Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd week of January and we hardly have snow here in Ontario. Been above freezing all week. Mild winters are part of the reason I sold my snowmobile last week. The other part is covid is keeping the snowbirds home instead of wintering in Florida. They are buying everything. Snowmobiles, ATVs, campers... Dealers are empty and used prices are going up. I got 1200 more for my sled than I payed in 2015!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
My buddy just bought two sleds and a enclosed trailer for $2100. I'm not into them, so I don't know one from another. Here in MD, where I live, we haven't gotten any snow to mention yet. My buddy has a vacation cabin two hours up the road and they got ten inches a couple weeks ago, and were calling for more any minute. He's dying to get the one sled out. He says it a 100 MPH sled. He also has 7, 4 wheelers, and saw a Kawasaki for sale and told me. He was broke from the sleds. Add said just bought new one, want this one gone fast, first $500 OBO. I called and it was gone already, must have been a good one.

Put a Squirrel Buster feeder and a suit block in the dog kennel so it's close to the window, and all of the weed seeds in wild bird seed doesn't get in the gardens. The Squirrel Buster is two plastic cylinders. If a Squirrel jumps on the perch, he's heavy enough he pulls the outer cylinder down and shuts the food off. We had two squirrel's the first couple days, and they gave up, and haven't been back. yesterday I peeked out the window, from my desk, and a big old Pileated Woodpecker was sitting on the fence. He flew over to my Blue Bird house, then hopped on the suit block. I got some good video of hom, but I don't know how to get it from ,y cell to "Youtube", to here. Here's a regular pic till the kids get back from skiing, to walk me through the process again. Yesterday there were two of them, today at 7, one showed up. After it left I took the screens off the window, so the next pics will be better.
7modIbR.jpg

99OrVXT.jpg

Put a Squirrel Buster feeder and a suit block in the dog kennel so it's close to the window, and all of the weed seeds in wild bird seed doesn't get in the gardens. The Squirrel Buster is two plastic cylinders. If a Squirrel jumps on the perch, he's heavy enough he pulls the outer cylinder down and shuts the food off. We had two squirrel's the first couple days, and they gave up, and haven't been back. yesterday I peeked out the window, from my desk, and a big old Pileated Woodpecker was sitting on the fence. He flew over to my Blue Bird house, then hopped on the suit block. I got some good video of hom, but I don't know how to get it from ,y cell to "Youtube", to here. Here's a regular pic till the kids get back from skiing, to walk me through the process again. Yesterday there were two of them, today at 7, one showed up. After it left I took the screens off the window, so the next pics will be better.
7modIbR.jpg

99OrVXT.jpg
Nice male pileated! We only get those in the spring and fall.

Non tree/bird people think they kill trees. I remind them that woodpeckers only uncover problems that already exist.

My buddy just bought two sleds and a enclosed trailer for $2100. I'm not into them, so I don't know one from another. Here in MD, where I live, we haven't gotten any snow to mention yet. My buddy has a vacation cabin two hours up the road and they got ten inches a couple weeks ago, and were calling for more any minute. He's dying to get the one sled out. He says it a 100 MPH sled. He also has 7, 4 wheelers, and saw a Kawasaki for sale and told me. He was broke from the sleds. Add said just bought new one, want this one gone fast, first $500 OBO. I called and it was gone already, must have been a good one.
That’s a steal. An enclosed trailer here would be more than that.

Nice male pileated! We only get those in the spring and fall.

Non tree/bird people think they kill trees. I remind them that woodpeckers only uncover problems that already exist.
I had a 14"-16" Red Oak that the dozer hit when they built the house. Over 30 years, the cavity from the damage, had grown to where I was going to take the tree down. Then a big Pileated moved in and started playing the drums on it. It was pecking holes 2-3 feet above the old damage. The tree was full of black carpenter ants. So, I decided to do some research on Pileated's. One article I read said their number one food was black ants. It was making the holes to entice the ants to move in, it never went down to the rotted out part in the stump, at ground level.

I don't normally file them past the witness marks, I was just messing around.

Now, flip it over, and start sharpening the other side!

I stopped using newspaper this year because this was better for getting the fire going and it doesn't cover over your remaining charcoal in the stove with ash.

We call them ‘noodles’ on these sites, but I think that one of the ‘proper’ names it goes by is ‘excelsior’. Promoting it as ‘Excelsior Fire Starter’ might promote sales.

The local hardware was giving away these big cement bags, they're rated for 1000kg.
Nice bags! A lot of guys (those with forks and tractors) would use those for firewood storage and transport.

Philbert

Tried to scrounge up some fish today. Skunked again. My friend was fishing in another spot and only saw one. Pike do hit the doldrums in mid winter and should start getting hungry around mid February again.

My son dropped his cell phone down the hole, amazingly i was able to scoop it off the bottom with a landing net. Lucky.

My son dropped his cell phone down the hole, amazingly i was able to scoop it off the bottom with a landing net.
Had some friends ice fishing a year or so ago, at a resort, so the holes were pre-drilled, and the shelters provided.

They looked down the hole with a camera, and saw someone’s wallet and sunglasses on the bottom.

They did not catch any fish, but had more fun retrieving the wallet and sunglasses, and contacting the guy to return it.

Philbert

Had some friends ice fishing a year or so ago, at a resort, so the holes were pre-drill, and the shelters provided.

They looked down the hole with a camera, and saw someone’s wallet and sunglasses on the bottom.

They did not catch any fish, but had more fun retrieving the wallet and sunglasses, and contacting the guy to return it.

Philbert
The last overnighter I rented had a bag of dog chow dumped down a hole! Our camera found it. Good lordy. Not good. We left early.

Latest posts

Back