Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When pulling my firewood trailer behind my 1 ton International I need a drop hitch, well last time doing that I rolled back and the trailer hit a low stump (One I thought it would clear). The 2“ tube that goes into the receiver hitch broke, after a little more use. So I got a new 16” drop hitch and support bars, and modified the hitch to accept the support bars. Then drilled the frame and installed the other end.

E6D70035-9BE5-4F44-957A-817214126F3A.jpeg
55865AF3-EA7F-483F-BF67-28A139081E49.jpeg
91474FB8-C17D-49D5-9DA5-B47677BC29D9.jpeg
DF6135D8-2EBB-4F4A-8216-62FD5552C31A.jpeg
7F9E1279-7E77-4164-97E6-9B8A04DF6E6E.jpeg

Welp, the bug bit me again....
Ive been burning wood since November in my new stove. Loves this thing, sips wood.
Guy that works for me bought his first house, had a wood stove, he was given a free homemade splitter by another of my guys.
After some tinkering we got it running
View attachment IMG_1487.MOV

We’ve been trying to scrounge up some older snowmobiles this winter....I have one but the secondary clutch is shot and it’s rusted on to the jack shaft so I need to disassemble a lot of stuff to pull the jack shaft out.

We found one, a real minty 91 EXT El Tigre on Sunday. Have been on a few wild goose chases looking at others and a few that sold before I got to them. The search continues. Luckily we don’t have a lot of snow (yet) so the wheelers are still effective in all but drifted areas.

I did a lot of ballistic testing before I selected a bullet to hunt with.

I will just say that if you do the testing, you will learn a lot you never knew before.

Bundled, soaked newspaper works very well for this.

Why is it important? Some bullets will come apart and IMO should not be used for big game hunting, some will mushroom off to the side and will plane wildly in the test medium, heavier bullets in the same caliber will only penetrate more deeply if they are of stronger construction. Penetration depth will depend on the energy of the bullet, and how fast it does or does not open. Smaller bore guns of the same power will penetrate deeper than larger bore. A 270 Win, 30-06 and 348 Win all have about the same muzzle energy. Contrary to popular belief, the 270 will penetrate the deepest, and the 348 the least. That said, the 348 makes a much larger wound and will kill much faster.

Bullets that develop mushroom petals (instead of a full mushroom) will penetrate far deeper than full mushroom bullets.

This information helps you to select bullets that consistently produce clean kills and is (IMO) very important.

I did a lot of ballistic testing before I selected a bullet to hunt with.

I will just say that if you do the testing, you will learn a lot you never knew before.

Bundled, soaked newspaper works very well for this.

Why is it important? Some bullets will come apart and IMO should not be used for big game hunting, some will mushroom off to the side and will plane wildly in the test medium, heavier bullets in the same caliber will only penetrate more deeply if the are of stronger construction. Penetration depth will depend on the energy of the bullet, and how fast it does or does not open. Smaller bore guns of the same power will penetrate deeper than larger bore. A 270 Win, 30-06 and 348 Win all have about the same muzzle energy. Contrary to popular belief, the 270 will penetrate the deepest, and the 348 the least. That said, the 348 makes a much larger would and will kill much faster.

Bullets that develop mushroom petals (instead of a full mushroom) will penetrate far deeper than full mushroom bullets.

This information helps you to select bullets that consistently produce clean kills and is (IMO) very important.
Last year my wife bought me a 300wm for my birthday. Sure to the current climate, I was stuck buying 2 boxes of federal fusion 180gr for it. I was very surprised to see how well the bullet stayed together, and that it almost came out the other side of the deer I shot with it this year. It's done so well, thus far I'm considering loading it similar to fusion loads.

Last year my wife bought me a 300wm for my birthday. Sure to the current climate, I was stuck buying 2 boxes of federal fusion 180gr for it. I was very surprised to see how well the bullet stayed together, and that it almost came out the other side of the deer I shot with it this year. It's done so well, thus far I'm considering loading it similar to fusion loads.
That caliber is one of few I’ve seen up here that’s still available. Do you need more?

I was in the sportsman's warehouse in Coon Rapids, Mn the other day and they had all kinds of ammo. Was pretty happy to snag what I was unable to find at other places. Maybe I caught them right after a restock supply came in but I was happy non the less. Another great place that always has stock is Shooting Sports in Little Falls. I don't get by there much but they always have ammo and the folks there are superb.

That caliber is one of few I’ve seen up here that’s still available. Do you need more?
No, I have bullets and should have powder to load for it. I likely wont shoot it much as I have much more ammo for my 7mag and 338mag, the 300mag just filled that parent case gap I had.

What was their reasoning? Not real old or heavy miles
They are a bunch of........

uncle Mike’s blessed, I have two former Ford techs that work for me. One has forgotten more than I have learned and the other guy (very very smart himself) happens to have the tool needed to swap actuators without pulling the whole timing cover.

The job is manageable without the tool, but having the tool gets it done in two hours instead of 12

Back