Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally for @Cowboy254 ...some photos!

This is the pile of wood my tree surgeon buddy had for me a couple of weeks back.. a mix of oak, sweet chestnut and some cypress. It took 4 mud flap dragging car loads but it ALL came home except the punky stuff far left.

nualGRAJk_FctEDRIUReuih3NGFcIVm3UCD1VVrZ2LFT3scROm0sUWDMnItKKc93feR1RDsh780zWoMUchU7XsHu2UgZbe8vjQ5nJ9NvNTiq1Zx-PSxtNToOoOClp1LxbsHu7AG_LA

_LFpVtmF1Lf2jHCoySvC-itfOpOOB0bRZJUnnMC4Yua6MlTDUe_O_l9JXrEiowfwt1P2JY4BW064fTcKZGUc0IiLu1yxRhaJWF_9oEmFJiHtnioek5OwNkC5VVgoXWYPhO5TgZFVVA

2/3rds of that is in this 'too be bucked' pile on my patio now. yes...yes...it needs bucking. most of that is about 1-3" too long for my ickle stoves...annoyingly.

eFx7J1qBQVAh9DCsfqT44OY9oC6ehSBCrT-Ve3hMWrdfbDsmspyRBwroKfXKxbLrVuUtAzh5YQH-P1U-W_AH-SSsCe_tZD6Y7Qh5n0wxFvV0cWVt5Q9FilFrX6rTaFXPuDOANkzmHg

the rest that was already short enough...stayed out front and is mostly now split and stacked against the front wall, which is south facing and dries the wood well although this is winter 21/22 wood anyway. That's almost half a cord

0bc8y-d1E65CKgrgZ9GOnr_stmRZwcuRBpe5BKnFdI2dH99Pk4IkrEAv0HdBLDcO9FHkCqxjmAEKllMcLt4iOZ1zGP-v0uONnyYxQooQ0Ob3SXxSOFe9LUMd8uEELp6htP4Z2yIG0Q

then today.... all the pine appeared on my lawn!

QEwCxXtL1jsnU9_QgRAu74CWX1_7qDuou-zzwwPDYdiBlds0qEl7UVe-7prrOJ-b-DwzHNLILJCa2BN8eZkdjCgswDmymbXyCf0HUtM1zZV8IZGIrbyRXsY1KL5Tca1kFzcmTRZXsw

I had to drop a parcel at the corner shop so walked out to get my '1 session of exercise out the house' currently allowed and drop it off, while practicing my social distancing and keeping at least 2m away from the very few people I saw. I was 10 mins walk away, turned the corner to see a tree surgeon working (odd, as most aren't because of the lock down). He was harnessed up about to climb the already cleaned stem and ring it down, and just starting his 880. A bit big for a climbing saw, i had to ask to check it wasn't a 660...no it was an 880. Anyway, I told him if he wanted a place nearby to drop the logs I was 2-3 mins away and he could drop the lot on my lawn :). As I helped him unload his truck a few hours later he told me he was working outside his own flat....seems he is very local....well a place to drop logs that is easy to get to and very local to home....that could be very handy for a tree surgeon...particularly if that place is equipped with a 365 and can easily deal with stuff that isn't all bucked small....Mooohahahahahahahaa! I have a new contact.

Now....is google photos playing ball? can you see them?

Bummer, but that husky is a great saw for that job and it has much better reach.
If you where here I'd have hooked you up with a chain, I cleaned a couple baby saws up today, two more to go.
View attachment 812663

How's the 201 handle/feel compared to a similar sized saw ?

Cooper discoverer m+s is what I'm using for a winter tire. They are an excellent snow tire and a good ice tire. There are better ice tires, blizzak being one. I live 20 minutes from lake Huron and Georgian Bay both so we get lake effect snow no matter which way it blows, therefore having more snowy conditions than ice. A lot of plow truck guys I know use these and I love em. Have a set for the truck and the Corolla.
Just looking for an all terrain/highway summer that has been as good as the Goodyear wranglers.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Same thing down here to the left , Discoverer m+s for the win in our snow and slush .

Nice pics and a great score Neil !
I guess it happened :)

Anyone want to partake in a scroungers deal-sniffing treasure hunt? I figure some of us might have some extra spare time during our quarantines and perhaps we could collectively sniff out some fantastic deals on gear fellow scroungers need. Harnessing the power of the collective sort of thing.

Perhaps we could post what we need and see what the collective can find? Maybe @Cowboy254 could detail exactly what B&C he might be after, to kick-start this initiative? If it's a 36" 3/8 .063 for his 661 then, for example, comstocklogging have lightweight tsumuras for US$110 and powermatch for US$80. Coonasawchain have 36" GB protops for AU$150. Chainsawspares has solid tsumura bars and I'd guess their chinese chain combos at AU$210 (AU$183 without chain). Mcop has solid sugihara and chinesium chain combos for NZ$195

Finally for @Cowboy254 ...some photos! This is the pile of wood my tree surgeon buddy had for me a couple of weeks back.. a mix of oak, sweet chestnut and some cypress. It took 4 mud flap dragging car loads but it ALL came home except the punky stuff far left.

one thing for sure about the UK! - plenty of chestnut trees over there. not many posting here have ever played a game of
'Conkers' I would venture to guess! ~

in addition to that, my brother and I would go with my Dad and head out into the 'bush'... and collect sweet chestnuts. tasty! roast them in tin pan on our Aladdin heater...

zrcp.jpg[/QUOTE]

I won't brag about the cut or the stump. It's down and where it needed to go. I'm gonna miss this one. Shade, winter feed for the squirrels and birds. But it was one of those oaks that could drop a branch at any time.View attachment 812569View attachment 812570
Gonna be awhile cleaning this mess up. But there will be a lot less crap to pick up before mowing this summer.
Looks good, turned out better than this one :oops: :omg:

Latest posts

Back