Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way things are right now, buying a tag isnt to bad since the state finally took over the local tag office. getting your drivers license is another matter. I cant even get an appointment to renew my license. the examiners office told me not to worry about it that I had 5 months once all Covid restrictions are removed. So, Now I am driving around with and expired license, and no tag on trailers.

Minnesota may be in the Midwest but our government likes to tax and fee us like the high dollar states on the coasts.

Jesse Ventura didn’t do much as governor but he lowered license fees for about 15 years. When that bill expired they went sky high.

We leased a new suburban for a couple of years. When the Ventura bill expired my tags went from $127 up to $650 PER YEAR. Your tags are based on the value of your car. My older vehicles are at a flat rate of $65 per year.
Ok you win, you got me beat. I just hope those plates came with a tube of Vaseline.

Only saws i know came with blades were the Wright saws. 3 blades. 1 for crosscutting,1for ripping and 1 to cut up you moose.
I know a lot of guys use cordless sawzalls for that now! They make some pretty long blades.

You can use a chainsaw with canola for bar oil but the saw needs to be cleaned very well afterwards or it will get rank in a hurry!

Did some work on trailers tonight.

Scrapped the sides on my long time wood hauler. It was time. The front beam on the trailer “box” itself was cracked in two places. I’m going to get a chunk of steel to reinforce that and then do stronger/higher sides and make the side walls out of lumber rather than plywood.

Then I cleaned up the tongues on the two recently titled trailers and painted with rustoleum so the permanent tags have something to stick to. Also did some wiring work on the pickup box trailer. Running lights work, blinker and brake are weak on one side. Will pull the light and see how the ground is.

I think NY has everyone else beat. The registration for my "light trailer" (TS 5' X 8') is supposed to be $24.50 per year, but because I don't live far enough away from NYC, we get a $25/yr MTA surcharge, so I pay $49.50 / year to register a tiny little trailer! More than double the price on a dinky trailer, and then the Dems claim they only want to tax the rich!!!
This is why I moved to Ulster county. No MTA surcharge it's a biatch when you have 8 old cars 3 motorcycles and 2 regular use vehicles . 325 dollars in surcharges and they used to hit me with a diesel surcharge of 50 bucks a year on top of the 25 because my truck is over 8k give me a brake . Now they get nothing

Minnesota may be in the Midwest but our government likes to tax and fee us like the high dollar states on the coasts.

Jesse Ventura didn’t do much as governor but he lowered license fees for about 15 years. When that bill expired they went sky high.

We leased a new suburban for a couple of years. When the Ventura bill expired my tags went from $127 up to $650 PER YEAR. Your tags are based on the value of your car. My older vehicles are at a flat rate of $65 per year.
On a leased car you dont even own . That's nuts

Nice! I have two small honey locusts down that I need to buck and split, then a small sugar maple. Hoping to tackle them tomorrow.
I cut some honey locust a couple years ago and was surprised how heavy it was. Right up there wIth white oak and black locust according to the charts and I'd agree!

I cut some honey locust a couple years ago and was surprised how heavy it was. Right up there wIth white oak and black locust according to the charts and I'd agree!

I have a bunch of huge honey locust in my woods. I want to cut one or two down and make boards to redo the front porch deck.

The leaves are gorgepus this year. Pops took a pic of my property for me last Sunday. This doesn't show all of our property, but the main homestead and some of our woods.

We haven't had color like this in 4 years or more.

View attachment 861784
Beautiful! Looks like a very nice place.

The leaves are gorgepus this year. Pops took a pic of my property for me last Sunday. This doesn't show all of our property, but the main homestead and some of our woods.

We haven't had color like this in 4 years or more.

View attachment 861784
Cool pic. Your dad is really tall!;)

Back