Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tree, one picture. Split and stack tomorrow.View attachment 846605
Nice job, the cooler temps sure are helpful this week.
Neighbor wants me to help out with some trees that are growing into the opening where his house is, mainly box elder.

Unloaded the wagon this morning and staged it for splitting in the barn. I can work there in the shade, rain, etc... Headed out and was in the timber by 1100. Pulled out another load of Oak. I believe it can sit in the wagon for a day or so. So, 1 Oak done with a 1/2 a Shagbark and 1 Oak remaining. Tops gone and limbed out. The 441 will make short work of these.
View attachment 846666View attachment 846667View attachment 846668

Happy birthday! Or do you just leave it up all year?

Also, I need more pics of your shed.

I’ll take some picks later but a 30” pig nut hickory fell over and broke off a 18” maple yesterday when the hurricane came through.

Does hickory take forever to dry? Last one I split took two years to dry and still seemed wet.
That's odd, I've never had trouble drying Hickory. Worst problem I had is the Powder Post Beetles getting into the wood if not used after the first year.

I’ll take some picks later but a 30” pig nut hickory fell over and broke off a 18” maple yesterday when the hurricane came through.

Does hickory take forever to dry? Last one I split took two years to dry and still seemed wet.
I'll say at least 2 years,3 if green and full of sap. I always at least top cover my hickory stacks.

Unloaded the wagon this morning and staged it for splitting in the barn. I can work there in the shade, rain, etc... Headed out and was in the timber by 1100. Pulled out another load of Oak. I believe it can sit in the wagon for a day or so. So, 1 Oak done with a 1/2 a Shagbark and 1 Oak remaining. Tops gone and limbed out. The 441 will make short work of these.
View attachment 846666View attachment 846667View attachment 846668
You can be my neighbor! If it’s not within an inch, it goes in the fire pit. Drives my cousin bonkers when he sees the pile of off cuts and uglies by the fire pit. All I can say is, the pit needs food too.

Happy birthday! Or do you just leave it up all year?

Also, I need more pics of your shed.
We had my daughters birthday party in there last year and just never took it down. Right below it is a flip down serving table I made out of old barn wood. It stows in the up position so it’s not in the way.

The shed is an old barn I restored about 12 years ago. It’s 60’ x 48’ . I have 3 bays that are 12’ x 12’ for firewood, center alley way for equipment/vehicle storage, and the lower portion is equipment storage as well.
7399F288-F5F8-42EE-81F6-9F5EAD981208.jpeg

You can be my neighbor! If it’s not within an inch, it goes in the fire pit. Drives my cousin bonkers when he sees the pile of off cuts and uglies by the fire pit. All I can say is, the pit needs food too.
Yessir. Shorts and uglies go to the fire pit and the nice stuff goes into the stack.

For those of you who sell firewood to people with FIREPLACES (not boilers, furnaces, etc.) how long do you cut your rounds? I cut my for myself 18-20" because anything shorter provides a narrower base and becomes difficult to stack high. I use to cut mine 24" for the same reason.

Lately I've been cutting most everything 18" as a compromise and do cut a few 14" or 15" just so I don't have a nubbin left. My nubbin tote bin is already full.

For those of you who sell firewood to people with FIREPLACES (not boilers, furnaces, etc.) how long do you cut your rounds? I cut my for myself 18-20" because anything shorter provides a narrower base and becomes difficult to stack high. I use to cut mine 24" for the same reason.

Lately I've been cutting most everything 18" as a compromise and do cut a few 14" or 15" just so I don't have a nubbin left. My nubbin tote bin is already full.
When I was a kid we cut all of our wood right at 24". That way a full cord was 2-24"rows X 4' high x 8' long. Some time in the early 70's all the big developments started using pre made fireplaces in the houses and they were 20"s wide. So, we started cutting to 18" to give a little finger room on the ends. Then stoves became popular and 16" wood was the norm. My Dad's last new chipper truck was a 78 Ford F600. It had a 12' bed with 6' steel sides. I figured out how high a stack would have to be at 16', 18' and 24" to be a half cord, put a chalk line on it and snapped a line down both sides of the truck. Then I got 3 different colors of paint and painted lines on the truck sides. When Dad retired in 86 he sold that truck to his brother. I was recently telling some one how easy it was to load the truck with those lines on it. My cousin looked at me and said, "I always wondered what those lines were for?

Coming along, but, I'm doing all of the cutting and planing in the sun. It's hot out there again.
DfDtBzS.jpg

Nice job, the cooler temps sure are helpful this week.
Neighbor wants me to help out with some trees that are growing into the opening where his house is, mainly box elder.
Coming along, but, I'm doing all of the cutting and planing in the sun. It's hot out there again.
DfDtBzS.jpg
Can't really tell, is that Red Oak or White Oak boards? WO will last longer.

Well you are lucky. I live in the suburbs, people do have bonfires but its antisocial with houses tightly packed. So all crotches, shorts and just plain old 'unslitables' get split, and the fugly results get stacked, and burnt in the stove when dry. Last night was a session with the 8lb stihl maul to smash through a pile of unsplltables, tonight wa a tank and a half through the 180 to block up the unsmashables. Add to that its all tree service wood, they don't care much where they buck it, so its length varies, and when stuff is delivered i get the whole tree, crotches, punk and all...the joys of the suburban, axe and chainsaw addicted, hates to pay for gas and feels smug to burn a renewable, wood scrounging burner. the stacking can be tricky but then I've small stoves so the small spits dry easily and \i'm able to stack 4' wide against s fence, with good bits on the outer row and a crib stacked stabilisation wall or bulkhead every 8' occasionally the stack bulges and i whack it back into shape. occasionally i forget for too long and a bit of a split-alanche occurs, but not often and not too big. however i look at stacks of wood like Nate's and turn green with envy. Oh how I'd love nice straight grained, uniform and sizeable rounds like those! Oh its sweet when that happens! Oh how I love it when get the trunk of a 18-24" diameter oak! manna from the tree man! Of course when i collect from one of my guys i have lrnt to pic and chose, leave a half load if necesssary, take the goo stuff and leave the ****. But when its delivered I'm saving an hour for every car journey, and a delivery can be 2 or 3 car journeys....I trade car time for saw time....but oh Nate...I look at your wood pile enviously...and think t myself...you lucky, lucky b******!

Did you mill those rounds in the trailer in half lol.

Nice job falling that, saw it earlier today.
Looks like that stump is "under" two feet:laughing:.
Guess that's my dad joke for the day.
Yes sir, free hand milled them, lol

Had to high stump it sense it was over the bank so it would land flat and save out, no breakage. Oh wait... it’s just firewood. Lol
I did cut another round off the stump later;)

Can't really tell, is that Red Oak or White Oak boards? WO will last longer.
They are all 30-50 year old White Oak fence boards. That's probably why they look so dark. After sitting in the sun, they lightened up quite a bit. Here's the last pic of the day, I'm beat.
Q3OJWj8.jpg

Latest posts

Back