Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting too old for this stuff. Had a mostly dead maple next to my friends farm house, and right over where she parks her car. Prep work took longer than putting the tree on the ground. They have a spigot next to the drive for watering the horses. They were worried the top would hit it and drive it straight down and break it off the black plastic pipe below the frost line. They have a 300 gallon pressure tank and didn't want to take a chance of disrupting the water supply for the other horse field several hundred yards away. So, I went down in the lower field to the old Ash Hole, and cut down a 30" Ash tree. Cut 3, 36" long chunks, took them up to the spigot, stood them on their ends, and ratchet strapped them together. Plus I told them I would be no where near the spigot. Dropped the tree, closest branch was at least 15' away. Sure glad we had the 5420. I ran one tank out of the 660 cutting all of the stuff up to 20" into 6' sections that went to the burn pile. The rest we cut random sizes and dumped them on the wood pile. Had one helper get hot and quit.
DixiP2b.jpg

n0wegXJ.jpg

FhIQGHZ.jpg

zK2WQw0.jpg

Smart thinking, that would have stopped any damage to the water pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a truck of log length dropped off this week and a 30yd load of ends. The ends are fairly dry for the most part so I'll cut and split them 1st. Good work out for my new husky 562xp. I got the 24" bar so I can cut up ends and 2 new full chisel chains so I can fly through the pile. I still have the 257 that I can use for any wood close to the ground. 28 year old saw and it still starts right up.IMG_20200708_184036804.jpg

Bark doesn't look like horse chestnut (conker,. Do you guys call the nuts conkers too? 'conkers' used to be a popular kids game until Gameboys, phones, iPads etc arrived). Wood looks to white too. Although I can't think of another tree with leaves like a conker, but then you have plenty of trees we don't.

Took the scrounge locating tool out the other day, nice to be back in the saddle 18D277EF-A387-4A6D-9281-D3C9B8D6E7AD.jpeg
Went out with my buddy the next day to look over the area they are going log and found a bunch more dead red fir. We were turning around at the end of the road and my buddy happened to stop where his bike was on a high spot and his down hill foot was over a rut, balancing there on the verge of falling over, thought I would try to help and road up beside him... right when he fell over, knocked me over, too bad it wasn’t on video, lol. Knocked some hide off my shin and smashed/bent my pinky the wrong way. Told him he’s on his own next time, lol. (He’s actually a very good rider, better than me).

Worked on cutting some more boards todayAD667E75-FDC9-4055-91A3-00A717BA2182.jpeg
My lumber drying platform :)
A5928DEB-BECC-4731-A809-918F20CFE481.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E811AE0-4186-4315-A0D4-C17FAC8C05A1.jpeg
    8E811AE0-4186-4315-A0D4-C17FAC8C05A1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20C51EB9-8075-470D-958B-4F1CD241B1D2.jpeg
    20C51EB9-8075-470D-958B-4F1CD241B1D2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
Morning fellas.

Guess it’s been close to 72 hours since I’ve been on here. Must be some sort of record lol

Very busy week between work and volunteering. Thursday we completely cleaned and organized the Lions club storage building. We now have the space to showcase the good items we have for sale. We also put several items on the curb which almost all have been taken. From what I hear, it was great entertainment to watch the scroungers show up en masse once I put the FREE furniture ad on Facebook. One portly woman loaded a loveseat on the back of her Taurus and a full sized couch on the roof, lashed it all down, and drove away!!!

Yesterday I headed to the cabin after work. I purchased a small dish cabinet and put that together. I had two old sets of “China” in storage although technically one set is Japanese and the other set is English. My great great aunts set had been very hour in the garage many years ago in a very unsafe manner by my mom so it was a miracle none of it broke. The other set came with our cabin when my parents bought it in the early 70’s. That set is actually an 8 course setting (one set of bowls not shown in the pic).

Today I’m working the Lions club brat/hot dog sale and tomorrow I’m helping a senior friend replace the sheeting on his porch that had rotted due to poor design/water damage. Then it will be back to work again.
C0C7E12E-F394-4968-B181-5C084BF1FEA8.jpeg
A91C146B-A5A2-498F-8FD2-C72EA9FCCEC2.jpeg
B359AFCA-ED3D-44EF-82E0-6DBD6AE93153.jpeg
Covfefe ;)
1CD206FA-0931-41BE-A32A-26EEABBB312C.jpeg

Took the scrounge locating tool out the other day, nice to be back in the saddle View attachment 841659
Went out with my buddy the next day to look over the area they are going log and found a bunch more dead red fir. We were turning around at the end of the road and my buddy happened to stop where his bike was on a high spot and his down hill foot was over a rut, balancing there on the verge of falling over, thought I would try to help and road up beside him... right when he fell over, knocked me over, too bad it wasn’t on video, lol. Knocked some hide off my shin and smashed/bent my pinky the wrong way. Told him he’s on his own next time, lol. (He’s actually a very good rider, better than me).

Worked on cutting some more boards todayView attachment 841660
My lumber drying platform :)
View attachment 841662
Was thinking of you yesterday while doing a bit of limb removal for a better view of Lake Michigan.
The home is built on a sand dune, it's pretty steep other than the parking and the ridge of the hill, of course none of what I have to do there is on that part lol. I was walking across the hill on a mildly steep part and my foot on the downhill side slipped off the billygoat path(actually a deer trail) and I instantly landed on the other knee still upright. It could have been bad as I was carrying my rope bag and had all my gear on, I was glad when I dropped my helmet that it stopped in a pile of brush, but if I would have fallen into that same pile it would have been quite painful!
This part was fairly east to climb up as it was clear of brush, setup in gear wasn't all that fun though.The part I need to do yet is twice as steep as it is on the right side of the picture, I'll probably set up a rope to get up and down it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.24.37 AM.png
The views were great from my office, too bad I dropped my phone, I'm just glad it stopped right next to my rope bag.
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 9.34.43 AM.png
Had a nice ride in this one since I had my anchor going to another tree to keep my rope clear, every time the wind would kick up over 20mph the tree would sway and up or down I would go. While it wasn't a big deal it was a surprise when you went to cut a branch and then the branch was all the sudden out of reach, then back in reach lol.
Wanna come help me with the rest :).
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.32.02 AM.png

I agree with mike and you.
Except I'd add to that last part, no reason you can't have a few different saws with different length bars:happy:.
Just like hooked on phonics, it works for me lol.

Just got the larger cherry rounds off the trailer and cut the logs up, had a 28" bar on the ported 372, it was not what I would recommend cutting with for anyone new to cutting. The saw has very large dogs so that reduces the overall effective length of the bar, but it still lengthens the overall length of the saw which can cause a lot of problems in tight quarters, and increase the level of danger. For me mainly because the saw cuts fast and you can't get the saw out of the cut quick enough and it can bind and kick back(as in the video below), although for most newer cutters I think hitting something with the upper quarter quadrant of the tip on the other side of a log they are cutting is the most common danger with long bars such as cutting off a pile of logs. See :26 seconds in the video below for a little kickback action, this was from last night.

The excursion wanted more.
View attachment 841188View attachment 841189

are you really running that lr tire that low, or is that a bad camera angle????

Latest posts

Back