Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People recently got 2 week bans on a 4WD forum I’m on, for arguing politics.
So politics has no freedom of speech? Good to know.
It does if you start your own forum, then you make your own rules.
Correct. Freedom of speech doesn’t apply to privately owned/operated forums. Most places say something to the effect of “by requesting membership to this group, you hereby agree to review and abide by the rules”.

I admin a couple of groups on Facebook and political discussions are off limits.

The only reason why the political forum is alive here is because of the traffic it brings to the site.

Finally finished those two trees after Dr., Funeral and doing third cutting of hay, owner was too busy with tree removal, lot clearings, hauling crushed concrete. Cutting, raking and bailing on my own. 328 square baler with kicker makes it easy. I have a dilemma, been supplying firewood to friends, both have health issues, husband is wheel chair bound, of my wife for 2-1/2 years, they have 3 sons that could be cutting and supplying firewood. Have offered to build them a saw, they don't need one. Last year made them come and haul it, helped load it. I know it's coming, do you have any extra firewood we could have. I even told them where to find free wood to cut. What would you guys do?IMG_20200919_155132023_HDR.jpgIMG_20200919_154804375_HDR.jpgIMG_20200919_154811259.jpg two trees yield tops of two rows, you can see difference in color, white is new. Then started a new row. Go out tomorrow and collect dead limbs for burning now.

Good to see you here!
I’ve added a lot of saws (some even run) since you were here last.
Yeah lots of life changes these past few years, majority of it good lol. Now I have a house with a gas fireplace, I miss my wood stove. Maybe I could build an outdoor wood stove or something so I’ll have an excuse to buy chainsaws and scrounge firewood again

Yeah lots of life changes these past few years, majority of it good lol. Now I have a house with a gas fireplace, I miss my wood stove. Maybe I could build an outdoor wood stove or something so I’ll have an excuse to buy chainsaws and scrounge firewood again
You could sell wood to help pay the gas bill? Or tell your wife that anyhow.

they have 3 sons that could be cutting and supplying firewood. Have offered to build them a saw, they don't need one. Last year made them come and haul it, helped load it. I know it's coming, do you have any extra firewood we could have. I even told them where to find free wood to cut. What would you guys do?
I can appreciate trying to make those boys into men. Depending on how old they are maybe that should already be the case. You have to decide how much help you can and are willing to provide. I think making them be involved is the minimum like you did before. "I'm pretty busy, but here's some rounds and a yard sale maul" might be the right level. Or a saw as you say. Even a day spent providing guidance may save you in future years and get them to recognize that this is part of life - it ain't always easy.

I can appreciate trying to make those boys into men. Depending on how old they are maybe that should already be the case. You have to decide how much help you can and are willing to provide. I think making them be involved is the minimum like you did before. "I'm pretty busy, but here's some rounds and a yard sale maul" might be the right level. Or a saw as you say. Even a day spent providing guidance may save you in future years and get them to recognize that this is part of life - it ain't always easy.
Agree, I am 66 and they are all 28-35. Two have been in military and seems like they would want to provide for them.

Made a bunch of poles tonight and got one load in before dark. Started cutting anything dead, broken top, bad lean, etc. that just wasn't going to make a good quality tree in maturity. Lots more woods to walk for purging the low quality stuff. Probably need to thin a few mature trees too.
20200919_194258.jpg

Finally finished those two trees after Dr., Funeral and doing third cutting of hay, owner was too busy with tree removal, lot clearings, hauling crushed concrete. Cutting, raking and bailing on my own. 328 square baler with kicker makes it easy. I have a dilemma, been supplying firewood to friends, both have health issues, husband is wheel chair bound, of my wife for 2-1/2 years, they have 3 sons that could be cutting and supplying firewood. Have offered to build them a saw, they don't need one. Last year made them come and haul it, helped load it. I know it's coming, do you have any extra firewood we could have. I even told them where to find free wood to cut. What would you guys do?View attachment 856105View attachment 856106View attachment 856108 two trees yield tops of two rows, you can see difference in color, white is new. Then started a new row. Go out tomorrow and collect dead limbs for burning now.
Seems you've helped through the period they knew no better/had no time to make their own arrangements, and beyond that. Now it's time for the sons to begin stepping up.. If asked for wood the answer is, 'yes I've plenty, its $$ per cord delivered or a bit less if you come and get it' hopefully they collect, you help load and to start a conversation.,...' not sure I'll have spare next year, it's more from sellers, best if you plan ahead, I could teach your' etc.

Neighbour doesn't go cold, you don't get taken for granted.

I have a dilemma, been supplying firewood to friends, both have health issues, husband is wheel chair bound, of my wife for 2-1/2 years, they have 3 sons that could be cutting and supplying firewood. Have offered to build them a saw, they don't need one. Last year made them come and haul it, helped load it. I know it's coming, do you have any extra firewood we could have. I even told them where to find free wood to cut. What would you guys do?

Ultimately, who should be looking after them? Friend or adult children? It sounds like you have been very generous but I can't help but feel that the children have been taking you for granted/taking advantage of you. In one respect, I can understand it - if they have never had to put in the elbow grease to make all the wood for their parents they may not really understand the lengths you are going to. But I also think it is time they found out. Maybe tell them that you don't have the time to CSS wood for their parents and that they'll have to take up the slack. You can always help out at a later date if you want to.

Finally finished those two trees after Dr., Funeral and doing third cutting of hay, owner was too busy with tree removal, lot clearings, hauling crushed concrete. Cutting, raking and bailing on my own. 328 square baler with kicker makes it easy. I have a dilemma, been supplying firewood to friends, both have health issues, husband is wheel chair bound, of my wife for 2-1/2 years, they have 3 sons that could be cutting and supplying firewood. Have offered to build them a saw, they don't need one. Last year made them come and haul it, helped load it. I know it's coming, do you have any extra firewood we could have. I even told them where to find free wood to cut. What would you guys do?View attachment 856105View attachment 856106View attachment 856108 two trees yield tops of two rows, you can see difference in color, white is new. Then started a new row. Go out tomorrow and collect dead limbs for burning now.
If it were me, I’d be ready to have wood for them this year but make it very clear to all parties that this is the last time and remind them that you offered a saw to the kids. Or you could say yes but it’s $$ per cord. Finally you could just say “no, you’ve ran me low for the last three seasons and I’ve only put up enough for myself”.

These situations are tough as even though you are the nice guy, you risk being called the ******* if you stop.

Got many loads put up this morning thanks to the H-Girls as my 2 involunteers. Consequences for not getting along... I kept cutting while they took loads to the stacks. So the longer it took them, the more wood they had to deal with. By the end everyone was happy again. :numberone:

Here's part of what they did, plus a few loads that I cut last night. Sorry @Cowboy254 , no pics of each individual load after I split and they loaded.
20200920_105409.jpg
And a few I did before everyone was up and around.
20200920_081419.jpg
20200920_083148.jpg

Latest posts

Back