Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they close the area to woodcutting early on hot days? One National Forest here has a 1 pm shut down on excessive heat days, the other Forest is all or nothing.
No not really. Depends more on how dry it is than temp. When fire danger gets extreme (dry, low humidity, windy and probably high temps too) they will close all firewood cutting. Only happed once in the 13 years we been here.

One of my old best friends (well, a guy that used to play in our basketball league 4 or 5 years ago...) emailed me out of the blue yesterday and asked if I would be interested in some oak firewood. He remembered that I heat with wood and was wondering if I still did. He has some wood from a tree that came down on his property a while ago and now his wife wants it gone. It's already been bucked up, but not split. He will be there to help load tomorrow - and he is as strong as an ox. The funniest thing is that he's already thanked me numerous times for helping him out. LOL. Yes, that's right, I'm helping him out by burning his firewood to keep my family warm in the winter.

Fairly productive afternoon.

Got the 154 back in action with the new bar adjuster that arrived today and threw a new bar on while I was at it.

Then I cut a pickup load of wood with the 5020 and 142. The 142 is still running like crap so the Poulan did most of the work. I may need to throw a carb kit into the 142. I’ll putz with the carb again tomorrow. That saw is a little screamer when it runs.

The project from hell 290 to 390 is now running. Put the new flywheel on and cut a little wood. The clutch is sticking and since the spur is shot I ordered a new drum and clutch. The last drum I got turned out to be a Chinese poc so I have to return it. Then I noticed the chain wasn’t sharpened to satisfactory conditions. I had brought it in to be sharpened because it was rocked pretty well by my cousin. The sharpening guy totally boogered one cutter and the rakers were never adjusted. I only bring in my rocked chains as I hand file everything else and previously had good luck with this guy. Oh well. I hand filed the chain and was adjusting the rakers when I ran out of natural light. Will finish in the morning

Then I got my XL-12 running. This was a rummage sale saw that needed several small repairs and I finally found time to do all of them. By that point it was close to 11pm so I didn’t do any test cuts.
6A79861A-7491-45A0-8E7C-04F5DE573730.jpeg

A couple new bars I scrounged
933A4632-50EA-4C77-8B63-049486B8FDC3.jpegA2A96D4D-A7C2-4AD9-A586-D3840325CC76.jpeg

What in the faw....
BA3CA4AA-5A6F-4F5E-A694-4A16006C54C0.jpeg

Thr XL-12
DFEDF57A-4684-4D7E-91CD-523588068980.jpeg

Scrounged up some chicken Kiev and chicken with cheese for dinner.
92920F1A-D8E2-4811-8437-817D7AAF2A72.jpeg

Bought this for the Orioles. Can’t leave jelly or oranges for them on the regular bird feeder because the ants go crazy.
43E41705-8F7D-439E-B6E7-27697C36F6B0.jpeg

:laughing:

Did I get anyone? Be honest now, some of you blokes would have bought it. Anyway. Mitch has a narrow leaf peppermint come down. Check all the tiny twigs, the tree looks as fluffy as the Cowcat Mk 2 when I freak her out.

30th May 1.jpg

Once I got past the bulk of that though, there was some good wood there. Many of the twigs could just be brushed off by hand.

30th May 2.jpg

Progress

30th May 3.jpg

All monkey saw action to this point but it was soon time to break out the big dawg.

30th May 4.jpg

To be continued... :)

I mortally wounded the uppermost of the bifurcated trunks. It was about 28 inches at this point. I ran out of fuel at that point and also forgot my wedges so I stihl have a few final cuts to do in a suspended section of the lower trunk.

30th May 5.jpg

Once I had done most of the cuts I did some splitting then loose tossed a trailer load and took it home. Got the Cowkids to unload it while I had a late lunch then with both kids in tow, went back to the farm for seconds.

30th May 6.jpg

They loaded while I raked up all the junk to the fire I had made earlier.

30th May 9.jpg

Then it was time for them to throw things at the fire for a while.

30th May 8.jpg

We're part way cleaned up. Stihl prolly a couple of Ranger loads left to go then the final rake up and burn off.

30th May 7.jpg

Unfortunately we're looking at rain tomorrow and Monday so it might be a few days before we finish off. Should be a good cord and a bit all up.

:)

Sorry, no pics.
:laughing:

Did I get anyone?
Yep, you got me. My mind was racing with thoughts of you being sick, your account being hacked, pinching myself to wake up from this bad dream, and looking for the "unlike" button. I was relieved to see that all was right with the world (in regards to firewood at least) in the next post. :picture:

Carry on.

One of my old best friends (well, a guy that used to play you read about them when they fail. our basketball league 4 or 5 years ago...) emailed me out of the blue yesterday and asked if I would be interested in some oak firewood. He remembered that I heat with wood and was wondering if I still did. He has some wood from a tree that came down on his property a while ago and now his wife wants it gone. It's already been bucked up, but not split. He will be there to help load tomorrow - and he is as strong as an ox. The funniest thing is that he's already thanked me numerous times for helping him out. LOL. Yes, that's right, I'm helping him out by burning his firewood to keep my family warm in the winter.
So is he now:
New old best friend
old new best friend
New best friend
best new friend
?

So is he now:
New old best friend
old new best friend
New best friend
best new friend
?
:laughing: LMAO!! I'm not sure what to call him... Maybe I should put up a poll and let you guys vote on it. He's my only source for firewood today, so at least for today he is my best friend.

Well there’s a “rally” (if you want to call it that) in my hometown tomorrow which is 3.5 hours from Minneapolis. Rumor has it busses of protestors will be brought in. They tried to stage it at the mall which didn’t go well as the mall informed them that protests weren’t allowed in private property and everyone would be arrested. So now it’s at the courthouse which is fine because the sheriff’s department is housed there and the PD HQ is only a block away. The downside is it’s also close to Main Street so if looting does start it will happen to ma and pa rather than the big box stores around the mall area.

The people promoting anarchy may have missed one key point: a lot of small town Americans have been hoarding guns and ammo for the past 12 years. This ain’t North Minneapolis, Toto.

I’ve worked on NF roads like that. Work right in the road, and nobody comes by. Usually. When one of my son’s was little there was a tomato plant at the end of the road. I told him a logger must have had tomato on his sandwich and some seeds dropped, then a tomato plant grew. He’s 21 now and still remembers that, he questioned me telling him that‘s how the plant got there. I asked him how he thought it got there, he thought about it, and no answer.
Fake news :rolleyes:.
The loggers wife made the sandwich and he tossed the tomato slice:laughing:.

That looks pretty upscale for you, compared to the TriLink stuff you normally 'scrounge'!

Philbert
That's funny :numberone:.
I scrounged up a couple bars, chains, and sprockets my self recently.
Too bad the husky large mount don't work on stihls like the other way around.
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.18.40 AM.png

Since it's crappy rainy day and I can't mow the lawn or stain the deck, I scrounged around in the garage and made a gizmo out of scraps I had on or near the welding table. I braved the misty rain enough to try it out. Neighbors must think I'm nuts! Should take up to a 10" log. Any bigger and I'll cut it on the ground.
7c643a1d84006d5c49707b93d5dc3f72.jpg
edc033944f306ad1701b1287c0ea22e5.jpg
983f85bbca996d59489bf37baa86d7b9.jpg
034a90802a216d89f7922ba535c97888.jpg
c78a31cf87daaf0c9ac0e7f5347ecfab.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back