Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So make the face cut, then put the protractor in the notch and use the string to find where it will fall, or are we using the protractor as a weight on the string like a plumb Bob to fund the lean/side lean of the tree lol.
Put a large magnet near the crown of the tree, and leave an anvil in the field where you want it to fall.

Philbert

Put a large magnet near the crown of the tree, and leave an anvil in the field where you want it to fall.

Philbert
Or your favorite saw, I've heard that story so many times, it's gotta work.
I like to put mine behind trees so I don't run it over and a tree doesn't hit it(when I have an extra saw on site, which is almost always).

So make the face cut, then put the protractor in the notch and use the string to find where it will fall, or are we using the protractor as a weight on the string like a plumb Bob to fund the lean/side lean of the tree lol.
I'd like to have more to practice on for sure.
I have some for you to practice on Brett:p
Maybe you can show me how to wear a hard hat:omg:
This was on my uncles place a few years ago, we were in a hurry when we left and forgot to throw my hard hat in.

Starting to run out of room, figured I’d better start splitting and stacking some today
Since I got my splitter fixed, I too had to start splitting today. Out of room on my driveway and not really sure where it's going to go. Might have to temporarily stack it until I move the dry up to the house. It's been raining a lot here for August and my yard is still too wet to drive on with my truck/trailer. The main stack is 100 yards from the house so I started moving some of the wood with my garden trailer and lawn mower. Got the Mulberry rack by the house filled and I have another dozen or so large rounds to split. Not sure where it's going.
Suppose to be dry all next week, so I plan to have it all split so I can start hauling/stacking by late week.
IMG_9717.JPG

Frustrating evening at the chain spinner. Some of these things, are slightly perishable skills: sharpening, felling, spinning, etc. But if you have done it enough, they come back quickly, and you get your edge back. Not tonight. Wanted to spin up a few loops of chain for a pole saw, and the links kept jamming tight. Over spinning? Bad links? Bent / burred drive links? Breaking too aggressively? Wasted a number of chain links, and several pre-sets, trying different things, including hammering and buffing the drive links to make sure they were flat. 3/8, low profile, narrow kerf chain - Oregon Type 90.

Finally realized that the drive links on this chain are just so thin (0.043 gauge) that they deform with almost any pressure from punching / breaking out the rivets; hard to see some of the deformation.

Went to the 'grind-the-rivet heads-off-flrst-with-a-Dremel-tool-before-breaking-with-the-punch' method, and that seemed to work. Although, past of the reason I like having a chain breaker is to not need to do this. Offends my delicate sense of propriety. Also makes it hard to save any parts for re-use. But is seems to be the only practical way to work with these paper thin chain components.

Oh yeah, we may be having tornadoes tonight in Minnesota!

Philbert

Back