Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it’s SUPER early but the wife wanted to get an artificial tree this year and set up early.....That got me interested and the gears turning in my head.

Has anyone here ever set up a Christmas tree roadside lot? Google says there is money to be made. Just curious.

My Wife is itching to get our stuff up. I said, "It ain't Thanksgiving yet!" LOL. The one local station already switched to the Christmas tunes, so she's in heaven.

Wicked wind here is laying waste to trees which is usually a scroungers boon for me. Lumbar sacral strain has me off the saws. I have enough wood anyway but free wood.....

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The wind today was some of the strongest I've seen since 2013. My son and wife we're outside when one of the fronts came through and it was hailing. The boy said he heard two trees fall behind the barn. Looks like I'll have some stuff to play with when the new to me 254 gets here. :)

Yes the wind was wicked yesterday. I had wrestled a semi tarp onto my large wood pile out in the yard the day before, but didn't tie it down because it was getting late. Plus it's a pretty heavy tarp. Wind took it off with no problem. Plus I had a Hoopsi Blue Spruce next to the house die early this Spring and the wind snapped it off half way up. Only a 8" dia. tree so not big and it fell away from the house. I was going to cut it where it broke anyway and leave the rest standing for the birds since it's next to the feeder. Clean up today.

We've had another mild and wet wet wet start to autumn, similar to last year. Hopefully it won't carry on all winter like last year did. I feel like I've forgotten what 'normal weather' is. We seem to have extremes of one kind or another a lot these days. Still, the forecast this morning is showing a two week dry spell. Fingers crossed.

We briefly had tornado warnings here last night, something very rare for this area. No tornados, but the rain was pelting the house.

Not too much tree damage because the storm a couple of months ago when the leaves were still on the trees took down so many trees and branches that all the weak stuff is already down.

Finally got a day when I could work on the split/pile. Weather has been really bad for about 2 weeks. Cold, rain, snow and WIND and MORE WIND. I had planned to split some yesterday but the wind was gale force again. Got out this morning and hauled 2 garden trailer full of rounds over to the splitter. It fired right up which was a surprise as it has a habit of needle vavle sticking and flooding. I turn the gas off when I shut dwn but I saw this morning that I had left it on lassdt time I used it.

Leg bothering but as a nuisance level vice "fall on face" pain.

Haven't done much wood cutting in a while here other that working at the city park that we have been cleaning up. Have really gotten back into hunting this fall and have my oldest interested in fishing again so we will be hitting the ice as soon as it is safe. Not like I am giving up on saws and wood cutting but after about 6 years of cutting as my primary hobby I am ready to scale it back a bit.

Bought 6 new tip ups yesterday. Going to put a hurtin on the pike population soon.

:happy:
She's coming back closer to home :p.
Have fun cleaning up the wind damage. Did that one at your buddies come down in that wind?
It was very windy here too, we had two different high wind advisories in the last week.

Wicked wind here is laying waste to trees which is usually a scroungers boon for me. Lumbar sacral strain has me off the saws. I have enough wood anyway but free wood.....

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Hope you feel better soon Jeff.
It sure is nice to be ahead :).

Got your monies worth there!
It ain't over til it's over, and I'm pretty frugal :).
If you use a progressive raker gauge, they cut very well when they get this short, or maybe a .035-.040 fixed for hardwood.
I'll see if I have enough room on my phone to get a video of it cutting, it does a nice job of self feeding without bogging the saw. It's a stock 365 special and it's running a 24" so tuning the chain is critical to good performance.

:happy:
She's coming back closer to home :p.
Have fun cleaning up the wind damage. Did that one at your buddies come down in that wind?
It was very windy here too, we had two different high wind advisories in the last week.

Ha, I asked him about that tree and he hadn't dropped it yet, but make comment that the wind may take it. That was when we were getting the wind. No word from him, so I'm guessing no.

I'm excited, it's out for delivery!

Ha, I asked him about that tree and he hadn't dropped it yet, but make comment that the wind may take it. That was when we were getting the wind. No word from him, so I'm guessing no.

I'm excited, it's out for delivery!
Sweet.
Maybe I can give you guys a hand dropping that thing:chainsaw:, time for a GTG :).

Latest posts

Back