Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many are your trying to have? Family use, or different sleds for work and play?

Philbert
Ideally I’d like to have 4 or 5. I already had one that is non operational ATM. That one needs about 3-5 hours of labor and a 25 dollar part.

Plus the one last weekend, the one yesterday which my older son technically paid for. So if I can find two more we should be set. Then we need to start scrounging helmets!!

Im looking at one this morning and hoping to look at one more as well.

The Buffalo Bill Commemorative came out in 68, I bought mine in 69 and it was the last gun I bought that I had to bring my Mom with me (being just 17).

I love the way that 26" Octagon barrel holds offhand, very steady! Never took a deer with it, and never shot at a deer with it, but I liked how it shot.

Also, I once cronographed loads in it and a 20" barrel Mdl 94. The 26" barrel was 150 FPS faster, which is just what my old catalog said to expect, about 25 FPS / inch of barrel at those velocities. That could make a big difference if you hunt with a 30-30.

The only knock I have on the 30-30 (as a reloader) is the brass is too thin. It is just very easy to fold the neck when seating a bullet. Never had that problem with any other round I loaded.
I never had that issue but never used any brass more than a couple times.

My biggest gripe with the 30-30 is the lack of bullet choices because you need round nose or flat point because of tubular magazines.

We have been scouring the classifieds for weeks to find decent snowmobiles. Fairly priced sleds move quickly up until mid January. By mid February you can’t give a sled away. I told the boys to be patient after we missed out on several good ones. And sure enough in the last week the market has slowed up a lot.

3/4 of the sleds on the market either have a zillion miles, need work, or are beat to death. I’ve had enough basket cases to not want to wrench on sleds continuously. And with needing multiple sleds for the kids, that makes finding gently used ones even more imperative.

We have been scouring the classifieds for weeks to find decent snowmobiles. Fairly priced sleds move quickly up until mid January. By mid February you can’t give a sled away. I told the boys to be patient after we missed out on several good ones. And sure enough in the last week the market has slowed up a lot.

3/4 of the sleds on the market either have a zillion miles, need work, or are beat to death. I’ve had enough basket cases to not want to wrench on sleds continuously. And with needing multiple sleds for the kids, that makes finding gently used ones even more imperative.
We gave up on sleds years ago. Just dont get snow like we used to around here. Sure do miss it.

It always snows in SVK's area. It's crazy to watch the caravan of trailers heading north when other parts of the state have no snow. I have some family not to far from him and many times over the years the only way your getting on the lake to fish is by sled.

We gave up on sleds years ago. Just dont get snow like we used to around here. Sure do miss it.
Yeah, wheelers are much more useful. I didn’t blink spending 12k on my wheeler but would have a hard time spending more than 3 on a sled because you just can’t use them that much, even up here.

Ok ok yes nice gun. But nice picture too. The angle I mean. And the decor. The colors. You have a sharp eye sir.
Thanks, but if I took credit for it I’d be less than truthful. It was the only spot I could find to put it. The sofa it’s on was an heirloom from my mother’s side of the family, and was handed down to the eldest daughter, so my mom got it. My older sister didn’t want it, and my younger sister would just sell it the next day. My daughter doesn’t want it, but my son does, so the tradition is broken. Moms family has documentation of it being in the family in the1880’s. My family chipped in and had it reupholstered as a Christmas present for me a couple years ago. Since my son wants it, we let him pick the material. The upholstery shop that did the work specializes in 17th and 18 th century furniture. They said 1880 is close, but they think it’s a little older.

I never had that issue but never used any brass more than a couple times.

My biggest gripe with the 30-30 is the lack of bullet choices because you need round nose or flat point because of tubular magazines.
Not in a Savage 1899/99, five round box mag, lever. The only thing, from being from that generation of fire arm, they shoot the heavy blunt bullets best. My 1926 model 99F in 303 Savage will shoot clover leaves at a 100 yards with a 4X Weaver K4, and 190 grain Silver tips. But, it’s not a bean field gun, it drops 28 inches at 300 yards. A friend found a stash of Winchester 190 ST’s and I bought ten boxes at forty a box. That should last me the duration, but, if I run out I’ll just switch over to cast 190’s. I’ve got several hundred pounds of Mono Type.

Yeah, wheelers are much more useful. I didn’t blink spending 12k on my wheeler but would have a hard time spending more than 3 on a sled because you just can’t use them that much, even up here.
My buddy is at his place up in Frostburg MD now. He’s only a few miles from Whisp SkiResort. My kids were at Whisp last weekend and said it snowed every day they were there. Mike has 7 wheelers. Five for his family and two for guests. Now he has3-4 sleds, he’ll probably wind up with 7 of them. If he can use them at least have a dozen times a year he will stay interested. If he only gets to use them a couple times a year he will sell them off and upgrade his bikes.

Since you guys are talkin sleds I figured I'd post of pic of my one of three
That's what I had as a kid! Now, it's all plastic, toboggan type sleds.

I always wondered about the steel runners, which seemed more suited for ice than snow.

Philbert

In fresh snow the runners will usually do better (until it get packed down) as it keeps the sled above the snow. Also, you can steer them.

I've got two of them, one is originally mine and the other was one of my Daughter's.

The Grand kids love it when I brake them out ... we just need some snow!

Ouch on the ammo prices! When I got my Mdl 71 (348 Winchester) in the early 70s in the Western tier of NY, new ammo was in the $20+/box category.

At the time, NYS had gone mostly Shotgun only for Deer, so I scoured small hardware stores, etc. and found good amounts of it that had been on the shelf for years.

The typical line from the guy behind the counter was "I don't know what it is supposed to go for now, but it has been here so long I'll sell it to you for what is marked on the box".

I picked up a lot of it for under $10/box, often 3 or 4 boxes at a time.

Scrounged this up from my neighbor Saturday. Older non EPA stove. My mom dated the guy that started this co in high school. They made woodstoves till the EPA got involved. Several of my wood customer's Stihl use them and it's the brand I use in the shop.. They sell anywhere from 3-6 hundred dollars on CL and marketplace. This one is set up to be boiler. After my original neighbor sold another guy moved in and started using the stove with unseasoned wood. Check out the creosote on the door. He moved out and the new people have a pellet stove. Probably a $2 grand stove when new. Used ones sell for $4-500 or more. Free is gooder. :rock2: 20210125_110833.jpg20210125_110821.jpg20210125_110901.jpg

Spent some time at the firewood gym this morning. Wood in racks under the deck. Carry armloads around about 30' and up 7 steps. Good workout for a fella who eats too much! This is a facecord or a third of a cord. Ought to last a month at the current temperature of right around the freezing point, or 2 weeks at -20°C.
01e6d74338c5394e2dfa14e516870f92.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Get yourself one of these. It's easier and you can carry more per trip.
Also it will less of a mess while carrying.
I have two. One for me and one more for the wife.

Amazon.com: Outdoor 360 Firewood Carrier Bag - Waxed Canvas Tote Bag with Handles to Easily Carry Logs - Best for Carrying Wood at Home Or Camping: Home & Kitchen

Or one that has the ends. I bought my sister one.

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Wax Canvas Log Carrier Tote,Large Fire Wood Bag,Durable Firewood Holder,Fireplace Wood Stove Accessories Storage Bag for Fire Pit for Camping, BBQ Barbecue: Home Improvement

Not in a Savage 1899/99, five round box mag, lever. The only thing, from being from that generation of fire arm, they shoot the heavy blunt bullets best. My 1926 model 99F in 303 Savage will shoot clover leaves at a 100 yards with a 4X Weaver K4, and 190 grain Silver tips. But, it’s not a bean field gun, it drops 28 inches at 300 yards. A friend found a stash of Winchester 190 ST’s and I bought ten boxes at forty a box. That should last me the duration, but, if I run out I’ll just switch over to cast 190’s. I’ve got several hundred pounds of Mono Type.
Right but all ammo is sold in RN/FN only because it “could” potentially end up in a tube magazine.

Secondly most .308 caliber bullets for hand loading are built for the higher velocities of 30-06, 308 and 300 mags so will not adequately/reliably mushroom at 30-30 velocities. Which is unfortunate.

Gotta love bullet nomenclature. 303 take a different diameter than all of the rest of the 30 cal.

I had an Argentine Mauser that needed .311/.312 cal too.

In fresh snow the runners will usually do better (until it get packed down) as it keeps the sled above the snow. Also, you can steer them.

I've got two of them, one is originally mine and the other was one of my Daughter's.

The Grand kids love it when I brake them out ... we just need some snow!
Not in my experience. The runner sleds didn't like fresh snow because the runners were so skinny the sled would sink in and the sled would drag. On the hardpack is where they really shined! I had quite a few of them over the years. The small town I grew up in used to set barriers at both ends of the street we lived on and then would only plow that street and not use cinders or salt on it. As kids we were allowed to drag the wood barriers out on the street and shutdown the street and ride our runner sleds down the hardpacked street. Boy, you could really get flying! Mom used to wander where all her candles disappeared to in the winter, but as kids we had to get our runner wax somewhere! Sometimes on the weekends the street would be shutdown all weekend with kids sledding all day Saturday and Sunday. Come to think of it, had it not been the street we lived on I'm sure my parents never would have let me stay out as late they did. Unfortunately, since kids don't go outside much anymore, the little town where my parents still live hasn't set out the barriers in probably 25 yrs. I'm proud to say my kids still like going outside in winter, but since we live in the country and our ground is rather flat, they get me pulling them on plastic sleds with the atv or utv.

Back