Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a nice looking GMC 4wd crew that's been marked at 82k for a while now, maybe I could get them down to 70 :laugh:.
A couple of years ago I was at the Auto Show and realized that most vehicles were priced more than I paid for my house. I was looking for ones that were more like what I paid for my garage.

Philbert

@svk I just thought, could the bar nutt have dropped into your clothing somewhere? Boot or turn up on trousers (the fashionista may have something to say but hey, rock the look). Or a rolled up shirt cuff maybe?

I learned lo, these many years ago - "Don't bother looking for a dropped bar nut, just grab a spare out of the tool box". I have to buy around 1/2 doz every couple years.

A couple of years ago I was at the Auto Show and realized that most vehicles were priced more than I paid for my house. I was looking for ones that were more like what I paid for my garage.

Philbert
I here you on that.
We bought this place in 2009, it would be easy to sell for 3 times what we paid for it right now lol.
I'm thinking I could haul a trailer with this :rock: .
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 2.23.05 PM.png

The drive to get the trucks I want is a bit long, but they sure are nice and the cost is great compared to what you get here. I just saw an early 2000 something suburban yesterday that was all rusted out for 4500, after looking at all the trucks out in Oregon it made me cringe even more than I normally would :baba: .
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 2.43.52 PM.png

The rewards could be high and I'd get a nice couple week vacation paid for included in the price and a truck would be nicer "rig" using my best Oregonian terminology :rock:.
You know what something like this would go for out here, probably around 6-8k.I got lucky on the suburban I have now, traded it for our mini van, a low end commercial paint sprayer(450 new), and 1500 cash(about 3000 total value), it was a fresh "rig" out out of Oregon with the plates still on it, still have the front one on it :).
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 2.49.26 PM.png

Bar nuts, screnches, left socks, . . .

Philbert
Just found my left glove out by the red oak stump I cut down a coupe weeks ago, I looked for it for a while when @Sawyer Rob was over last week as did my boy. I was glad I found it it was given to me by my buddy @Duce :cheers:.
Didn't see any screnches, nuts, or left socks though :(.

Not familiar with the Chinese parts, but I know I have no intentions of buying them ;). I would however buy a meteor/tecomec cylinder kit out of Italy.
I don't know if you can buy a transfer port cover without buying the whole cylinder.
You can loosen the cylinder and raise it up enough to remove the covers(you need a security torx for the transfer cover screws), then put it back down on the same gasket, many have done that successfully without them tearing and some have not. You also run the risk of the gasket leaking, although I've not heard of anyone having a problem. You have to check the squish on the xtorq saws if you want to reduce it, most of them you have to make a custom gasket as they will be too tight just removing it to get .020 squish, they come out closer to .014-.015 normally.
I open the muffler up under the deflector when I mod them. I like to leave as much metal on the front side as there is from the factory on the right side looking in, so I cut the left side the same and then cut towards the back. If you have a way to weld the deflector back on it's much easier to cut the sides of the deflector and then fold it out of the way to open the hole, then weld the deflector back down.
Here's what the transfers look like as well as the limiters on the carb and how I "trim" them, I actually cut them off, then grind them flush. I like to make a mark along side of the transfer restriction with a sharpie, then I break/cut off as much as I can before I start to grind, them mark helps me to see when I've ground all of the restriction off, then I clean it up a little and reinstall.
Also a couple pics of the MM I do on them and what it looks like from the front with and without a screen, I can't find a picture of what the inside looks like from the cylinder side, sorry.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UaVkZa17PvKQz28H9
cheers chipper. I'd not use a huztl cylinder. it just surprises me they dont sell the 372 port covers and save people the effort with the dremmel. What do you use to smap them out, just a pair of pliers and snap or something with more of a cutting edge? I doubt i'll botther but well..yo know...I know...we all now....a MM is a gateway mod.
If i just MM it, do i need to remove the liniters fr the carb? I guess that depends how much i gut the muffler. OEM it has what, one 1/2" hole, I'd have thought it wouldn't want more than 50% more at most, (area). I'd go less for a start

Alright, long time AS readers. Let’s see if anyone remembers the famous phrase made popular by our arachnid friend that goes with this device.

View attachment 830818

Its magic I tell ya!

cheers chipper. I'd not use a huztl cylinder. it just surprises me they dont sell the 372 port covers and save people the effort with the dremmel. What do you use to smap them out, just a pair of pliers and snap or something with more of a cutting edge? I doubt i'll botther but well..yo know...I know...we all now....a MM is a gateway mod.
If i just MM it, do i need to remove the liniters fr the carb? I guess that depends how much i gut the muffler. OEM it has what, one 1/2" hole, I'd have thought it wouldn't want more than 50% more at most, (area). I'd go less for a start

Its magic I tell ya!
I was looking for “friggin magic I tell ya” but you are pretty close. LOL!!!

Its magic I tell ya!
You can trim them with side cutters, grind out with Dremel and finish with Dremel sanding drum.

I took some time last night and this afternoon to clean up the scrounging mobile. I've been neglecting her, hasn't had a proper bath, polish & wax in years. She cleaned up well. Not too bad for a 23 year old pickup that is driven every winter in the rust belt.

B2DB1312-0EDA-4C8B-8BE8-1AD581150B0F.jpeg37FE8A42-90DF-43BF-930B-9690EDE19536.jpeg02066F1B-A3FA-44C4-B488-6A95D59B9DDB.jpeg

Ryan saw some nice FREE mulberry near the Institute of PA Hospital. Listed under Free Fire wood. Not sure why it popped up on my 20 mile radius search.

Bensalem? About 40 minutes north In Bucks County. I’m in Delaware County, bordering Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties.

Demand for dry wood here is high, green wood supply is high yet I don’t have adequate space to stack and dry for a year here in suburban Philadelphia. One could make a killing here if they had the right set up. Especially with the virus keeping everyone home.....

Back