Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaves are gorgepus this year. Pops took a pic of my property for me last Sunday. This doesn't show all of our property, but the main homestead and some of our woods.

We haven't had color like this in 4 years or more.

View attachment 861784
Nice pics Maud. The boss is from Toledo.

I own two trailers, build both, and have never titled or tagged either, nor paid any taxes. Been pulling them everywhere for at least 10 years. One day I will get caught, but I have saved enough already to pay any fine.

This is the only thing we in California pay much less for. Ten dollars every five years.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-5014-1.html
Fixed :rolleyes:.
The way things are right now, buying a tag isnt to bad since the state finally took over the local tag office. getting your drivers license is another matter. I cant even get an appointment to renew my license. the examiners office told me not to worry about it that I had 5 months once all Covid restrictions are removed. So, Now I am driving around with and expired license, and no tag on trailers.
I have an appointment for January :dizzy:.

I need to buy a trailer. My wood hauling trailer stays on the property. Not road worthy, especially not now. I was a dumbass, and broke it. You see, when I was skidding logs I would sometimes just hook then up with a chain to the trailer so I didn't have to disconnect it from the tractor, because it's kind of a pain. Well, I had a pretty decent size ash on the ground that was getting stuck, and I just kept on ah yanking, and broke one of the spring shackles. Last weekend I fixed that, then took it down in the woods and within 5 minutes I broke it again. one of the tires caught a stump and bent outwards... Now it gets hung up on the inner fender. Looks like the axel on this thing was from the front end of something. It has what looks like ball joints or something, that can turn left or right.

Ugh...

I like those chains a lot.
You should see if he can do up a nice square chain for you.
Dan's a great guy :yes:.
He had some square filed EL chain too. I have yet to dabble in any square filed chain. Round file seems to do pretty well for me, and I'm just getting the hang of hand filing that LOL. Not sure I'm quite ready to try to learn how to square file yet, although I wouldn't mind trying it at some point. I know nothing about it, so I have no idea what kind of square files to get etc.

If I was doing more tree work I'd get one.
I like the wheeled ones too, I almost bought one a couple yrs ago, I should have.
https://www.mucktruck.com/us/muck-truck/

I can't even begin to imagine what that thing would cost. Maybe when I'm older and I'm tired of pushing a regular wheelbarrow. LOL.

Whelp, I'll chat with y'all later. Time to get to getting, want to get these few smaller trees bucked up. Time to see who wins between the 346 and 241.

Decoy maintenance inside while the snow squalls come through.

Everlasting flotation for these thanks to spray foam.
7D30B0EA-ED01-4523-85A1-513ED5D6FF89.jpeg

These were pretty rashed up from years of decoy bag abuse so they got a shot of flat black (which appears shiny because it’s wet). Sometimes I’ll dust their backs with white or grey which looks quite like bluebills and ringnecks. Back in the old days, a lot of the hunters only used flat back decoys.
94553AEB-1D2D-443A-B245-8319F1560882.jpeg

Well, here is the trailer situation. I got it straightened back out, and tried wedging a sacrificial screech in to stop it from rotating. Didn't work. Almost had a full load and then she pissed me off and I drug her up.

FAF5AF42-B539-45EA-A8AE-6C3304269DDC.jpeg4B4E48B0-C212-47D5-8A3D-79DC1151DA95.jpeg

Still have another load or two to get, and my truck is at the FIL's still getting the brake line(s) repaired that blew last weekend while I was down in the woods... Ugh.

Spent the morning with the 241 and 346xp. The 346xp is staying. I leaned her up some as she sounded rich, and the plug was almost black when I pulled it. It's like a different saw! She's screaming good now. The more I use it, the more I love that little unit.

I'll miss the 241, as its weight is so nice for limbing. But, I'm thinking the 346xp with an 18" bar will be even better. Has a 16" on it now, which worked well today. Bucked up a nice sugar maple I dropped last spring due to the top being busted (and caught up in another tree, still growing leaves, LOL), and a couple small ash and a honey locust I dropped fall of last year. All decent wood, but the honey locust still has some moisture in it.

Well, here is the trailer situation. I got it straightened back out, and tried wedging a sacrificial screech in to stop it from rotating. Didn't work. Almost had a full load and then she pissed me off and I drug her up.

View attachment 862026View attachment 862027

Still have another load or two to get, and my truck is at the FIL's still getting the brake line(s) repaired that blew last weekend while I was down in the woods... Ugh.

Spent the morning with the 241 and 346xp. The 346xp is staying. I leaned her up some as she sounded rich, and the plug was almost black when I pulled it. It's like a different saw! She's screaming good now. The more I use it, the more I love that little unit.

I'll miss the 241, as its weight is so nice for limbing. But, I'm thinking the 346xp with an 18" bar will be even better. Has a 16" on it now, which worked well today. Bucked up a nice sugar maple I dropped last spring due to the top being busted (and caught up in another tree, still growing leaves, LOL), and a couple small ash and a honey locust I dropped fall of last year. All decent wood, but the honey locust still has some moisture in it.
Time to break the welder out, mate. That's an old truck axle. I'd weld the gap at the knuckle.
Cheers your 346 is staying, they are great little saws.

Back