Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny - 'everyone' here on AS howls, then tell me that they 'just run their saw through some clean wood' anytime I mention cleaning chains!

Philbert
A guys gotta do what he's gotta do.
Funny how we can be very particular on certain things and then loose as heck on others lol.
Most of us are very hypocritical when you look past the surface at all, I often have to reconsider my ways, amazing how kids have a way of bringing those things to light :rolleyes:.

Made some adjustments, was thinking of you @H-Ranch :lol:.
View attachment 857641
Well yeah, how do you expect to hit anything 12/4ths down range if you don't use the 6/3rds adjustment?!? :laughing:

Finished up 2 of the down maples at FIL's place today. Lots of smalls so probably a cord or less. Made a quick trip of it - still more to do.
20200926_182809.jpg

Started turning lake logs into firewood. Cut up the three we dragged in last fall and then drug in 7 more tonight. Should keep me busy for a while. This stuff turns green after a couple hours above water. The middle rounds split nice but the ends are kind of crappy. The Fiskars SSA works nicely for these. Did I mention this is virgin white pine that has been in the lake since 1912..... Unfortunately it’s too degraded to turn into lumber because it sat in shallow water . They tried this from our lake and reportedly you could break a 2x4 over your knee.

By the last log the duck tape was starting to fail on the improvised pickaroon. I’m not a huge pickaroon user but it sure works good in these situations. May have to buy a 6 footer.

The Simplicity rider with mower deck removed works great as a skiddah. It’s amazing how much nicer it is without that damn deck getting in the way

The single log pictured with pickaroon was the one that nearly wrecked my day.

41C54901-1B4B-442F-AF86-E95B93BE3BA2.jpegF96C25F3-EE22-43FA-8CFB-2A456B9F7CA5.jpegEAE7CFD4-F4D7-40BC-B0A0-A40CD31425E8.jpegB41DF2C0-9125-4BED-9FF8-DD2628E082AC.jpegE3901849-0948-4478-A004-9C67AF68246A.jpeg

Only tree with green leaves I took down this year. Wife never agrees to it, except this one was close to house and over driveway. Had an area with fungus under bark and Mr Pileated convinced her, she wanted it removed. Removed rails from fence and dropped on drive. Cut into pieces I could lift and move, raining today, will process at later date. Logs and larger limbs, stacked small limbs. Almost passed out wife and granddaughter came out to help. WTH, praised their help, maybe they will help again.IMG_20200927_091530937.jpgIMG_20200927_091520167.jpg

Back