Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was w/o power for 3 days (some B Day!!!) and now I'm trying to fix an electrical problem in the house. A lot of Black Walnut trees and limbs came down, I cut out a neighbor's car, opened out roadway (only to have them post someone to close it) and did days of cleanup while running the generator. What a PITA!.

I have some pics, but no time now, still playing catch up!

Was w/o power for 3 days (some B Day!!!) and now I'm trying to fix an electrical problem in the house. A lot of Black Walnut trees and limbs came down, I cut out a neighbor's car, opened out roadway (only to have them post someone to close it) and did days of cleanup while running the generator. What a PITA!.

Happy birthday Mike.
Be careful out there.

IMG_9686.JPGIMG_9687.JPG
Went out this morning to get the last of the manageable R. Oak I'd been working on. Took a second look at the Hackberry on the burn pile and decided to rescue it instead. A lot of 4" - 6" limbs and some 12". Nothing too large. Took a pickup load home first and then came back for the rest. Some nice sized R. Oak mixed in. I stopped short of a full load because the chain wasn't cutting right. It's about done for and it's cutting at an angle. No spare with me.

Before I left, I checked out the opposite side of the burn pile that's blocked by a pile of ash/dirt and saw a large pile of the rest of the Hackberry dumped there. Guess I'll be cutting tomorrow too.

12" rounds! max my little stoves take is 4" according to the manual, although I've probably squeezed slightly bigger in. I'd love to be able to load a bigger piece.

I have read (in a Euro Fireplaces manual) that the most efficient size of splits to burn is in the 4-6 inch range and given the type of stove you have and the regulations you abide by, yours might be similar. To me "too big" is defined as "doesn't fit through the door". I'm sure you could do the same once the fire is hot, I don't think you're going to make lots of smoke unless you're trying to use bigger rounds before the stove is up to operating temperature.

That means Neil loses the internet today.

I had to forgo an improptu meeting with @Philbert to attend to an issue at the house. Bear ripped the vent out of the shed, ripped almost another tier of siding and pulled a bunch of trash out into the yard. I hauled away all of the trash and bleached the floor of the shed and garbage cans so there won’t be anything left to attract him.
FCE970E0-678A-4ED7-85E9-3DD5AA0B6722.jpegA6CBA8A5-3D2F-4160-9FDD-6D13F222F53B.jpeg

I doubt this is the last we’ve seen of him. Lots of bear problems up here this year due to few berries and no acorn mast.

Unloaded the second load of Shagbark and Oak this morning. Mowed lawn this afternoon, then went fishing with my son (he’s 15 and works for a local tree service). Cleaned fish until 2200. Long but good day. He was toast. He’ll sleep well tonight. The long stack is 35’ and roughly 4’ high. A few big rounds and the 10” stuff went into bay #2. Still probably 2-3 more loads at my current site. Phone ringing tonight for more storm damage clean up, and I’m not in the “business”.
BA200103-51F5-40BF-B1CB-4D6D9C552F9D.jpeg3C8226C6-6092-4C27-9761-B296C1B272FA.jpeg

I have read (in a Euro Fireplaces manual) that the most efficient size of splits to burn is in the 4-6 inch range and given the type of stove you have and the regulations you abide by, yours might be similar. To me "too big" is defined as "doesn't fit through the door". I'm sure you could do the same once the fire is hot, I don't think you're going to make lots of smoke unless you're trying to use bigger rounds before the stove is up to operating temperature.
When I say I squeezed slightly bigger in, I mean just that, I can't get more than a 6" round in the door and over the log guard!

Unloaded the second load of Shagbark and Oak this morning. Mowed lawn this afternoon, then went fishing with my son (he’s 15 and works for a local tree service). Cleaned fish until 2200. Long but good day. He was toast. He’ll sleep well tonight. The long stack is 35’ and roughly 4’ high. A few big rounds and the 10” stuff went into bay #2. Still probably 2-3 more loads at my current site. Phone ringing tonight for more storm damage clean up, and I’m not in the “business”.
View attachment 847115View attachment 847116

I’m not in the business either but it seems every time a storm passes through, i’ve got friends and family blowing up my phone. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to forgo an improptu meeting with @Philbert to attend to an issue at the house. Bear ripped the vent out of the shed, ripped almost another tier of siding and pulled a bunch of trash out into the yard. I hauled away all of the trash and bleached the floor of the shed and garbage cans so there won’t be anything left to attract him.
View attachment 847092View attachment 847093

I doubt this is the last we’ve seen of him. Lots of bear problems up here this year due to few berries and no acorn mast.

We have lots of gooseberries at our mountain place, some are ripe and fall off when you touch them. Haven’t seen any sign of bears though.

Still have not finished storm cleanup, but I did finally resolve the electrical issue.

When the power went out, and we went on generator, every time I started the generator one of my GFI outlets tripped. Of course it was the one behind the bookcase that I had forgotten about because it has not tripped in 35 years!

Since the downstairs freezer in on that circuit, it was important to reset it each time.

When the power came back on, it would not re set. So no problem, I move the bookcase just enough to squeeze in there and install a new GFI outlet with a headlamp for light.

You would think they keep the wiring the same on these darn things, and I was real carful to keep track of where each wire was connected.

Well, turns out the new outlet has a different wiring pattern than the old one, and my old "hot line" testing screwdriver (with the little light) no longer functions … AAAAHHHHH!!!!

Of course I did not realize that at first, and spent some time ensuring the ground was properly connected!

After several tries I finally got it right, but no fun! My 1/2 hour project took 1/2 a day instead!

Spent a few days ‘up north’ with a friend cutting out a bunch of dying balsam to open things up and reduce fire danger.

Dropped a few dozen trees. Really helpful to get some ‘muscle memory’ back, get the notches to line up first try, etc.

Also, to run a few of my own saws. A lot of cutting I do is storm clean up using group saws, so some of mine had not been run in a few years.

BACF84BE-B16E-48A9-A524-9BD91F803781.jpeg
Philbert

Spent the morning cleaning up some new to me saws and categorizing chains. Really need to buy that grinder soon, I’m probably sitting at $100 worth of sharpening fees if I brought in all of the rocker chains I’ve got.

Mowed this afternoon and brought my daughter to the park on the way to the cabin. Going to be a quiet night up there but we’ll make some mountain music tomorrow morning if the rain holds off.

Back