Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's a load of wood going for around you all? Have never sold wood before, but my old boss keeps saying he wants to buy some from me. This is the first load, mostly white ash (was a nice solid standing tree I dropped last weekend), and the smalls is a mix of maple, mulberry, red oak, cherry, hackberry, elm, and a tiny bit of apple.

View attachment 857507
Depends if he was a good boss or bad boss. :laugh: Looks like $100 load. $120 delivered and $300 delivered and stacked.

around here wood isnt worth too much, the mills arnt paying a premium, so were getting flooded with burn wood. I doubt well see over$100.00 cord, (not delivered) this season. Heck I can get my logging buddy to drop a truck load of logs for under $300.00 now. Two years ago that same load would have been $700.00

around here wood isnt worth too much, the mills arnt paying a premium, so were getting flooded with burn wood. I doubt well see over$100.00 cord, (not delivered) this season. Heck I can get my logging buddy to drop a truck load of logs for under $300.00 now. Two years ago that same load would have been $700.00
Tri-axle loads are stihl $700 over here in York co. Sean. Not sure what they are paying but there is a constant flow of log trucks past my place hauling wood to Spring Grove paper mill.

Hardwood firewood is generally going for $200/cord around here. Not a lot of people burn, and lots of guys produce it, and there has been no shortage of storm damaged trees to cut up this year.

I split some Ash, Elm and Black Walnut this morning. The Elm makes me thankful for my Hydro splitter!

I love the smell of the HVBW. It is nice wood and at times I feel bad burning it.

Thanks for the input.

Softwood about $150
Hardwood $200-300.

If Joe Redneck needs beer a cord of hardwood might be $150 but it will be green and he’ll probably show up with a short bed full and call it a cord.

So, my thinking of $100 for that truck load sounds close. I'm curious to see how much is on there, has to be 1/2 cord or better. We'll be unloading and helping stack. Was gonna charge another $10-20 for that. Most of this $ is going to the kids for helping. Trying to teach them that hard work pays off.

Thanks brother.

Depends if he was a good boss or bad boss. :laugh: Looks like $100 load. $120 delivered and $300 delivered and stacked.

LOL! He was a good boss, still friends after he retired. A good mentor. I hate charging him anything, honestly. Last year I loaded him up with three loads in his truck, but he helped me buck and split the stuff. His health won't let him do that now.

Yeah, I always though those trees had too much sap and caused high amounts of creosote??
It all burns well when season properly.
I have a good time when people tell me you can't burn pine inside, it's much like when people say a specific saw brand is the best lol.
Yesterday I was at my BIL's place and his buddy asked what type of saws I had, I listed them off "jred, husky, echo, dolmar", then said "stihl", and he says oh good deal I'm a stihl guy, their best, sorry, I said "it's okay I forgive you for not knowing better" :laughing: .
I was out picking up a splitter and selling a hunting item, same with that, I tell people one hunting item in hand is better than two in the bush when you need them, brand loyalty goes out the window quickly as does the type of wood when you can get anything else or the other one is broken :yes:.
BIL and his son cut a lot over skidded wood, their using carbide chains now.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 8.06.23 AM.png
Dang stihls loosing nuts/screws lol.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 8.07.03 AM.png
Carbide chain after 10 loads, it seemed to cut pretty well, but it wasn't too fast on that little 290 as it was running pretty fat even with the "muffler mod" above lol.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 8.05.51 AM.png
Made some adjustments, was thinking of you @H-Ranch :lol:.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 8.09.35 AM.png

Tri-axle loads are stihl $700 over here in York co. Sean. Not sure what they are paying but there is a constant flow of log trucks past my place hauling wood to Spring Grove paper mill.
Yeah we have a kinda constant flow in and out of weabers mill, I live down the street. My buddy hasn't been taking anything there, keeps saying its worthless. Dropped a tri axle off at my place, asked him how much? Said $300.00. I know a few one man mills have slowed way down Around colebrook as well.

It all burns well when season properly.
I have a good time when people tell me you can't burn pine inside, it's much like when people say a specific saw brand is the best lol.
Yesterday I was at my BIL's place and his buddy asked what type of saws I had, I listed them off "jred, husky, echo, dolmar", then said "stihl", and he says oh good deal I'm a stihl guy, their best, sorry, I said "it's okay I forgive you for not knowing better" :laughing: .
I was out picking up a splitter and selling a hunting item, same with that, I tell people one hunting item in hand is better than two in the bush when you need them, brand loyalty goes out the window quickly as does the type of wood when you can get anything else or the other one is broken :yes:.
BIL and his son cut a lot over skidded wood, their using carbide chains now.
View attachment 857638
Dang stihls loosing nuts/screws lol.
View attachment 857640
Carbide chain after 10 loads, it seemed to cut pretty well, but it wasn't too fast on that little 290 as it was running pretty fat even with the "muffler mod" above lol.
View attachment 857639
Made some adjustments, was thinking of you @H-Ranch :lol:.
View attachment 857641

I've got a pine I'm gonna drop that's next to the driveway, it's probably 25 maybe 30 feet tall. It keeps dropping sap on the cars. I was originally going to dedicate it to camp firewood, but maybe I'll look up how to properly season it see how it burns in the house.

Nice hunting items you got there. On that last pic, you should look into RIBZ. You slightly adjust the elevation drum for that zeroing method. It's the absolute best for irons on an AR. in my humble opinion.

Yeah we have a kinda constant flow in and out of weabers mill, I live down the street. My buddy hasn't been taking anything there, keeps saying its worthless. Dropped a tri axle off at my place, asked him how much? Said $300.00. I know a few one man mills have slowed way down Around colebrook as well.
I see Weabers log trailers on Rt 15 a lot with big saw logs. Not sure why prices are so low for the loggers with the high price of lumber on the commodity market. Wish I was a closer I'd have your buddy bring me 3 or 4 loads.

I've got a pine I'm gonna drop that's next to the driveway, it's probably 25 maybe 30 feet tall. It keeps dropping sap on the cars. I was originally going to dedicate it to camp firewood, but maybe I'll look up how to properly season it see how it burns in the house.

Nice hunting items you got there. On that last pic, you should look into RIBZ. You slightly adjust the elevation drum for that zeroing method. It's the absolute best for irons on an AR. in my humble opinion.
Sounds fun. I like to spray my saws down with wd-40 before cutting anything that's pitchy, I also usually use the stihls lol.
I may be heading to Cleveland area to make a purchase this week, I could help if I do, I could bring a ported 70cc saw and some square chain:chainsaw:, that sounds like a pretty big tree :p. I hate pitch on my rides!
There's a million options for optics/sights on them, I can hit what's needed at 100 no problem with any of them, and the longest I'd need to at the house is around 75 lol. That's one I'm selling, first rounds thru it yesterday, it works :).

I see Weabers log trailers on Rt 15 a lot with big saw logs. Not sure why prices are so low for the loggers with the high price of lumber on the commodity market. Wish I was a closer I'd have your buddy bring me 3 or 4 loads.
I dont understand it myself. Tbh.

Sounds fun. I like to spray my saws down with wd-40 before cutting anything that's pitchy, I also usually use the stihls lol.
I may be heading to Cleveland area to make a purchase this week, I could help if I do, I could bring a ported 70cc saw and some square chain:chainsaw:, that sounds like a pretty big tree :p. I hate pitch on my rides!
There's a million options for optics/sights on them, I can hit what's needed at 100 no problem with any of them, and the longest I'd need to at the house is around 75 lol. That's one I'm selling, first rounds thru it yesterday, it works :).

The more help the better. Maybe it's not that tall, not a huge tree. I'll snap a pic in a bit.

I have beer and food to offer in payment, and/or wood. LOL.

The boy and I delivered the first load. The boy said there's just over 8/10s of a cord, or 4/5. It's more than I expected, honestly. Boss man said how about $250 for two loads. He'll likely tip the kids too. Good by me for a friend/mentor. Anyone else, they'll pay double. LOL

E49C7885-FB36-43EE-9C91-ADEB9642B4A8.jpeg

42CCFC05-BCB4-4C40-8E46-A6D6FDE86059.jpeg

Anyone good at tree identification? Looks like a apple or cherry of some sort to me. They said it gets pink flowers, no fruit.

8BBBED96-F369-4EA9-9DD4-C1FBE6041E86.jpegFA9A3EE7-3AD0-47A3-AB25-2B87AC6BEAAE.jpeg

The boy and I delivered the first load. The boy said there's just over 8/10s of a cord, or 4/5. It's more than I expected, honestly. Boss man said how about $250 for two loads. He'll likely tip the kids too. Good by me for a friend/mentor. Anyone else, they'll pay double. LOL

View attachment 857678

View attachment 857681

Anyone good at tree identification? Looks like a apple or cherry of some sort to me. They said it gets pink flowers, no fruit.

View attachment 857679View attachment 857680
Kinda looks like apple from the bark and suckers shooting off the limbs. Leaves don't look like it though.

Back