Got a 427 sitting on the stand that the guy was convinced the crank was bad. Couple hundred in parts and I got a motor for my next truck rebuild.
Just a 60 over 454 . There are probably a few hundred thousand of them out there . Mine was just high performance just think how many have been rebuilt multiple timesand bored 10 20 over each time

So sorry to hear :(
He was a very likable guy. But, he had been in trouble in his late teens. Drove the gettaway car in a hold up. Did his time and was an excellent climber/worker. Had been alcohol clean for 20 years. But, he just couldn't handle stress. He'd start to stress out and fire up a joint, or ask if he could take off the rest of the day, so he could go home and fire up a joint. One story I always tell about him is, he had a step daughter. She had a father/daughter science project. Sitting at the kitchen table with nothing but hand tools he made her a water clock. It had a tank on top, with a drip hole, that dripped on a paddle. The paddle turned gears, that turned the hands of the clock. He hand cut all of the gears sitting at the table. He made the whole thing out of scraps of Redwood from a deck he built. He had the thing so it would keep time to within about an hour a day. A man with many talents that just wasn't meant to live in the city. He thought all cops only came to work to find him doing something wrong. When he shot himself he was double parked in a high security zone in DC, waiting to have lunch with his wife. January 1986.

Well, I finally caught up and replied to a couple posts. Now the good news. I joined the fraternity of brothers with FEL's. My fishing buddy had two rental properties and a 3.5 acre building site. He used the tractor to mow the building lot, he goes to settlement on it tomorrow. One of his renters had to move out due to losing his job. He tried to catch up on his back rent and just couldn't do it. So, he told my friend to just keep his tractor. My buddy let me have it for $2000, and I picked it up this afternoon. It's a NorTrac, 25HP diesel, with a loader, 4' bush hog and a grader box. The only thing is it doesn't quite fit on my trailer. The rear tires stick out about 6"s and the tail gate wont close. I just put ratchet straps on the tail gate to hold it up, don't know if the cops will like that?
GkX9r4x.jpg

IMKTWjU.jpg

Just a 60 over 454 . There are probably a few hundred thousand of them out there . Mine was just high performance just think how many have been rebuilt multiple timesand bored 10 20 over each time

You would have liked to have been with me Sun Morning. Went to my friend Johnny's (Matt will tell you), he has the 69 Chevelle with the 496, a 69 Camaro with a 454 w/2-4s, and a 67 Vette with a 464 60 over with a Tri Power setup (was originally a 427).

We have to get together after Tax Season!

He was a very likable guy. But, he had been in trouble in his late teens. Drove the gettaway car in a hold up. Did his time and was an excellent climber/worker. Had been alcohol clean for 20 years. But, he just couldn't handle stress. He'd start to stress out and fire up a joint, or ask if he could take off the rest of the day, so he could go home and fire up a joint. One story I always tell about him is, he had a step daughter. She had a father/daughter science project. Sitting at the kitchen table with nothing but hand tools he made her a water clock. It had a tank on top, with a drip hole, that dripped on a paddle. The paddle turned gears, that turned the hands of the clock. He hand cut all of the gears sitting at the table. He made the whole thing out of scraps of Redwood from a deck he built. He had the thing so it would keep time to within about an hour a day. A man with many talents that just wasn't meant to live in the city. He thought all cops only came to work to find him doing something wrong. When he shot himself he was double parked in a high security zone in DC, waiting to have lunch with his wife. January 1986.
Sad deal.

There are a lot of people like that who struggle with drug/alcohol/mental health issues because they have such intense personalities. They aren't bums just people in need of a better outlet for stress. Sad all the way around.

It is full and fairly recently changed. To me it sounds like more than a collapsed lifter but I could do some seafoam followed by an oil change just to make sure.

I agree not a rod knock.

Wondering how long it will operate like that before things come apart?

I am going to pop the valve covers this weekend and see if I can figure out what it it. Would be awesome if it was just a lifter.
Yeah maybe you get lucky and its just a bent push rod and or rocker.

A guy that used to climb for us made it. He was from the mountains of NC. He was a wonder at field craft. Unfortunately he suffered from depression and killed himself.
My brother did the same in 96 had a great job with waste management he was a landscaper architect but just couldn't hold it together. All about his ex wife and kids.

Well, I finally caught up and replied to a couple posts. Now the good news. I joined the fraternity of brothers with FEL's. My fishing buddy had two rental properties and a 3.5 acre building site. He used the tractor to mow the building lot, he goes to settlement on it tomorrow. One of his renters had to move out due to losing his job. He tried to catch up on his back rent and just couldn't do it. So, he told my friend to just keep his tractor. My buddy let me have it for $2000, and I picked it up this afternoon. It's a NorTrac, 25HP diesel, with a loader, 4' bush hog and a grader box. The only thing is it doesn't quite fit on my trailer. The rear tires stick out about 6"s and the tail gate wont close. I just put ratchet straps on the tail gate to hold it up, don't know if the cops will like that?
GkX9r4x.jpg

IMKTWjU.jpg
Nice tractor.

A couple cities here in Canada are working on banning wood heat. At least non EPA compliant units. Open fireplaces and old stoves are dirty. There are several documents available online comparing the particulate emissions of various stoves and inserts so you can look and see how yours stacks up. I am seeing some good deals on stoves here in Canada ahead of the 2020 EPA guidelines (USA). Mine doesn't make the 2020 cut but it's close enough that I don't feel guilty about it. There are countless farm homes around here being heated by old timers with single wall pipe. I feel if you are in a city that has natural gas, wood heat is redundant. Natural gas is cheaper and the smoke in neighborhoods is ignorant. While it's true that wood releases the same carbon whether burned or decomposed, burning releases it all quickly rather than over years. I agree it's our responsibility to burn clean and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing my stove if so legislated. I also think people should have to take a course regarding safe and clean operation of a wood burning device. I have seen some truly stupid stuff around here especially from a safety standpoint.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

links to that data Jeff? I've only ever seen stuff that lumps old stoves in with open fires and the two are not the same.

I'm on mains gas. i wouldn't buy wood, I'd burn the dino farts, but I can scrounge all the wood i need, its waste from tree guys taking down garden (yard) trees. i feel a bit uneasy about smoke, but i know i burn cleanly and i balance the population against the carbon saving. I also commute by bicycle and walk a lot so do very few car miles....my average annual mileage is about 1/3 the uk in the car, so most of those natural gas burners, commuting by car, likely dirty diesel....are contributing much more to both particulates and to CO2 than me.
personally I find it hard to balance pollution vs global warming.....but in the end i think global warming has the potential to be far far far more catastrophic, so I'll burn the wood and leave the fossil fuel and its sequestered carbon alone.

I'd have to politely tell 'em to piss off. Maybe you can turn over your wood stove when they come knocking for your firearms.

They won’t half too, they’ll just have the insurance companies raise your rates so high you can’t afford a stove. My home owners is stupid, with my stove being a big factor.

Oh whale.

Very sad.

Back