Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best way to get rid of junk is to sell your house and have to move it. Funny how all those valuable items are suddenly not so valuable anymore.
Been in my place going in 7 years now. Still have a few unpacked boxes. Been putting a lot of stuff up on ebay recently as well. Just found my stash of case ingersoll parts. Havent had one of them in forever and dont want another. That stuff is getting the axe next. Just waiting in usps for flat rate boxes to show up. Have a few saws I may post up as well, haven't decided yet in them.

Been in my place going in 7 years now. Still have a few unpacked boxes. Been putting a lot of stuff up on ebay recently as well. Just found my stash of case ingersoll parts. Havent had one of them in forever and dont want another. That stuff is getting the axe next. Just waiting in usps for flat rate boxes to show up. Have a few saws I may post up as well, haven't decided yet in them.
I moved into my new house in March of last year. I sold a lot of "good" stuff as scrap metal just so I didnt have to move it. I downsized home and shop, it was time to reduce the collection of goodies as well.

Yeah I noticed on eBay some guys are asking 30-40 bucks and others are over 200!

I have the boxes and manuals for two of those 300’s.

They are fine for trolling but I don’t really care for the bait click anti-reverse.
I still have 2-3 Mitchel 302 Salt Water's, "I think". I know they are from the 60's and they still work, so I can't toss them. One of my favorites is a Penn Chesapeake, it's in near mint shape. Then I have two 80's Daiwa's on new rods. I just went down stairs and looked up in the rafters, I have the same basic rod racks that Jeff has. I have one Mitchel 302N on a 13-15' Ugly stick surf rod. A Daiwa 7000 on a surf rod. I can't find all of the small boat rods I used last summer. My Penn Chesapeake is on a 1950's custom rod made by a renowned Delmarva rod builder from back in the 50's. If I loose that one, I will be upset. I had those three rods on a friends boat last summer and now I'm not seeing them. Of all my friends, he would be one of the one's I trust the most to see that I get them back. One of my Off Shore buddy's gave a bunch of R&R set ups, I left on his boat, away. In his defense, he goes Off Shore 3-4 days a week, he's always calling every one he knows. If the rods are in the floor lockers for a couple months, he has no idea who they belong to. I bet I've given away 20, rod and reel combos away. I gave away all of my fly rods except my #8, I want to catch a Rock Fish on it.

Speaking of magnetic tow lights. I bought a kit when I bought my conveyor used. Along with a trailer hitch for the Ford mini van. I drove to Iowa from Michigan and towed it back. Had made up a board with a slow vehicle triangle for the end of it, the magnetic lights near the end but lower. Ran 55mph with flashers on.
The concern was semi's, and at 28', the tail being so high. Last couple hours drive was at night, but well past heavy traffic.
I was actually very lucky. A few years later a wheel seal failed in the wood lot and the wheel seized. I found what I believe to be welding splatter on the spindle from the original build, causing the seal to fail, and seize from sitting during the winter. I do like the conveyor. Not much to them.
As for cleaning junk out, we all have that. But I cut down on accumulation by having very few shelves to start with.
Crap, I have a mill, so I just keep making really cool live edge shelves. I was in the middle of a purge when Steve came by several years ago. I think he took 7 saws, which put me down to 12 saws. Probably the least in my life. I'm over 70 again.

I tried last year, I sold half a dozen 100 CC saws. Since then I've bought 19, 90cc's and up. One of the guys on a rifle collectors site I'm on says no one in his family wants his guns. So, he was thinking of getting some kind of high tech PVC tubing and packing the guns in them, drilling post holes all over his farm, so some day when the kids sell the farm, some builder will find "Surprises" all over it. Another guy offered up the best Idea. Sell off his collection now, and go out and buy a $100,000 dollar engraved one of a kind museum piece, and take it out hunting in the snow, and post pics.

HOLY CRAP. That's impressive. But I want to see how he carries the splits to the stove.

Years ago I used to every now and then practice splitting one armed, one handed. With the idea that if I ever had just one arm . . .
When I was younger, I used to swing a ten speed in each hand to drive spikes. After a few glancing blows to my shins, I finally gave up the practice.

I still have 2-3 Mitchel 302 Salt Water's, "I think". I know they are from the 60's and they still work, so I can't toss them. One of my favorites is a Penn Chesapeake, it's in near mint shape. Then I have two 80's Daiwa's on new rods. I just went down stairs and looked up in the rafters, I have the same basic rod racks that Jeff has. I have one Mitchel 302N on a 13-15' Ugly stick surf rod. A Daiwa 7000 on a surf rod. I can't find all of the small boat rods I used last summer. My Penn Chesapeake is on a 1950's custom rod made by a renowned Delmarva rod builder from back in the 50's. If I loose that one, I will be upset. I had those three rods on a friends boat last summer and now I'm not seeing them. Of all my friends, he would be one of the one's I trust the most to see that I get them back. One of my Off Shore buddy's gave a bunch of R&R set ups, I left on his boat, away. In his defense, he goes Off Shore 3-4 days a week, he's always calling every one he knows. If the rods are in the floor lockers for a couple months, he has no idea who they belong to. I bet I've given away 20, rod and reel combos away. I gave away all of my fly rods except my #8, I want to catch a Rock Fish on it.
I looked up the 302, pretty good sized reel.

I have a 7000 Ambassador on my Muskie rod (That setup is also good for trolling for deep lake trout with a diver or three way rig) and previously we used it on a long rod for surface lake trout in the Northwest Territories. Caught several from 20-40 lbs with it. I also got a 5’ shark on it in the ocean.

Last night I transferred my walleye ice fishing stuff from my grandpas old tackle box to a tackle bag. It’s amazing how much more the bag will hold even though it’s about the same size.

I’ve got several of these Umco boxes from my dad and grandpa in various sizes and they are great EXCEPT for latches that can open easily causing a spill. Maybe I’ll use them for small tools and or chainsaw parts.

CFF39BE2-385F-4DF9-B920-1DC927CB73F6.jpeg

Waiting approval from our nonprofit’s board of directors on the new small saws. Last weekend we wanted to improve our camp 3 miles in, so I carried the MS461 in on top of my backpack. It kinda nestled up there, I have a padded bar cover. It then got carried up to two miles up the trail to clear brush, others carried it for me. My Homelite is down, and we didn’t have another saw to bring. The ranger told me after the fact that we could have borrowed an F.S. saw. We should have new small saws by next trip.
641A3429-5888-4962-9831-CD5BE9752AFC.jpeg
72739619-A310-44E5-867F-9BC47B232727.jpeg
F84EC16B-88B4-44F8-ADC8-47C8045D9343.jpeg

We ended up with eight rounds around the fire.
59F8A83D-0882-4043-B72D-AA7CC136870E.jpeg

You can see small stuff that was cut in these two pictures. Some up to 5” was cut, maybe someone else got pictures. It’s a whole lotta saw for that, but the rest of the crew had shovels, or McLeod.
B24A23A0-558E-4EE1-8082-2896CF42AB71.jpeg

We cleared about a mile of trail that was overgrown in the last two trips.
7539133B-5B81-4B34-93EF-548E5D7B9913.jpeg

Latest posts

Back