Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
like free :envy:, the wood to scrounge in my immediate area is free and seeminly non-stop! carry in's to pickup truck loads. :) fire... camp... and cooking, too. oak to pecan! I never seem to catch up! lol ;) been like that all summer and into early fall. other day got in a midnight scrounge. wood all over the place, trimmed oak and de-branched, no lil top handle needed - like soldiers on an old civil war battlefield. wanted to stay out of the hair of the 2-day project, arborist lead said sure take all u want, we are done for the day! be back tomorrow...

made it a 3-fer wb loads... midnight run ~
Limbs are great. Don't kill yourself splitting like the big stuff.

I did get some bad news this morning.

It was not unexpected, but my Mom passed at 91 years old.
91 is a good run, but it doesn't hurt any less. Sorry to hear about your family's loss, Mike. God bless.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Daddy is that you, I am adopted :laugh:.
That's very generous of you.
Great deal on an awesome machine.
I just listed a JD GT245 last night with the 20hp Kawasaki and a 54" deck. It has 525hrs on it and the hood is still attached, if you guys know about these machines you know why I say that; for those who don't, they always crack at the hinge. I listed it for $1350, hard to find one with a 54" deck for under 1500, especially with relatively lower hrs, usually they have over 1000 on them.
Good mowers, I'd buy another. Just set a friend up with a GT235 that has the Kohler and a 48" deck, no hr meter since it's a 2000, it was $1000.
View attachment 865049
That GT 245 is one hell of a nice tractor. My neighbor swears by them.

If your running stihl RS like in his pictures and you're following the witness marks, you ain setting them at 25 ;).
His angles I could see were less than the 30 not more than 30.

1604184108444.png
1. I was looking more at the undercut angle, not the top angle. The combined top-plate, side-plate, and file guide angles just looked a bit steep to me. See diagram above. There are 3 angles to evaluate, and I don't pretend to be a machinist with a keen eye, either.
2. I couldn't see any witness marks, at least not well enough to make a judgement. I don't consider that a 2-d photograph allows too much 3 dimensional evaluation unless it is in profile view. See diagram above. I'll allow others to make that call if they are so inclined.
1604185002090.png

3. I don't buy Stihl chain. I got nothing against it, but I buy Oregon chain at wholesale prices, generally in 100' rolls. If you ain't a protected dealership, you ain't getting favorable pricing from Stihl.
4. I'm not even familiar with "RS" chain. I looked up the filing angles, and they were all straight up at 30°. Ignorant as I am about where and how that RS chain should be used, I'll not be able to comment on it's use.

Quite frankly, I don't make that much money anyway, and Stihl chain doesn't last a bit longer, nor cut any faster, when most of the time we are cutting through dirt infested rotten logs, long buried nails, chain link fences, impregnated fence posts, and stuff like that. It doesn't help that my guys haven't quite mastered the art of missing the ground, either.
We do the dirty work that so many other folks decline to touch.

So what exactly did they use to do this? Obviously some kind of auger

93e4be4fee995b639ba07e69eef2abe9.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Given that all the sections in the background are pretty identical in length, I'd guess that they use a really big hole saw, so as to recover the big plug that came out of the logs.

1604185555568.png

I did get some bad news this morning.

It was not unexpected, but my Mom passed at 91 years old.

My mother died a couple of weeks ago at 88. She was remarkably healthy, and took no medicines, and didn't even know any doctors. While greatly saddened, in retrospect, I am relieved that she told me she was looking forward to visiting God.

For those of you who haven't been down that road with your parents yet, dammit! Make a plan for your own demise. Let everybody know how you want to be buried, get your will into everybody's hands and just make sure you don't become a burden to add to your family's grief.

Myself, I plan on being so contrary, independent, and obstreperous that everybody will be glad when I am gone. I also plan on taking care of myself and lasting so long that everyone will be saying at my funeral that they didn't think I was ever going to croak. No grief, no pain, just goodbye. :drinkingcoffee:

Helped some friends fell and buck some dead shagbark hickory today. The one was close to the house, which was a little scary as the stump was already rotted a couple inches in. I used the 461 with 28" bar as the 20" on the 254 was not long enough. I did do a good amount of noodling with the 254 though, as well as most of the bucking.

Also took care of a huge red oak stump for them. was able to cut two good 16-18" wheels off of it for them to split. Noodled the one so they could handle it. Could have used at longer bar for sure, the 28" on the 461 barely reached the middle of the stump! Had to use the F Tree Fiddy to pull the last wheel off, LOL. I forgot to take pics of that.

All in all, a good safe day. The trees and wheels should give him a good 2 cord or so of wood.

EE488A27-34D7-4C6C-A066-FEA565B26415.jpeg16A0FBDD-A2F5-499D-B6ED-23678914D44E.jpegD49A7AC5-2665-40DB-B36A-E7C5EAEE9839.jpegDEAC6FF4-83DB-4DEC-8020-1BA79FFE7A30.jpeg

View attachment 865162
1. I was looking more at the undercut angle, not the top angle. The combined top-plate, side-plate, and file guide angles just looked a bit steep to me. See diagram above. There are 3 angles to evaluate, and I don't pretend to be a machinist with a keen eye, either.
2. I couldn't see any witness marks, at least not well enough to make a judgement. I don't consider that a 2-d photograph allows too much 3 dimensional evaluation unless it is in profile view. See diagram above. I'll allow others to make that call if they are so inclined.
View attachment 865163

3. I don't buy Stihl chain. I got nothing against it, but I buy Oregon chain at wholesale prices, generally in 100' rolls. If you ain't a protected dealership, you ain't getting favorable pricing from Stihl.
4. I'm not even familiar with "RS" chain. I looked up the filing angles, and they were all straight up at 30°. Ignorant as I am about where and how that RS chain should be used, I'll not be able to comment on it's use.

Quite frankly, I don't make that much money anyway, and Stihl chain doesn't last a bit longer, nor cut any faster, when most of the time we are cutting through dirt infested rotten logs, long buried nails, chain link fences, impregnated fence posts, and stuff like that. It doesn't help that my guys haven't quite mastered the art of missing the ground, either.
We do the dirty work that so many other folks decline to touch.
Nice try.
He gave enough to get a decent look at the angles, including the "undercut angle", which wasn't aggressive at all(kinda like the pictures on the box you posted lol).
In the past the stihl chain was much harder and held an edge much longer than most others, but now the Oregon EXL and Huskys newest chain is as hard and as durable.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

Helped some friends fell and buck some dead shagbark hickory today. The one was close to the house, which was a little scary as the stump was already rotted a couple inches in. I used the 461 with 28" bar as the 20" on the 254 was not long enough. I did do a good amount of noodling with the 254 though, as well as most of the bucking.

Also took care of a huge red oak stump for them. was able to cut two good 16-18" wheels off of it for them to split. Noodled the one so they could handle it. Could have used at longer bar for sure, the 28" on the 461 barely reached the middle of the stump! Had to use the F Tree Fiddy to pull the last wheel off, LOL. I forgot to take pics of that.

All in all, a good safe day. The trees and wheels should give him a good 2 cord or so of wood.

View attachment 865171View attachment 865173View attachment 865174View attachment 865175
Not much in that stump to hold the butt on it :surprised3:.
These are the ones it's nice to have a rope in just in case, and a continuous pull rope winch to encourage it to go where you want it to.
Glad you got that one down safely:cheers:.

You need a Cyclone Rake for those leaves.
Well that would take up more space, and I need to keep as much as possible.
I sold the leaf rake the mower came with, the trailer is listed with the mower, the new to me little kubota(60" belly mower) will have to do until I can find another dedicated mower. I also have the redmax backpack blower I can use which works very well when they aren't to wet.
That GT 245 is one hell of a nice tractor. My neighbor swears by them.
It does a great job, and that's coming from a guy who has had Exmarks for the last 19yrs.
I had a guy look at it today who drove an hr(wanted me to go lower on the price), and have another coming from an hr and a half to look at it tomorrow, must be at least a few know what they are :yes:.

Nice try.
He gave enough to get a decent look at the angles, including the "undercut angle", which wasn't aggressive at all(kinda like the pictures on the box you posted lol).
In the past the stihl chain was much harder and held an edge much longer than most others, but now the Oregon EXL and Huskys newest chain is as hard and as durable.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

This isn't my thread to pick fights in. I generally do that elsewhere.

That being said, I gave you an easy out. Now argue with the picture.

sharpening angle.jpg

Now if that isn't a steeper angle than the witness marks, then we are clearly talking in different languages.

Not much in that stump to hold the butt on it :surprised3:.
These are the ones it's nice to have a rope in just in case, and a continuous pull rope winch to encourage it to go where you want it to.
Glad you got that one down safely:cheers:.

I was praying hard. Used some wedges on the back cut to help her along.

no ropes were available, and with all of our chain combined we only have like 35ft (I didn't bring any, but always have a 20fter in the truck to yank people out of the ditch in the winter)

The other scary one is closer to the house, and is leaning towards it. I considered trying it for a good hour or more, but decided to pass unless we could get a rope on it. At one point he was thinking about putting the bucket of his tractor against the tree to push while I cut, but the tractor didn't start.

This isn't my thread to pick fights in. I generally do that elsewhere.

That being said, I gave you an easy out. Now argue with the picture.

View attachment 865176

Now if that isn't a steeper angle than the witness marks, then we are clearly talking in different languages.
So you had to go back to find the picture which disagrees with what you just said above, that you where talking about the undercut angle lol.
Go draw the lines on the cutters I was talking about.
You also said you couldn't see any witness marks, what did you put the green line on.
Maybe we were talking about two different pictures, because that chain has been sharpened and the other wasn't.

Back