Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a mild winter both temp wise and also snow accumulation. We’ve had highs above freezing and overnight lows at/slightly below freezing several times over the past two weeks. We normally get a day or two “January thaw” but nothing like this. I’ll take it though!
It's been warmer here this week, but not totally abnormal, what has been abnormal is the lack of precipitation.
We shot around 500rnds yesterday and had a good time, it was snowing the whole time about 40min north of our house, but here it was more of a mix.
The snow was helpful in gauging the windage, if it was blowing at a 45 then you needed 4-5', if it was less then 2-4'.
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.12.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.13.18 AM.png

Spent some time at the firewood gym this morning. Wood in racks under the deck. Carry armloads around about 30' and up 7 steps. Good workout for a fella who eats too much! This is a facecord or a third of a cord. Ought to last a month at the current temperature of right around the freezing point, or 2 weeks at -20°C.
01e6d74338c5394e2dfa14e516870f92.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I've been helping one of my cricket mates with half a dozen cypress stumps. He'd lopped them to about 5-8 ft high but then got injured and can't finish them. The bases are up to 30" and there's a few cubes of wood in them, I have two down close to the ground and four with one round left. I'm thinking about noodling a fair bit of it down to <1 inch kindling size and the kids can spread the noodles to dry and stack the kindling to dry and they can try to sell it bagged/bundled at the start of winter. Cowlass is very cute and I think a little farcebook sales/demonstration video by her will work well.

I used cypress noodles as fire starter last winter and they were great and the stump wood should be better again. Worst case scenario, I'll have spent an extra $15 on fuel/oil and Cowgirl will have a lot of mulch (or I'll have enough noodles to light fires for the rest of my life).

16th Jan1.jpg

This has been a mild winter both temp wise and also snow accumulation. We’ve had highs above freezing and overnight lows at/slightly below freezing several times over the past two weeks. We normally get a day or two “January thaw” but nothing like this. I’ll take it though!
Same here. Normally back when we would have a foot or more of snow and huge drifts all winter. This year we have had only 2 real snows and both falls did last a week. Ground isn't even frozen.

I can't believe there's no visible rust. My 2008 is starting to show signs and I had to have the frame welded at a cross member because of rust.
Had to use my bil 08 Silverado as my dodge is down . Front ujoints went both my 07 and his 08 are rusting. This truck was never used in winter even the underside is super clean

Philbert should be impressed with your thriftiness on salvaging that chain.
He better, I learned it all from him :p.
I don't normally file them past the witness marks, I was just messing around. I think I have one or two extra 24" chains laying around I'll have to put one on I guess.

There are plenty of ways to get the kids to split it down to kindling safely and newspaper works to get it lit, if you want the kids to do a bit more work that is.

The kids don't have the pipes to split this. In any case, it's just an experiment to see if they can sell a few bags, and believe me, I ain't noodling the whole lot!

I stopped using newspaper this year because this was better for getting the fire going and it doesn't cover over your remaining charcoal in the stove with ash. I'm certain some people in town will buy some because they know the kids, the indicator will be if they come back for more. We spread them out in the sun and turned them over after a couple of hours and they're pretty dry now.

17th Jan 1.jpg

The local hardware was giving away these big cement bags, they're rated for 1000kg.

17th Jan 5.jpg

Back