Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that would take up more space, and I need to keep as much as possible.
I sold the leaf rake the mower came with, the trailer is listed with the mower, the new to me little kubota(60" belly mower) will have to do until I can find another dedicated mower. I also have the redmax backpack blower I can use which works very well when they aren't to wet.

You know a cyclone rake folds up and can hang on your wall. I just fold it up and stand against wall.

I was praying hard. Used some wedges on the back cut to help her along.

no ropes were available, and with all of our chain combined we only have like 35ft (I didn't bring any, but always have a 20fter in the truck to yank people out of the ditch in the winter)

The other scary one is closer to the house, and is leaning towards it. I considered trying it for a good hour or more, but decided to pass unless we could get a rope on it. At one point he was thinking about putting the bucket of his tractor against the tree to push while I cut, but the tractor didn't start.
Sometimes when they are that punky the wedge will just squish into the wood :surprised3: .
Sounds like it may have been the best not to go for it.
Are you guys under the wind advisory, they're saying up to 45mph winds here tomorrow, if so it may come down then:crazy2: . Hopefully the wind will be blowing in the right direction.

Sometimes when they are that punky the wedge will just squish into the wood :surprised3: .
Are you guys under the wind advisory, they're saying up to 45mph winds here tomorrow, if so it may come down then:crazy2: . Hopefully the wind will be blowing in the right direction.
First time consumers power sent out a statement saying to prep for power outages.

First time consumers power sent out a statement saying to prep for power outages.
We have a local power company, if we loose power they are right on it. If it's out longer than a half hr then theres something bad that's happened like a fatality.
We'll have a lot more ash on the ground and the deer will be hunkered down.

Haven't checked the weather. We're supposed to be working on the bees tomorrow, harvesting any honey and getting them buttoned up for winter. The wife said something about rain/snow mix. I need to check the forecast.

Most of the top is already gone from the tree, but the wind might be able to take it down. I also pray it goes the right way...

We have a local power company, if we loose power they are right on it. If it's out longer than a half hr then theres something bad that's happened like a fatality.
We'll have a lot more ash on the ground and the deer will be hunkered down.

I'm glad I got my generator setup going. Had the electrician wire in a transfer switch setup so I can back feed the house. Old Onan 6.5KW gene out of an RV. Should run most of the house, along with the well pump and water heater (not at the same time, but I could get the water hot, then turn it off and run the pump).

I went to the bush and cut down a bunch of the big ashes and a few maples. There was hardly any wind as I started to cut but as usual as soon as I was committed the wind picked up and held the tree in place. I used wedges but wasn't able to double stack them and buried them to the bark and the darn thing just stood there wiggling and cracking in the wind. I nibbled away at the wedge until I finally got enough out that it finally fell. I never took pictures of that one but here is one of another one that I dropped into the wind too, it's the lighting stuck one from my last set of pictures. He wants to drag the brush out and burn it all so I was trying to fell them into the field if possible. There is maybe 20 or 25 more maples to come out, they are almost all dead on the top and full of broken branches. There is also another dozen 30" plus ashes along a ravine that I need to drop out into the field too. Today was a long enough day though. We trimmed the branches up and cut the tops out so he can drag everything out when he has time. I suggesting leaving the logs tree length if possible so the mill buyer can mark where he wants them cut. There is some very nice logs so it would be a shame to waste them by cutting incorrectly. There was also some nice downed maple that was spalted so I might cut on my own mill. 18" bar on my 261 for scale. I should have used my 362 to drop a few of these but never. I only cut the first pic he cut the last pic earlier.

Attachments

• 20201031_132551.jpg
    20201031_132551.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201031_155936.jpg
    20201031_155936.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201030_122005.jpg
    20201030_122005.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
I went to the bush and cut down a bunch of the big ashes and a few maples. There was hardly any wind as I started to cut but as usual as soon as I was committed the wind picked up and held the tree in place. I used wedges but wasn't able to double stack them and buried them to the bark and the darn thing just stood there wiggling and cracking in the wind. I nibbled away at the wedge until I finally got enough out that it finally fell. I never took pictures of that one but here is one of another one that I dropped into the wind too, it's the lighting stuck one from my last set of pictures. He wants to drag the brush out and burn it all so I was trying to fell them into the field if possible. There is maybe 20 or 25 more maples to come out, they are almost all dead on the top and full of broken branches. There is also another dozen 30" plus ashes along a ravine that I need to drop out into the field too. Today was a long enough day though. We trimmed the branches up and cut the tops out so he can drag everything out when he has time. I suggesting leaving the logs tree length if possible so the mill buyer can mark where he wants them cut. There is some very nice logs so it would be a shame to waste them by cutting incorrectly. There was also some nice downed maple that was spalted so I might cut on my own mill. 18" bar on my 261 for scale. I should have used my 362 to drop a few of these but never. I only cut the first pic he cut the last pic earlier.
Some nice sized ash right there.
I was thinking of you yesterday when I drove by the house you guys installed up the street. About a half mile north of there they just built a moderately sized home. I went through there after driving across the covered bridge they got opened this summer, I was hoping to show a friend of mine who's visiting from India some deer, didn't see a single deer. Then today I seen a bunch when I was by myself, even saw a pheasant north of Allendale, first I've seen in quite a while.

So you had to go back to find the picture which disagrees with what you just said above, that you where talking about the undercut angle lol.
Go draw the lines on the cutters I was talking about.
You also said you couldn't see any witness marks, what did you put the green line on.
Maybe we were talking about two different pictures, because that chain has been sharpened and the other wasn't.

If you are going to quote me, kindly be correct about it. What I said was this (with emphasis added):

" 1. I was looking more at the undercut angle, not the top angle. The combined top-plate, side-plate, and file guide angles just looked a bit steep to me. See diagram above. There are 3 angles to evaluate, and I don't pretend to be a machinist with a keen eye, either.​
2. I couldn't see any witness marks, at least not well enough to make a judgement. I don't consider that a 2-d photograph allows too much 3 dimensional evaluation unless it is in profile view."​

Be nice. Nothing here is really worth quibbling about. I usually like a good internet squabble, but I just don't think this is the thread for it. I visit this thread when I want to read about folks happy with their accomplishments and sharing their common interests.

You can be assured that thanks to your evaluation of my statements, I deeply regret commenting on the angle of the sharpening. If being right is what you want to be, then I am sure that I was mistaken.

Haven't checked the weather. We're supposed to be working on the bees tomorrow, harvesting any honey and getting them buttoned up for winter. The wife said something about rain/snow mix. I need to check the forecast.

Most of the top is already gone from the tree, but the wind might be able to take it down. I also pray it goes the right way...

I harvested a very small hive out of a tree this summer. We had trouble, got a new queen, then added some brood frames. Sadly, it then got wiped out by a raccoon in September. :nofunny:

I guess I'll try again in the spring.

If you are going to quote me, kindly be correct about it. What I said was this (with emphasis added):

" 1. I was looking more at the undercut angle, not the top angle. The combined top-plate, side-plate, and file guide angles just looked a bit steep to me. See diagram above. There are 3 angles to evaluate, and I don't pretend to be a machinist with a keen eye, either.​
2. I couldn't see any witness marks, at least not well enough to make a judgement. I don't consider that a 2-d photograph allows too much 3 dimensional evaluation unless it is in profile view."​

Be nice. Nothing here is really worth quibbling about. I usually like a good internet squabble, but I just don't think this is the thread for it. I visit this thread when I want to read about folks happy with their accomplishments and sharing their common interests.

You can be assured that thanks to your evaluation of my statements, I deeply regret commenting on the angle of the sharpening. If being right is what you want to be, then I am sure that I was mistaken.
Guys, seriously I'm no pro at sharpening a chain free hand. I know my angles are off a bit. If I'd have know a few pics of my chains would have started a tussle I would have left them off. At any rate, I do appreciate the input. I'll do my best to keep the angles lined up better next go around.
Cheers.

... I used wedges but wasn't able to double stack them and buried them to the bark and the darn thing just stood there wiggling and cracking in the wind...

Been there, done that. I usually find a sturdy branch nearby and make a wooden wedge real quick to help out. The trick is cutting a thin enough wedge to pound in. I typically make 'em too fat, and they don't hold or drive in as well as they should.

In fact, I did that just yesterday. It was a crappy wedge, but it did what I needed. Just barely.
Sometimes I get lazy and don't bring any with me.

Guys, seriously I'm no pro at sharpening a chain free hand. I know my angles are off a bit. If I'd have know a few pics of my chains would have started a tussle I would have left them off. At any rate, I do appreciate the input. I'll do my best to keep the angles lined up better next go around.
Cheers.

They were excellent pics, and I thought the sharpening was excellent. Quite frankly, I have trouble hand filing my saws to such a perfect looking, shiny edge. I'm not patient enough to make 'em pretty: I just go for an edge that will make chips until the next nail comes along. I have also never really found that the angles were any more important than just getting it sharp at any angle. You seemed interested in some review, and I was happy to share my observations.

If you find that your chainsaw is zipping through wood at an acceptable rate, then keep up what you are doing. If you are into racing your saw, then be more careful with your angles, do time trials with a stopwatch, and get real crazy about it. Otherwise, do what works good for you, and keep your mind open for any improvements.

I met a tree climber once that had absolutely the sharpest chain I have ever seen. It was razor sharp; I don't know how he did it with just a hand file. It was truly amazing, and I've seen a lot of chain. He also insisted on using only a Homelite Super 2. He didn't even want a really good saw like a 200T. :dizzy:

BTW: I don't recall that anybody here has discussed your depth gauge filing. That's probably a lot more important than your filing angles, anyway. When you buy a chain sharpening down at the local hardware store, they seldom touch the depth gauges, nor do the stihl or other chainsaw dealers. You see, when the depth guages are not lowered, the chain cuts slow, and they sell more chains to the dummies that don't know any better. So carry on doing your own!

Speaking of hand filing, how many of you guys use one of these from Husqvarna?

View attachment 865207

I usually freehand file, 'cause I keep losing my favorite. This is the only filing guide that I will use. I think they are faster and easier than doing without.
I use them when I use a guide.
The bad thing about them is the depth gauge I to thin and turns into a razor blade.
I like these for the rakers, it's a husky and it does the same angles as that one does. Buy local for a good price, they are usually expensive on the net.
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 11.14.55 PM.png

I'm pretty safe on the depth gauges not getting too thin. I have never figured out how to reliably use them for filing the rakers. They might be great, but I have never used that part with any confidence.

I mostly set my rakers with an oregon bench grinder. I have one set up with a flat wheel for only working the depth gauges. We hand file the first raker with an oregon depth gauge tool, then adjust the grinder to match that height. Burn on, baby! The bench grinder works real fast; you needn't even be careful about overheating or making burrs.

If you are feeling real fancy, you can even dress the wheel (using the Oregon dressing stone) with a bit of a curved pitch to emulate what the factory put on it originally.

Back