Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ewww. I need the ground to freeze here, it's stupid muddy. It was partially frozen yestersay, which means the top layer of frozen soil would slip off the wet mud underneath, making it real fun to move around. I'm hoping I don't rut the field too bad when I go to put out the next round bale.

Speak of, any cattle operators here? I'm having a really hard time getting two open cows bred. They are good cows who have had no issues calving, but they're both been open for 2 years or more and now I can't get them to take. Might have to get a bull and see if he'd can get'er done??
Yeah, I get that. The good thing is I been working hard to keep things done while the weather has been as good as it gets for this time of the yr for here. I still have more to do, which is par for the course.

I'm gonna leave the jokes alone about the cattle/operators/bull/gettingrdun, kinda like I leftest the cat jokes alone when Steve had the picture his.
Dang it's hard though!
Hope you get it figured out :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: :laughing:.

You wouldn't think we burn much wood in NE Florida, but every year or two we'll get a colder than normal winter that makes it nice to have a fire..We have a fireplace, but I burn most of the wood in my firepit..Lots of trees where we are, particularly oak..someone is always cutting a tree down or inevitably one will fall in a storm..Christmas eve we had a huge live oak go down across the main street in our neighborhood. I went out with another guy and cut it up..Got enough wood for my purposes for two or three years from that one tree..Most of the wood I get is from cruising around and looking for piles right before yard pick up day..Lot's of folks also post up on craiglist with free wood, so I usually keep an eye on that as well..One thing I've learned from my scrounging is always wear gloves and cover your arms..last batch I picked up must have had poison ivy in it..that wasn't fun..
That’s me exactly here in Texas and you can wear gloves and still end up in with it in your eye

I had an old Kawasaki "Air craft." It was kick start too, and I kept it in our unfinished basement, in Dad's workshop. Had some friends over and wanted to ride through the farm. Rolled it out and kicked and kicked Woulldn't start. My 6'6" 300 hundred pund friend got on it and started kicking and then the kick start wouldn't return to the up position. He stripped the shaft. Then we started looking closer. It was dripping gas out the carb and Dad stuffed a shop rag in the carb. From then on I had to roll it down a hill to jump start.
The Sportster I had was awful when flooded. If it fired once you better not choke it anymore.
I was about 225 back then and I remember a few times it would back fire and kick me completely off the bike. It's a wonder I don't have knee problems now.

You wouldn't think we burn much wood in NE Florida, but every year or two we'll get a colder than normal winter that makes it nice to have a fire..We have a fireplace, but I burn most of the wood in my firepit..Lots of trees where we are, particularly oak..someone is always cutting a tree down or inevitably one will fall in a storm..Christmas eve we had a huge live oak go down across the main street in our neighborhood. I went out with another guy and cut it up..Got enough wood for my purposes for two or three years from that one tree..Most of the wood I get is from cruising around and looking for piles right before yard pick up day..Lot's of folks also post up on craiglist with free wood, so I usually keep an eye on that as well..One thing I've learned from my scrounging is always wear gloves and cover your arms..last batch I picked up must have had poison ivy in it..that wasn't fun..
Where in N Fl are you? I have lived in/near Destin a couple of times.

Ewww. I need the ground to freeze here, it's stupid muddy. It was partially frozen yestersay, which means the top layer of frozen soil would slip off the wet mud underneath, making it real fun to move around. I'm hoping I don't rut the field too bad when I go to put out the next round bale.

Speak of, any cattle operators here? I'm having a really hard time getting two open cows bred. They are good cows who have had no issues calving, but they're both been open for 2 years or more and now I can't get them to take. Might have to get a bull and see if he'd can get'er done??
My brother in law manages our Vets cattle/horse farm. The girl that handled the horses was in a bad car accident 2 years ago and isn't back to work yet. She crushed one leg so bad only the skin was holding it on, crushed that hip, ripped her intestines off of her stomach. The old guy that handled the cattle got tired of messing with them. I think he was 80 and only had one arm. They have been running half wild for 2 years. She has about 100 Long Horn, and Erin is half afraid of getting killed trying to round them up by himself. He's all out trying to keep them fed and watered and patching the fences. He's had to pull a couple calves out that wanted to stay in. I think Doc is about 86 and still works in the clinic. Erin's problem is the bulls are getting it done, with no end in sight. The other thing hurting him is, the Dept of Agr, is making them drag the field with a chain link drag to break up all the cow poop. They have to drag the whole farm once a month. He has to put in one full day a week just draggin poop.

My brother in law manages our Vets cattle/horse farm. The girl that handled the horses was in a bad car accident 2 years ago and isn't back to work yet. She crushed one leg so bad only the skin was holding it on, crushed that hip, ripped her intestines off of her stomach. The old guy that handled the cattle got tired of messing with them. I think he was 80 and only had one arm. They have been running half wild for 2 years. She has about 100 Long Horn, and Erin is half afraid of getting killed trying to round them up by himself. He's all out trying to keep them fed and watered and patching the fences. He's had to pull a couple calves out that wanted to stay in. I think Doc is about 86 and still works in the clinic. Erin's problem is the bulls are getting it done, with no end in sight. The other thing hurting him is, the Dept of Agr, is making them drag the field with a chain link drag to break up all the cow poop. They have to drag the whole farm once a month. He has to put in one full day a week just draggin poop.
Almost every day I read a post here in Aboristsite and I think, that's a story I've never heard before. Your tale is full of pain and heartbreak. Hope things get sorted out and everyone involved has a better year this year than the past (couple). I appreciate your relaying this story, even if it is a sad tale indeed. Thanks!

Almost every day I read a post here in Aboristsite and I think, that's a story I've never heard before. Your tale is full of pain and heartbreak. Hope things get sorted out and everyone involved has a better year this year than the past (couple). I appreciate your relaying this story, even if it is a sad tale indeed. Thanks!
Thanks, Jere. The girl in the accident is mobile now. Haven't seen her since the accident. She would give Daisy Mae a run for her money in a pair of short shorts. I heard she lost so much weight she looks like a skeleton, but she is doing well. The old one arm guy tended those cows for 20 or so years, just his time to kick back a little. To me, it just seems like farmers have a hard life. Sun up till sundown, around big heavy animals and big heavy machines. Seen lots of one armed and handed farmers.

Nice day here after a day of wild wind. Gusts up to 70mph with steady around 50. Minor breeze now. 43 degrees (JAN 14!!!) normal would be about 32.

Looked at the stash on the proch 1.75 cord. Time to replenish some befor it gets too low. One year I waited too long and had to hand shovel a 75' path to the woodshed through a foot of snow. Moved 7 wagon loads mix black locust, oak, willow, maple. Then decided to move at least one trailer load of willow from the rick of maple that is blocking access to around 8 cord of unsplit black locust rounds. I work at that job every day when weather permits. The maple is probably Red not sugar.

Super clean! I’d love to find one like that! I would really like a bullnose ford though as my pops had an 86.
Shame didnt know that this past summer. My cousin just sold off his 87 f150. Was surprisingly nice for its age. 300 six 5 speed 4x4. He got a tidy sum for it. I never thought it would sell, just a std cab long bed with an aluminum cap.

Latest posts

Back