Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got paid to cut a few storm damaged trees and take what I wanted for wood. Keeping Adam busy filling the carport that I got for the price of removing it. Made a desk for his full virtual classroom. The pin oak is from a tree I milled a few years ago. White pine legs were milled from a tree I took out of the yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_113017619_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201128_113017619_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201127_194358667.jpg
    IMG_20201127_194358667.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Got paid to cut a few storm damaged trees and take what I wanted for wood. Keeping Adam busy filling the carport that I got for the price of removing it. Made a desk for his full virtual classroom. The pin oak is from a tree I milled a few years ago. White pine legs were milled from a tree I took out of the yard.

Nice job!

The new fords sure looks nicer than the new chevys made today anymore everything looks like a toyota or honda.

My buddy got a new Chevy 2500 and it's a sharp truck, and I'm a diehard Ford man.

That said, I wouldn't buy a new one from either. Emissions and Aluminum body panels have ruined today's trucks.

I'll stick with clean examples made prior to 1998. Edit: the only exception would be an Excursion, love those!!

No way?!!!! Awe man, what a loss. So sorry that happened.

I will get one at some point.
Driving home from somewhere, listening to some mellow tunes, fell asleep. When I came to, I was down in the passenger side foot well.
Bent the front axle, cracked the engine block. Tree was fine though ;)

Oh yeah, his is a beauty.

I wish mine was a diesel, but at least it's not rusty :)
I'm a diesel guy at heart, but the ole 460 pulls just fine. 191k on the clock, original engine, second transmission. When she blows up, it will be a hard decision if it gets the 460 rebuilt, or a cummins swap. The truck isnt going anywhere as far as I'm concerned. Shes a little rusty but not bad for living in eastern Pa. Have another cab corner to do, and the back corner on the bed rotted out for some reason. Just need time to do it.
The new fords sure looks nicer than the new chevys made today anymore everything looks like a toyota or honda.
I gotta agree, my bil works for a chevy dealer, dont care for how the trucks look myself, and I'd never buy one newer then a 16. Hes constantly telling me horror stories of junk engines, bad transmissions, and all they know to do is throw parts at the stuff till the figure out what's actually wrong. Dont know if its just his dealership or how the warranty goes. It's scary really.
My buddy got a new Chevy 2500 and it's a sharp truck, and I'm a diehard Ford man.

That said, I wouldn't buy a new one from either. Emissions and Aluminum body panels have ruined today's trucks.

I'll stick with clean examples made prior to 1998. Edit: the only exception would be an Excursion, love those!!
Couldt come up with an excursion but I have a half way decent 2000 expedition. Cant say I'd do without a full sized suv, I'd only ditch it if i found a sharp expedition.

I've got one of my "Frankenstein" MS460s back on my bench. Seems it ate a decomp valve, but luckily not while it was running.

This is a saw that would not be running w/o AM parts. The case is OEM, the piston is used OEM stolen from another 460 that did not need it any more. The tank handle and recoil are AM, and the jug is a slightly ported (just bevels and some intake lowering) HL Supply "Door Buster" jug that they used to sell for $20!.

I thought I would get lucky and just pull the muffler, lower the piston, and pour the decomp (and one little bearing) out the exhaust (the other two bearings are still in the decomp). Seemed to work, but the saw would not roll over! A flashlight inspection revealed a "dent" in the squish band preventing the piston from passing. The owner must have pulled the cord with the decomp button down there. Other than the "dent", I think the piston and jug look good.

The owner has several wooded acres, heats by wood, and loves the saw. Those silly cheap jugs had pretty good porting, and she does run pretty well (better than most stock 460s). With the BGD, I'll have to glue the jug back down.

I'll have to fix that squish band and put this saw back together. Have 6 other saws waiting to go on the bench, but luckily most are just minor problems - one needs new AV rubber (on order), one needs a brake flag, one needs a bar stud, one needs the control switch cleaned (will not shut off), one does not run, and one runs poorly.

I'll try to get some of the simple ones done here and there, but I told the owners I'm very busy right now and it will be a while on some of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201202_002940253.jpg
    IMG_20201202_002940253.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201202_003005425.jpg
    IMG_20201202_003005425.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
I've got one of my "Frankenstein" MS460s back on my bench. Seems it ate a decomp valve, but luckily not while it was running.

This is a saw that would not be running w/o AM parts. The case is OEM, the piston is used OEM stolen from another 460 that did not need it any more. The tank handle and recoil are AM, and the jug is a slightly ported (just bevels and some intake lowering) HL Supply "Door Buster" jug that they used to sell for $20!.

I thought I would get lucky and just pull the muffler, lower the piston, and pour the decomp (and one little bearing) out the exhaust (the other two bearings are still in the decomp). Seemed to work, but the saw would not roll over! A flashlight inspection revealed a "dent" in the squish band preventing the piston from passing. The owner must have pulled the cord with the decomp button down there. Other than the "dent", I think the piston and jug look good.

The owner has several wooded acres, heats by wood, and loves the saw. Those silly cheap jugs had pretty good porting, and she does run pretty well (better than most stock 460s). With the BGD, I'll have to glue the jug back down.

I'll have to fix that squish band and put this saw back together. Have 6 other saws waiting to go on the bench, but luckily most are just minor problems - one needs new AV rubber (on order), one needs a brake flag, one needs a bar stud, one needs the control switch cleaned (will not shut off), one does not run, and one runs poorly.

I'll try to get some of the simple ones done here and there, but I told the owners I'm very busy right now and it will be a while on some of them.
That's an interesting one Mike.
Did it have a base gasket when this happened, seems like it would be a bit tight if you remove it seeing that damage, as it doesn't look like it's very high in my picture. I guess depending on how much you take out of the band to clean it up it wouldn't be a problem. Many of this aftermarket jugs had huge squish, I had a 460 that was over .060 lol.
I scrounged this rototiller up two nights ago, hope to make some cash tilling gardens, I think there will be a lot more people wanting/needing gardens in the spring.
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 12.58.30 AM.png

I built this saw w/o a base gasket, and even sanded the base of the jug a bit.

My final #s were squish .0225, Ex 103.5, Tr 124, Intake (I lowered it) 80. I also advanced the timing my cutting .020 off the key (about 6*).
You have plenty of room then, maybe even a bit more sanding. Seems that one did start off having good numbers. Not sure why some of the others were so far off, how hard is it to manufacture a copy with the same numbers as the factory :rare2:.

That's an interesting one Mike.
Did it have a base gasket when this happened, seems like it would be a bit tight if you remove it seeing that damage, as it doesn't look like it's very high in my picture. I guess depending on how much you take out of the band to clean it up it wouldn't be a problem. Many of this aftermarket jugs had huge squish, I had a 460 that was over .060 lol.
I scrounged this rototiller up two nights ago, hope to make some cash tilling gardens, I think there will be a lot more people wanting/needing gardens in the spring.
View attachment 871466

Noice!! Looks like the same one my buddy has on his B2920.

Latest posts

Back