Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......When i need to get serious about this and make quality stuff to sell i will most definitely take more care in the stacking of the boards......
Next time you want to ensure a better quality of dried lumber, place the stickers close to the ends, as previously suggested, and place them every 18".
I had a couple of small Cherry logs milled that the lumber was A+ grade, so I sealed the ends in wax. Air drying now. The boards aren't overly wide like yours, but they fit inside an electric skillet (found at a yard sale) full of melted wax. Dip them in about an inch. Flip, repeat and stack.

U&A, almost any sealer is better than nothing. If nothing else, some old paint will buy you a bit of time to settle on which sealer to buy. I stumbling across a guy selling off PVA wood glue in large quantities really cheap a few years ago. I water it down a bit and it seals so well I wish I had bought more while it was so cheap. I'm out now so....the hunt continues...unless I can find more cheap bulk PVA. Anchorseal is an obnoxious cost.
If anyone has any experience with an Anchorseal alternative such as Klingspore or Rockler Green Wood End Sealer, as I posted, or any other product, please let me know.

Next time you want to ensure a better quality of dried lumber, place the stickers close to the ends, as previously suggested, and place them every 18".
I had a couple of small Cherry logs milled that the lumber was A+ grade, so I sealed the ends in wax. Air drying now. The boards are overly wide like yours, but they fit inside an electric skillet (found at a yard sale) full of melted wax. Dip them in about an inch. Flip, repeat and stack.

Very cool idea with the wax! Thank you!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Can I borrow it next? :D
There's some nice logs at the log yard that I hate to cut up into firewood.
Oh? Is this where the line starts? :innocent:

Actually, I have a line on a home made bandsaw on a trailer with a 30hp engine capable of 36" diameter logs . We'll see how much he wants for it, but my buddy (neighbor of the owner) says he sells stuff cheap. Same buddy has worked on it and says its a good machine that is way overbuilt. This is coming from a guy with a full machine shop in his pole barn for fun so if he says something is good, it probably is.

Am I in the right thread:lol: .
Carry on gents, I do find it interesting :reading:. Maybe some yr I'll use my CSM that my buddy is borrowing right now.
Believe they mill the logs, let them air dry for 5 years. Then cut them up and use as firewood. Many people around here pay to remove trees, have logs stacked in piles to cut as firewood, then just watch them rot in place.

Believe they mill the logs, let them air dry for 5 years. Then cut them up and use as firewood. Many people around here pay to remove trees, have logs stacked in piles to cut as firewood, then just watch them rot in place.
See that ALL the time. Would like your post twice if I could.

It's been inferred that maybe I got off topic with all the discussion about milling :) .
So back to firewood. Yesterday it was too wet to get into the log yard so I split the first of what may be ten loads of Red Oak that I posted about earlier.
Today, I went out to the yard and it was dry enough to drive in. I positioned the trailer next to the pile I was working on which is about 100 yards from the spot where he actually burns. Most of the new stuff gets dropped off next to the burn spot so I decided to check it out. Yellow caught my eye and I found a whole mulberry tree. The Red Oak was safe from being burned and the mulberry would probably pushed onto the smoldering fire tonight. No brainer. Cut the Mulberry. A couple of his workers came by and said they had another load so I thought I'd make a second trip today. It started to rain while I was loading so second load will be tomorrow.IMG_9670.JPGIMG_9669.JPG

Back