Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the 241 is home! She’s a purdy little saw.

Couple things I was a little bummed about, at no fault to the fine gentleman I bought it from.

FDB92141-A388-4FD3-A641-DC366FAD0AFB.jpeg
70E4E184-1187-4AF4-BBCE-A23AE7FED9E4.jpeg 10608E67-7C56-47AB-9DB9-371F3C3D59D9.jpeg

1. I figured it’d have a little “thicker” bar, instead of a similar bar to the Wife’s 180C.
2. I was hoping it had a “sprocket” like my other pro series saws. Looking at the manual, it looks like I can swap it out though.

Hoping to get some cuts in today while it’s still cold. Supposed to get up to 50 the next couple days.

Being my first new saw in a long time, as in brand new, do I need to break this thing in any special way? Other than putting it to work bucking some logs?

Couple things I was a little bummed about, at no fault to the fine gentleman I bought it from.

View attachment 802338
View attachment 802336 View attachment 802337

1. I figured it’d have a little “thicker” bar, instead of a similar bar to the Wife’s 180C.
2. I was hoping it had a “sprocket” like my other pro series saws. Looking at the manual, it looks like I can swap it out though.

Hoping to get some cuts in today while it’s still cold. Supposed to get up to 50 the next couple days.

Being my first new saw in a long time, as in brand new, do I need to break this thing in any special way? Other than putting it to work bucking some logs?
Congrats.
That little bar is pretty tough, and that narrow kerf on the picco chains slices through wood easily. I think picco chain makes a saw cut a good bit higher than its actual cc size would indicate. I think its nice that those two saws share bars, if you ever have a problem with one you can swap them out as they are both 3005 mount saws. Another benefit of the 3005 bars and the picco chain setup is that it is much lighter than the 3003 mount and a 325 or 3/8 standard chain.
When you combine the two above characteristics you get a lighter assembled weight(thats a place the powerhead only spec doesn't reveal) which makes the saw a pleasure to use with a 14-16 and even an 18 if you wish. It also helps it cut substantially faster which is something the hp specs don't show.
Yes you can swap the spur drive for a run drive kit, but no reason to until you wear the current spur setup out.
As Mike said just warm it up and run it like you stole it.

Thanks gents! I always appreciate the wisdom y’all share.

We will see how she cuts, I’ve got a down’d ash in the woods that’s elevated (not on the ground, it’s laying in another stump about waist high), which should be a good test for her. I’ll take the 361 too, in case the base is too thick.

Thanks gents! I always appreciate the wisdom y’all share.

We will see how she cuts, I’ve got a down’d ash in the woods that’s elevated (not on the ground, it’s laying in another stump about waist high), which should be a good test for her. I’ll take the 361 too, in case the base is too thick.
Like Mike said, run it like ya stole it. Pretty sure your gonna like it. I cut a lot of wood with mine using the whole bar. What model year is it?

Found some unknown chains in my toolbox, one is. Carlton that has N1 BL on the drive links, measures about 16” dangling from my finger. The other a Stihl with 3 on the drive links. Which is just a touch shorter then the Carlton. I need to learn how to figure out chain lengths.

The Carlton is brand new, the Still has some use but is freshly sharpened it looks. Hoping they’ll fit the 241 or 180.

Both look similar to chains I bought for the smaller saws.

Found some unknown chains in my toolbox, one is. Carlton that has N1 BL on the drive links, measures about 16” dangling from my finger. The other a Stihl with 3 on the drive links. Which is just a touch shorter then the Carlton. I need to learn how to figure out chain lengths.

The Carlton is brand new, the Still has some use but is freshly sharpened it looks. Hoping they’ll fit the 241 or 180.

N1 should be 3/8 LP

Stihl 3 is a .050 gauge chain. Throw up a pic so we can determine which type.

Chains are counted by the number of drive links. Count the number of drive links aka the pointy part on the inside of the loop.

View attachment 802338
View attachment 802336 View attachment 802337

Great saws! Enjoy.

Well the truck has a failed lifter. Darn roller lifters appear to need the intake pulled to get the lifter retainer off. But I guess it’s a pretty straightforward project and the weather is supposed to be warm.

I’m going to make some cookies with the various saws this afternoon and haul some wood. I’ll worry about the intake removal tomorrow.

These are helpful to have if you need to sort a variety of chains:
Chain Gauge Measuring Tools.png

A couple of bucks a piece.

Philbert

Page 44 of your 241 manual. This will help you identify what pitch your Stihl chains are.20200229_140458.jpg

Back