Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The picture in the ad is the wrong saw, the 2255 doesn't have the quick clips on the cover.
The 2255 is basically a 455 rancher in a red and black wrapper.
I just ran a 455 tonight, good saw, good ole farm ranch saw to get the job done.
Anyone want to partake in a scroungers deal-sniffing treasure hunt? I figure some of us might have some extra spare time during our quarantines and perhaps we could collectively sniff out some fantastic deals on gear fellow scroungers need. Harnessing the power of the collective sort of thing.

Perhaps we could post what we need and see what the collective can find? Maybe @Cowboy254 could detail exactly what B&C he might be after, to kick-start this initiative? If it's a 36" 3/8 .063 for his 661 then, for example, comstocklogging have lightweight tsumuras for US$110 and powermatch for US$80. Coonasawchain have 36" GB protops for AU$150. Chainsawspares has solid tsumura bars and I'd guess their chinese chain combos at AU$210 (AU$183 without chain). Mcop has solid sugihara and chinesium chain combos for NZ$195
I have a 36" GB, it's a great bar, very rigid, which I like in a 36".
This one I had saved in my eBay, but they all sold, not sure what it would have cost to get it there anyway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.46.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.46.30 AM.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 9
How's the 201 handle/feel compared to a similar sized saw ?
I'm not sure what else you would compare it to that easily acquired here it's a mag cased saw.
It runs very close to the ms200, the 201 actually beats it in speed and fuel economy, but just as with many newer saws it wouldn't seem that way to the person running it.

'PHO' - power head only.
'P&C' - piston and cylinder ( or 'plug and jug').
'NOS' - new, old stock.
'OEM' - original equipment manufacturer.

Others?

Philbert
I thought it was slug and jug.
Also needed is NIB - new in box.
My favorite, NWB - new with box :laugh:.

I'm not sure what else you would compare it to that easily acquired here it's a mag cased saw.
It runs very close to the ms200, the 201 actually beats it in speed and fuel economy, but just as with many newer saws it wouldn't seem that way to the person running it.
Compare it to the 355. The saw that made stihl stand up and fix all the problems with the early 201s. It's not a metal case but other then that performance and handling are basically the same.

Compare it to the 355. The saw that made stihl stand up and fix all the problems with the early 201s. It's not a metal case but other then that performance and handling are basically the same.
Never ran one.
It seems many like them, I have the 2511, it's a little beast so if it's anything like it I cant see any reason why it wouldn't be every bit as good as the 201, and way cheaper. Obviously this is all speculation, many guys have different expectations of products based on their particular situation, this is why I tell guys they need to get their hands on them and try them out.
Have you ran the 201 rear handle, or are you just basing them being the same on specs, that's like saying a 550 and a 261 are basically the same, same cc class yes.

Bummer, but that husky is a great saw for that job and it has much better reach.
If you where here I'd have hooked you up with a chain, I cleaned a couple baby saws up today, two more to go.
View attachment 812663

I'm sure they're perfectly serviceable saws, but I hope someone at Stihl got fired after producing saws that ugly. I mean, DAYUM! :dumb:

Took the rally TDI up the Forest service roads to scout for snags today. The kiddo wanted to see the monster larch that's growing up there.
It's been around for a few years.
View attachment 812683View attachment 812686View attachment 812688

Is it stihl growing? Looks kinda dead looking. Which means you should scrounge it and take pics. Let us know when you're done.

Finally for @Cowboy254 ...some photos!

This is the pile of wood my tree surgeon buddy had for me a couple of weeks back.. a mix of oak, sweet chestnut and some cypress. It took 4 mud flap dragging car loads but it ALL came home except the punky stuff far left.

nualGRAJk_FctEDRIUReuih3NGFcIVm3UCD1VVrZ2LFT3scROm0sUWDMnItKKc93feR1RDsh780zWoMUchU7XsHu2UgZbe8vjQ5nJ9NvNTiq1Zx-PSxtNToOoOClp1LxbsHu7AG_LA

_LFpVtmF1Lf2jHCoySvC-itfOpOOB0bRZJUnnMC4Yua6MlTDUe_O_l9JXrEiowfwt1P2JY4BW064fTcKZGUc0IiLu1yxRhaJWF_9oEmFJiHtnioek5OwNkC5VVgoXWYPhO5TgZFVVA

2/3rds of that is in this 'too be bucked' pile on my patio now. yes...yes...it needs bucking. most of that is about 1-3" too long for my ickle stoves...annoyingly.

eFx7J1qBQVAh9DCsfqT44OY9oC6ehSBCrT-Ve3hMWrdfbDsmspyRBwroKfXKxbLrVuUtAzh5YQH-P1U-W_AH-SSsCe_tZD6Y7Qh5n0wxFvV0cWVt5Q9FilFrX6rTaFXPuDOANkzmHg

the rest that was already short enough...stayed out front and is mostly now split and stacked against the front wall, which is south facing and dries the wood well although this is winter 21/22 wood anyway. That's almost half a cord

0bc8y-d1E65CKgrgZ9GOnr_stmRZwcuRBpe5BKnFdI2dH99Pk4IkrEAv0HdBLDcO9FHkCqxjmAEKllMcLt4iOZ1zGP-v0uONnyYxQooQ0Ob3SXxSOFe9LUMd8uEELp6htP4Z2yIG0Q

then today.... all the pine appeared on my lawn!

QEwCxXtL1jsnU9_QgRAu74CWX1_7qDuou-zzwwPDYdiBlds0qEl7UVe-7prrOJ-b-DwzHNLILJCa2BN8eZkdjCgswDmymbXyCf0HUtM1zZV8IZGIrbyRXsY1KL5Tca1kFzcmTRZXsw

I had to drop a parcel at the corner shop so walked out to get my '1 session of exercise out the house' currently allowed and drop it off, while practicing my social distancing and keeping at least 2m away from the very few people I saw. I was 10 mins walk away, turned the corner to see a tree surgeon working (odd, as most aren't because of the lock down). He was harnessed up about to climb the already cleaned stem and ring it down, and just starting his 880. A bit big for a climbing saw, i had to ask to check it wasn't a 660...no it was an 880. Anyway, I told him if he wanted a place nearby to drop the logs I was 2-3 mins away and he could drop the lot on my lawn :). As I helped him unload his truck a few hours later he told me he was working outside his own flat....seems he is very local....well a place to drop logs that is easy to get to and very local to home....that could be very handy for a tree surgeon...particularly if that place is equipped with a 365 and can easily deal with stuff that isn't all bucked small....Mooohahahahahahahaa! I have a new contact.

Now....is google photos playing ball? can you see them?

Well finally! Nice looking wood, Neil. Those bits that are just a bit long to fit in the stove, can you split them a bit thinner and wedge them in diagonally? Otherwise it is a bit of a pain cutting a whole lot of smallish rounds in half (though you do have an excuse to run a saw, which is cool). Great getting a new contact for wood provision. I'd burn pine if it turned up for free on my front lawn too. :happybanana: Might keep it separate from my snob eucalypt though.

Anyone want to partake in a scroungers deal-sniffing treasure hunt? I figure some of us might have some extra spare time during our quarantines and perhaps we could collectively sniff out some fantastic deals on gear fellow scroungers need. Harnessing the power of the collective sort of thing.

Perhaps we could post what we need and see what the collective can find? Maybe @Cowboy254 could detail exactly what B&C he might be after, to kick-start this initiative? If it's a 36" 3/8 .063 for his 661 then, for example, comstocklogging have lightweight tsumuras for US$110 and powermatch for US$80. Coonasawchain have 36" GB protops for AU$150. Chainsawspares has solid tsumura bars and I'd guess their chinese chain combos at AU$210 (AU$183 without chain). Mcop has solid sugihara and chinesium chain combos for NZ$195

I'll buy one (along with some other stuff that I may or may not need) from Nate if/when he gets back on his feet again. Sure, it may not be the cheapest once the Oz dollar conversion comes into play but I understand from many posters here that he's a stand-up guy who looks after people. Turning up to see your business in ashes must be gutting.

Looks good, turned out better than this one :oops: :omg:

At least at the end it sounds like the saw largely escaped damage.

I'll buy one (along with some other stuff that I may or may not need) from Nate if/when he gets back on his feet again. Sure, it may not be the cheapest once the Oz dollar conversion comes into play but I understand from many posters here that he's a stand-up guy who looks after people. Turning up to see your business in ashes must be gutting.
Good luck. He stopped replying to my emails some time ago. I guess he got too busy and it wasn't worth his while or I wrote something that pissed him off. Up until then he was great to deal with and was my go-to guy for dolmar stuff in particular. You could also PM redbull660 and let him know what you are after and he might get back to you when/if he has one available. He does a heap of testing of different bar and chain combos and sells off the almost-new (used once or twice sort of thing) tsumura B&C combos at great prices.

Never ran one.
It seems many like them, I have the 2511, it's a little beast so if it's anything like it I cant see any reason why it wouldn't be every bit as good as the 201, and way cheaper. Obviously this is all speculation, many guys have different expectations of products based on their particular situation, this is why I tell guys they need to get their hands on them and try them out.
Have you ran the 201 rear handle, or are you just basing them being the same on specs, that's like saying a 550 and a 261 are basically the same, same cc class yes.
I thought you were talking about the 201t. I have a buddy that's replacing his t435 with a 201t shortly. I'll let him get some time on it and then see if I can take it for a spin.
I'd like to run a 2511 some time. I got to handle one before Shirks closed but haven't run one yet.

Well finally! Nice looking wood, Neil. Those bits that are just a bit long to fit in the stove, can you split them a bit thinner and wedge them in diagonally? Otherwise it is a bit of a pain cutting a whole lot of smallish rounds in half (though you do have an excuse to run a saw, which is cool). Great getting a new contact for wood provision. I'd burn spruce if it turned up for free on my front lawn too. :happybanana: Might keep it separate from my snob eucalypt though.

Yes I could probably get some of the shorter pieces to fit diagonally but tbh running the saw is a more attractive option and I actually quite like some really short pieces, particularly for one stove which is less wide but a little deeper and I can load it well front to back. Short splits are more awkward to stack, but I manage.

Yes I could probably get some of the shorter pieces to fit diagonally but tbh running the saw is a more attractive option and I actually quite like some really short pieces, particularly for one stove which is less wide but a little deeper and I can load it well front to back. Short splits are more awkward to stack, but I manage.
Thought of you the other day while going through some coins from my BIL's estate. found one of these.
1585651325481.png

Latest posts

Back