Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes public land. Sorry to hear that, if we couldn’t fall anything there wouldn’t be much wood to cut here.
Yeah works pretty good, bought 30 ton jack few years ago for that, most all the trees above the road had been cut so the jack allowed me to get trees other people had left

Great pics, Nate! The good ones are always on the downhill side! No winch, so if I can't choke them up, I get to play sherpa! Makes for a long day! Haha

Still burning up here, but see some 70s in the forecast for next week.
View attachment 830040

I was cutting cookies yesterday, and the wife asked why I was wasting our good firewood. I let her know that the cookies are good for early/late fall and late spring burning - as I was learned from @chipper1

Love your stove. My glass is all blackened, so you can't see the wood as nicely as yours. Need to see if I can get parts for my old HeartStone, as the secondary combustion tube is gone (rotted and bent from someone running the stove really hot). Not me, previous damage.

Great pics, Nate! The good ones are always on the downhill side! No winch, so if I can't choke them up, I get to play sherpa! Makes for a long day! Haha
Thanks! Yep seems that way, lol. These are good Sherpa tools ;)
74AC3C9E-D219-4DDA-BAA0-32B8969DAADF.jpeg

Still burning up here, but see some 70s in the forecast for next week.
View attachment 830040
Nice stove, sure like the glass doors. Been burning here too, don’t think it got over 40* yesterday.

I was cutting cookies yesterday, and the wife asked why I was wasting our good firewood. I let her know that the cookies are good for early/late fall and late spring burning - as I was learned from @chipper1

Love your stove. My glass is all blackened, so you can't see the wood as nicely as yours. Need to see if I can get parts for my old HeartStone, as the secondary combustion tube is gone (rotted and bent from someone running the stove really hot). Not me, previous damage.
Thanks! Yep seems that way, lol. These are good Sherpa tools ;)
Nice stove, sure like the glass doors. Been burning here too, don’t think it got over 40* yesterday.
Thanks, this stove does a pretty nice job of keeping the glass clean. Only hit it with windex once a week. Those tongs look pretty slick!

I ask him if he wanted to cut it in half, he said no I think I can get it.

A neighbor friend a long time ago told me “Don’t get greedy”. I had it stenciled on my bumper right in front of the winch, it’s faded now. I still keep it in mind.

Skidding Cones

I miss the discussions of skidding cones for scrounging firewood, especially the home-made ones. Wasn't there a discussions somewhere in this thread (@dancan maybe?):

Homemade skidding cone
Aaron (Eccentric) stopped by today and we had a chance to test the skidding cone my buddy Jaye fabricated for me. The blue material is heavy plastic from large water drum. Jaye (the guy sitting on the log) put some bolts in the blue plastic to hold the shape, then inserted a traffic cone with...
www.arboristsite.com

Easier skidding?
I have been cutting some firewood off my property, and skidding it with my lawn tractor that I weighted quite heavily in desperate search of (free) traction. Right now I am in the process of making my own bolted rubber tire "chains" and I am going to weight the front of my tractor as well...
www.arboristsite.com

etc.

Philbert

Busy day here

3DJwHM8.jpg

Hour and ten minutes to cut and load these tops. The pile is pretty picked through and the birch is already going punky so probably the last load I’ll take.

My 142 was running rich and the 5020 was running rich so I ended up using the 5020 to finish the job even though the 142 is more suited for small wood. Which reminds me that I need a tuning screwdriver for the new truck.
View attachment 830031
My 5020 will run rich when the filter gets dirty. I cut the end off an old snow brush and keep it in the saw box for dusting off filters.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I use ash and a wet paper towel to clean stove glass. when the stove is cold

My 5020 will run rich when the filter gets dirty. I cut the end off an old snow brush and keep it in the saw box for dusting off filters.

You are most likely right on that. I’ve noticed that saw really picks up a lot of crud on the filter compared to my Huskys. I don’t know why it would but it does.

Latest posts

Back