Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my ignorance. But does peppermint smell like peppermint when you cut it or burn it?

Thanks.

Philbert

The wood doesn't, although the smoke is quite pleasant (as it goes). When crushed, the leaves have a strong pepperminty/eucalyptussy smell which is also quite nice. Great to clear out the sinuses!

Since it's crappy rainy day and I can't mow the lawn or stain the deck, I scrounged around in the garage and made a gizmo out of scraps I had on or near the welding table. I braved the misty rain enough to try it out. Neighbors must think I'm nuts! Should take up to a 10" log. Any bigger and I'll cut it on the ground.
7c643a1d84006d5c49707b93d5dc3f72.jpg
edc033944f306ad1701b1287c0ea22e5.jpg
983f85bbca996d59489bf37baa86d7b9.jpg
034a90802a216d89f7922ba535c97888.jpg
"
c78a31cf87daaf0c9ac0e7f5347ecfab.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Sure looks like a "Win !!!" to me .

The wood doesn't, although the smoke is quite pleasant (as it goes). When crushed, the leaves have a strong pepperminty/eucalyptussy smell which is also quite nice. Great to clear out the sinuses!
I walked past a tree guy chipping a eucalyptus he was taking down last year, the smell was so strong it made your eyes water from 50-100m away

Since it's crappy rainy day and I can't mow the lawn or stain the deck, I scrounged around in the garage and made a gizmo out of scraps I had on or near the welding table. I braved the misty rain enough to try it out. Neighbors must think I'm nuts! Should take up to a 10" log. Any bigger and I'll cut it on the ground.
7c643a1d84006d5c49707b93d5dc3f72.jpg
edc033944f306ad1701b1287c0ea22e5.jpg
983f85bbca996d59489bf37baa86d7b9.jpg
034a90802a216d89f7922ba535c97888.jpg
c78a31cf87daaf0c9ac0e7f5347ecfab.jpg

Nice one Jeff, I don’t have a log holding device but often wonder if your better using one or not as it is a bit of effort setting up each log.
Can you give us your thoughts on this once you’ve given it some use.

Nice one Jeff, I don’t have a log holding device but often wonder if your better using one or not as it is a bit of effort setting up each log.
Can you give us your thoughts on this once you’ve given it some use.
I had a bunch of zogger wood waiting to be cut up. I had 3 logs on the ground and the limbs laying cross ways on top. Previously I'd cut it in place. Cut until I'm tripping on pieces, then Huck em in the pile. I cut the rest of the pile today and I really like it. Load and cut a few pieces then toss the hunks and repeat. I found without having to move forward into the pile to cut, that I wasn't tripping over the cuts. Plus the lessened fatigue from using the saw at waist height instead of bending over. And I never nicked dirt or had to hold a piece with my foot while cutting. I'll call it a win.

Put the free for nothing trailer to the test today and broke my new rule about not getting greedy. Actually my new old new best friend was loading and he stacked it high (did I mention he's an ol' farm boy and is as strong as an ox? One of those guys who doesn't know their own strength - see it in him when playing basketball.) The second load was just a little smaller. I'm guessing a bit over a cord total. The biggest rounds were over 26" before they were split.
20200530_201208.jpg

Well the domestic terrorists are up to Duluth today. They’ve got the freeway blocked off. I’m curious if the out of towners will show up in my hometown tomorrow.

There’s one fellow “Marshawn” who appears to be the head honcho anarchist for our area.

Hopefully these thugs aren’t foolish enough to try and loot small town America.

Well the domestic terrorists are up to Duluth today. They’ve got the freeway blocked off. I’m curious if the out of towners will show up in my hometown tomorrow.

There’s one fellow “Marshawn” who appears to be the head honcho anarchist for our area.

Hopefully these thugs aren’t foolish enough to try and loot small town America.
i will bet you cleaned your bore today!! ? right? ... lol and how are the sights looking? clear i will bet!...

This morning I dropped off the half cord of scrounge from yesterday. Ended up getting into truck repair. Four new calipers and front shocks ended up taking about four hours. The truck stops on a dime now. Handles a lot better. Only one of the front shocks was bad but too late for the other one after I cut it out.

Put one of my deep lug tires on the drive wheel because one of the regular tires had a slow leak. I’ll bring that one to the shop next week.

63CC7397-3E6D-43EF-9677-E71E1C1BE8D0.jpeg

This morning I dropped off the half cord of scrounge from yesterday. Ended up getting into truck repair. Four new calipers and front shocks ended up taking about four hours. The truck stops on a dime now. Handles a lot better. Only one of the front shocks was bad but too late for the other one after I cut it out.

Put one of my deep lug tires on the drive wheel because one of the regular tires had a slow leak. I’ll bring that one to the shop next week.

View attachment 832290
looks like good tread for leaving tracks on idiots that may get in the way !! ACCIDENTALLY ? THAT IS....

Took a hike with a Daughter and two Grandsons today on the Appalachian Trail. We started at the Dover Oak (the largest tree on the Appalachian Trail) and headed West to a Rock Outcropping with some decent views.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_140939659_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200530_140939659_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200530_123354159_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200530_123354159_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200530_123019972_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200530_123019972_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 30
The rain petered out before it got here today so I went out early to finish up from yesterday. I hadn't unloaded the trailer so I just took the Ranger.

31st May 1.jpg

After unloading that, I grabbed the squids and we went back out. I cut up a few other straggly trees that were collateral damage when the big one went down and added them to the fire, which after a little poking and some Arsonist's Helper got going again. Mitch's old dog Max came down to say hello.

31st May 2.jpg

Second load.

31st May 3.jpg

After unloading that, Cowgirl came out with us for the last load which was about 2/3 of a load. She and the kids loaded while I did the final clean up. Cowgirl now thinks that scrounging is always that easy, having missed out on the actual work. :rare2:

31st May 4.jpg

So what was this …

30th May 1.jpg

Is now this ...

31st May 5.jpg

I left the lower log half obstructing what is an old track enough to stop someone driving down it from his neighbours place on that side. Apparently the couple that owned that 60 acres died in a car accident and the four sons spend their time bickering among themselves and making Mitch's life difficult so he wanted that track to be unpassable to their vehicles. Of course, they'd have to clear all the blackberry first. Did well all the same, over 4 cubes from this tree.

:)

Back