Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaysus those arch fellas butchered more timber than they managed to get to the landing. What a shitshow. Sure it's tough terrain but c'mon.

That little pile of twigs was NOTHING back then. Probably billions of board feet of lumber hauled over that bridge they couldn't have got out otherwise.

2019 372xpg came today! Still not sure why I took this over a 572xpg.
View attachment 815695
I'm sure you'll be just fine :rock:.
The 372 xtorq saws have a wide power band and sip fuel compared to the oe 372.
I'd run 40:1 in it if it were mine because they have the plastic bearing cages. They have a limited coil so they can be a bit harder to tune than the oe. I fatten them up and then start leaning them out until I hit the limiter, then I go 1/4(winter) to a half a turn(summer) more and they run well there.
Here's one of mine in a chunk of very hard ash.

The 372 xtorq saws have a wide power band and sip fuel compared to the oe 372.
This is why I haven't put 50mm p&c on my 2065's. The ported one's still really efficient and revs like a 359. But I am gonna order a couple single ring sets while they are cheap. See some under $120 now. My guess is when they gone there won't be anymore OEM OE single ring sets.

This is why I haven't put 50mm p&c on my 2065's. The ported one's still really efficient and revs like a 359. But I am gonna order a couple single ring sets while they are cheap. See some under $120 now. My guess is when they gone there won't be anymore OEM OE single ring sets.
Who ported the 2065?
Yep. You can also get the 268xp windowed piston and have it turned into a .040 popup for some nice gains in a stock 50mm bore, the meteor pistons work well for this application.

Me and my buddy. I did the grinding and he took a little off the base for just .021 squish. Used Masterminds basic 372 recipe with a little more intake and staggered transfers oriented towards the intake trying to keep some torque. It was winter and we were cutting fencelines. I put the oem on the shelf we used a Tecomec cause if it didn't turn out no big loss.

Today’s lesson for me, it’s been quite some time that I’ve cut with the Husky brand chain. Been using Oregon EXJ exclusively for probably the past year.

The EXJ stays sharp for a very noticeable amount longer than the Husky chain.

I know this has been said before but I’ve never personally experienced the difference and now I know.

Especially noticed it when I went to do a touch up sharpening on the Husky chain today. Seems much softer when filing

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Today’s lesson for me, it’s been quite some time that I’ve cut with the Husky brand chain. Been using Oregon EXJ exclusively for probably the past year.

The EXJ stays sharp for a very noticeable amount longer than the Husky chain.

I know this has been said before but I’ve never personally experienced the difference and now I know.

Especially noticed it when I went to do a touch up sharpening on the Husky chain today. Seems much softer when filing

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Is it the older Oregon stuff, or the new C83/C85 stuff? I haven't monkeys with the new Stuff, but a lot of guys are claiming it's the second coming of christ.

Couple questions.

What’s a fair price for a used 254 that runs good and has good compression, but the top cover is toast? I want to play with my 254 with some porting, adjust the squish, etc. Want a spare of two for parts, just in case LOL!

Also, what do modded mufflers go for? I took the “custom” muffler off the 310 when I gave it to my FIL, and put a stock one back on. I have no use for this 290/310/390 muffler, which I touched up with high temp paint. Just curious, as I have no clue what’s fair to ask.

BEFDB450-7ABE-4CA1-8020-2B8E9185BA73.jpeg7ACB8960-66EB-47EA-BFBB-2B9AD6B76F7F.jpeg

Watched a crew trimming branches at my neighbor's house across the street. I assume that she chose the low bid.

Backed an old utility bucket truck up over her lawn.

Zero PPE.

Threw larger branches into an open trailer, they started swing a top-handle saw around to break them down (want to guess how many hands on the saw?).

Should have been named 'Larry, Darrell, and Darrell's Tree Service'.

They did leave the bigger stuff neatly piled on her lawn for the fireplace.

Philbert

That little pile of twigs was NOTHING back then. Probably billions of board feet of lumber hauled over that bridge they couldn't have got out otherwise.

KiwiBro was talking about the video in post 52,507, you’re talking about the pictures in post 52,506 and 52,508.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Was referring to the video of the logging arch.

I added this comment pertaining to the arch, maybe you didn’t see it.

And I got this from one of the comments. “This job was at Rewa between Cheltnam and Hunterville”. Looks like Cheltnam is a misspelling of Cheltenham.

Sorry Kiwi, sometimes I sould just zip-it.
All good. We've got a fairly good history of pioneer logging and inventiveness down here too. It really doesn't matter where in the world the early logging took place, there were some very clever and hard working people back then. I marvel at some of the ways they got things done. Especially the really big timbers. Amazing how much we can learn from history and I've often wondered why we tended to lose that acquired knowledge so easily. Was it the break for the world wars? Was it simply mechanical engineering meaning we didn't have to work so hard thus lost a significant motivation to think of better ways, etc. Notwithstanding of course the mechanisation being the major improvement.

I added this comment pertaining to the arch, maybe you didn’t see it.

And I got this from one of the comments. “This job was at Rewa between Cheltnam and Hunterville”. Looks like Cheltnam is a misspelling of Cheltenham.
Here in our North Island. My guess is they had to do that terrain as part of the gig and took the view they wanted off ASAP.

Played with my new toy a little bit today (Ported Asian Big Bore #5). Finished cutting up all my uncut logs. Was a lot of start + stop as I had to dig them out and move rounds, (or half the logs and then move the halves). She ran pretty well, I think she picked up a little.

Went to start it warm w/o the decomp and I was glad to redo it with the decomp. I guess with the squish at 0.17 I should not be surprised.

Only consumed a half a tank by the time I was done, so I'm pleased with the fuel consumption rate. She started easily, idled well and cut well, so I have nothing to complain about!

Attachments

• IMG_20200408_154400649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200408_154400649_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200408_154414271_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200408_154414271_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
Back