Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real nice. I’ve been considering a Square body for a summer driver. Was looking at Fox body mustangs and people want nutzo prices for them now.
Thanks . Wasnt looking but this fell in my lap. Not sure what I'll do with a 4x4 truck wont see snow . Maybe just some dunes driving .
My son sold his 89 was a low milage car with a worked 302 . Buying a house.
Definitely
Super clean! I’d love to find one like that! I would really like a bullnose ford though as my pops had an 86.
They are out there . Not a Ford man myself
Not a Chebby/GMC guy, but that's a nice clean truck. I think the 80s models are my favorites from them, like the of old scottsdale's.
Like all the years except the 88 and newer chevys

Shame didnt know that this past summer. My cousin just sold off his 87 f150. Was surprisingly nice for its age. 300 six 5 speed 4x4. He got a tidy sum for it. I never thought it would sell, just a std cab long bed with an aluminum cap.

Dang! I’ve seen a few that have been restored but I have zero interest in paying 30k for a 30 some year old truck. I just don’t get it and I don’t like them that much lol. I did find a clean 85 10 mins from me a few weeks ago for $4000. It was 2wd though and that’s a hard no.

I like the sq body Chevy trucks, 1987 being my favorite. The early sq bodies had a big problem with rust. I dont think to much of the 88 to mid 90 body changes, but 95s up are a little better. then they had to put that snowplow of a bumper on the trucks and I lost interest again. my first car was a 1959 Chevy apache, short well base, stepside. 235 six and bulldog 3 speed. Had a tire carrier on the left rear fender. Had 49k miles on it when I got it. New black paint job and replaced the wooden bed, added a set of chrome reverse wheels with baby moon hubcaps and motor swap to a 327/300hp. Man I thought I was cool. Out ran a ford Fairlane with 427 cobra jet with that truck. Wasnt a fair race. Guy showed up with the ford wanting to race my buddies 66 chevelle. We had the cam out of the Chevelle so I offered to race him in my truck. Of course I was being beligerent and trash talking, so we lined them up in front of the shop. Now what the ford driver didnt know was we had been working/playing all night and had been putting used oil on the right lane of the road to listen to the big trucks break traction as they pulled the top of the hill. I backed out into the left lane and the ford lined up in the right. When the flag was dropped, the ford broke traction, swapped lanes a few times, almost in the ditch. My truck barked the tires and off I went. The ford guy was so embarressed he didnt even stop. It was years before I told him the truth about the oiled road.

1610726223728.png
1610726249930.png
1610726272952.png

These are from my new area, forgot that I hadn't loaded these here, only on the other site. These last two I finished up last month. The big one is hollow for about 8', then suddenly solid the rest of the trunk. This property is south facing so I will be doing more here over the winter. Up near the house it's the other way, sun doesn't hit it most of the winter. I have a decent pile of logs waiting for me at this location.

Shea

Nice day here after a day of wild wind. Gusts up to 70mph with steady around 50. Minor breeze now. 43 degrees (JAN 14!!!) normal would be about 32.

Looked at the stash on the proch 1.75 cord. Time to replenish some befor it gets too low. One year I waited too long and had to hand shovel a 75' path to the woodshed through a foot of snow. Moved 7 wagon loads mix black locust, oak, willow, maple. Then decided to move at least one trailer load of willow from the rick of maple that is blocking access to around 8 cord of unsplit black locust rounds. I work at that job every day when weather permits. The maple is probably Red not sugar.

Well that didn't make much sense. Move one trailer full of MAPLE...

View attachment 882450
View attachment 882451
View attachment 882452

These are from my new area, forgot that I hadn't loaded these here, only on the other site. These last two I finished up last month. The big one is hollow for about 8', then suddenly solid the rest of the trunk. This property is south facing so I will be doing more here over the winter. Up near the house it's the other way, sun doesn't hit it most of the winter. I have a decent pile of logs waiting for me at this location.

Shea

That qualifies for the "you suck" award. I've been wooding since 1978. Never have I lucked into stuff like that right on teh road!!!

That qualifies for the "you suck" award. I've been wooding since 1978. Never have I lucked into stuff like that right on teh road!!!
You'll hate this then. Got a call from an old friend. Come and get it. Took the pics from my truck on her lane.20210115_135608.jpg20210115_135642.jpg

A 427 Fairlane s a bad A$$ car, what year was it?

However, I think the "Cobra Jet" referred to the 428s.

That said, the 427 Ford motor were better engines. They were internally balanced (instead of external), most of them had the piston pins dead on center (428s and other passenger cars had them offset to let them idle smoother), and most 427s had steel cranks. A steel crank is stronger, but will only survive if it is properly balanced, nodular iron absorbs vibrations better.

Also, all but just a few 427 Ford motors were side oiler blocks (all the oil went to the bearings, you could not run hydraulic lifters in them), and most of them had cross bolted mains (the 428 never did). The 428 was smaller bore/longer stroke.

Some of the very early 427s did not have these features, and the ones made for the Couger (in 67 or 68) were drilled for hydraulic lifters.

Ford only made street versions of the 427 (and Boss 429) so they could run them at NASCAR. They never did use any 428s there.

Our snow melted just before Christmas, and even though it has been cold enough most of the time, when there is precipitation it has been rain!

I remember when I was a kid, we would get snow in Nov or Dec, and the ground would stay white till near the end of March.

Has not been like that for decades!

We always built snow forts, snow tunnels and snow men ... it is different now.

You will notice that 63 has the "Thunderbird" 427 insignia on it.

Basically, the FE Ford motors were known as "Thunderbird" motors after they started putting the 352 in the 58 Bird. (It replaced the Y block engines).

The Cobra Jet designation did not come along until late 1968 when Ford stuffed a few of them in the 68 Mustangs and surprised everyone by winning the NHRA Winternationals with it that year. Tasca Ford basically developed the engine. Prior 428s ran 390 heads, which were inadequate. Tasca wanted to put 427 Medium Riser heads on it, but the valves were too large for the bore, so they combined medium riser ports with low riser valves and combustion chambers and the 427 Cobra Jet head was born.

Since my 427 block was a "low riser" (different pistons than medium or hi riser) I ran 428 CJ heads on my engine. Was perfect for the street.

Our snow melted just before Christmas, and even though it has been cold enough most of the time, when there is precipitation it has been rain!

I remember when I was a kid, we would get snow in Nov or Dec, and the ground would stay white till near the end of March.

Has not been like that for decades!

We always built snow forts, snow tunnels and snow men ... it is different now.
2nd week of January and we hardly have snow here in Ontario. Been above freezing all week. Mild winters are part of the reason I sold my snowmobile last week. The other part is covid is keeping the snowbirds home instead of wintering in Florida. They are buying everything. Snowmobiles, ATVs, campers... Dealers are empty and used prices are going up. I got 1200 more for my sled than I payed in 2015!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

This has been a mild winter both temp wise and also snow accumulation. We’ve had highs above freezing and overnight lows at/slightly below freezing several times over the past two weeks. We normally get a day or two “January thaw” but nothing like this. I’ll take it though!
Kinda sucks in a way, it's so darn muddy it hard not to tear the yard up, let alone get out in the woods and start tree work. Muddy mucky mess. I dont mind the no snow bit, but I'd like a decent freeze to get the ground solid.

Back