Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome muad. :rock2: Nice buck!! Congrats buddy. Torrential rain supposed to stop in about an hour here. Headin out then.

Was pouring here, turned to snow around 11am or so. I got up at 5:30 and was going to head out, and the wife told me just to stay in and get some more sleep since it was raining so hard. We were up until like 2am watching movies with the kids (I rarely take time off, so we were taking advantage of me not having to work today. I meant to wake up at first light, a little after 7AM, but got woken up just before 9AM to gunshots. I ran, got suited up, and headed out as fast as I could. I wasn't in the woods 30 minutes, in fact I was still making my way slowly back to my stand, when this guy walked in front of me. I almost passed him up because I couldn't see his horns real good, but I'm glad I didn't. He was heavy! Took my wife, son, and I to get him in the truck.

Nice! Great score Maud! That's a dandy!

Thanks!!!

Nice buck! And where did you find my Carhartt jacket, been looking all over for it. I’ve got one just like it that was passed down from my older brother, it’s probably 20 years or older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I've had this one for about 15 years. All tore up, but still warm ;) A couple years ago I bought a new on, Made in USA version.

Looks like a good shot Maud, what did you use?

I used my AR in .450 Bushmaster. It went through both front legs, his heart and a lung. He leapt after the shot hit him, and once he landed he dropped and flopped for a minute. He was out fast, blend out inside, he was full of blood.

I can post more pics if y'all want, just wasn't sure how much gore y'all wanted to see, LOL.

Nice deer muad. always good memories from deer camp.
Here are the pics for the new to me firewood hauler I posted last week. Had a nice 10 mile ride home yesterday on it . Went through and topped off all fluids Installed new battery and sediment bowl.
Stay Safe and Healthy My Friends

Attachments

• 100_5269.JPG
    100_5269.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 100_5270.JPG
    100_5270.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Nice deer muad. always good memories from deer camp.
Here are the pics for the new to me firewood hauler I posted last week. Had a nice 10 mile ride home yesterday on it . Went through and topped off all fluids Installed new battery and sediment bowl.
Stay Safe and Healthy My Friends

What a beauty!

What year is that?

The Allis Chalmers WD45 is between 1953 and a 1957 > I will look up the ser.# and narrow down the date. It has a rebuilt motor and what ever else nice and tight no slippage of clutch or gears. My nephew has a few tractors and did not use this and God Bless Him he gave it to me. The only thing wrong is the Hydraulics on 3 point do not work. Looking into that but not needed to use tractor for my tote tractor.
John

To much ash and little heat and pine is easy to get here and everybody gives it away but i let it season for a year before using anyway it burns nice and hot which is what i want.
Something i couldn't get from poplar.
I’ll give you the ash but it puts out heat if dry. Poplar just burns quick unless the splits are big. I don’t chase poplar but if it’s mine, easy to get or someone brings it to me I’ll use it. I can’t say the same for pine, I don’t know anyone that burns it inside. I know region plays a part but here we have too many hardwoods to think about messing with pine.

A lot of people here won’t mess with sweet gum and again I won’t chase it. It’s ash sucks too, stacking is an issue because of the way it splits but it had my stove at 500° all day Saturday.

Man I absolutely love this stove and burning ash, oak and black locust. This is 13 hours after i filled it last night. Woke up this morning and this is the amount of coals that were left that I pulled to the front of the stove. The house temperature is climbing again just from this.

d7f6f2b2e5adeba0c54904e840c289b0.jpg

Got two more truckloads of oak and a little bit of cherry last weekend but forgot to get pictures. Had Lots of fun running the newly ported Smurf 7901 (thanks Kevin) and she did very well! Im impressed. I can see why Brett like the 79## saws so much. This is the first makita iv really ran a few tanks through. The ergonomics are a bit different but nothing goofy.

Think i have enough wood for 4 years now (including this winters stacks) and a LOT of splitting to do. I may consider selling some oak to switch out for some really nice dead ash in my woods.....just because i dont want to stop cutting wood[emoji1787].

Only pictures i have of it right now.
69992c2515cc36b65dee818b7f617b81.jpg

4622dbb48ba4cabe94e9c6008751469c.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Man I absolutely love this stove and burning ash, oak and black locust. This is 13 hours after i filled it last night. Woke up this morning and this is the amount of coals that were left that I pulled to the front of the stove. The house temperature is climbing again just from this.

d7f6f2b2e5adeba0c54904e840c289b0.jpg

Got two more truckloads of oak and a little bit of cherry last weekend but forgot to get pictures. Had Lots of fun running the newly ported Smurf 7901 (thanks Kevin) and she did very well! Im impressed. I can see why Brett like the 79## saws so much. This is the first makita iv really ran a few tanks through. The ergonomics are a bit different but nothing goofy.

Think i have enough wood for 4 years now (including this winters stacks) and a LOT of splitting to do. I may consider selling some oak to switch out for some really nice dead ash in my woods.....just because i dont want to stop cutting wood[emoji1787].

Only pictures i have of it right now.
69992c2515cc36b65dee818b7f617b81.jpg

4622dbb48ba4cabe94e9c6008751469c.jpg

What stove? I wish my firebox was big enough for a 13 hour burn!

I pack the stove full though and she can still damper down with no concerns. Bigger pcs are safer. If i packed it full of 2x4 sized pc’s it would get sketchy

Congrats on the buck man.
You taking that corn back since you got one :lol: .
Sure are getting some good use out of that trailer already.
Thanks! Oh yeah, I'm using the snot out of that thing.

The Allis Chalmers WD45 is between 1953 and a 1957 > I will look up the ser.# and narrow down the date. It has a rebuilt motor and what ever else nice and tight no slippage of clutch or gears. My nephew has a few tractors and did not use this and God Bless Him he gave it to me. The only thing wrong is the Hydraulics on 3 point do not work. Looking into that but not needed to use tractor for my tote tractor.
John
A beauty for sure. Very cool.

That’s great! Nice buck! Good job.
Thanks!!

Nice!! Good PT, nice saws ; )

Couple of flying squirrels in a tree I cut last week View attachment 871218
Awesome photo.

Finally got the monkey off my back.....this big ole boy didn't run 5 yards.....I let him lay over night.....thats why he looks so stiff...
LOL, looks like that'll be a little tough when you to eat him...

PE summit

It would not be 13 hours if i was not burning such great hardwoods. “Softer” woods like maple i can only get like 10 hours out of it.

Wow, that's amazing.

I can get 8-10 hours if I stack it just right with some "over nigters" as we call them (big ole chunks). But, I have to be careful otherwise it takes off. I can damper it down, but this ash is so dry it takes off right now. I need to get some oak cured.

I used my AR in .450 Bushmaster. It went through both front legs, his heart and a lung. He leapt after the shot hit him, and once he landed he dropped and flopped for a minute. He was out fast, blend out inside, he was full of blood.

I can post more pics if y'all want, just wasn't sure how much gore y'all wanted to see, LOL.

Sounds similar to my MZ, except I only get one shot and can't see a darn thing after I shoot! It is a 50 cal CVA Accura, fires a 250 gr 45 cal saboted bullet. With two Triple Seven Magnum pellets it exits the muzzle about 2,000 FPS. Seems to work real well, and you only need one shot!

Back