Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 10lb hammer from time to time. Moves stubborn steel much fasterView attachment 891648

I swung a 10lb sledge driving wedges to split wood since I was old enough to pick it up. A few years ago I had to buy a new one. Took it back the next day for an 8lb. Couldn't swing 10 lb any more. About 80 at the time.

I was pretty accurate with one but I can't even picture swing one, much less two and hitting those small heads on RR spikes.

Well, guess I'll resurrect the, " What's the Post Office Doing With My Package?" thread. Sent my 1912 Malcolm scope out to Ironsights in Tulsa, to go through the scope, clean and or replace lenses, and take a dent out of the tube. I have a friend that wrote a book on 1895, 1899, and 99 Savage lever guns. Now, he's writing a second book on Engraved, special order, and special sights. He want's pics of my rifle, because there are no other ones documented by the Savage Historian known to have original Malcolm scopes on them. I have the dates it came into the warehouse, and shipped out to, The Malcolm Rifle Telescope Co. Malcolm started making rifle scopes in the 1850's, and most of the Civil War pics of early snipers, have Malcolm's. They continued to make sniper scopes through WWII. Mine shipped 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Was supposed to be here in 3 days. if you track it, it says "In transit" and " delivered". If it was delivered, it wasn't delivered here. Took the tracking number to the Post Office and the girl said, "If it's in transit, it means it's not here yet". Then I said, "If it's not here yet, and it says delivered, what's that mean?" She went in the office and came back and said it was still in Tulsa. They had bad weather. Wonder if I could get up a referendum to privatize the postal service?

Waiting approval from our nonprofit’s board of directors on the new small saws. Last weekend we wanted to improve our camp 3 miles in, so I carried the MS461 in on top of my backpack. It kinda nestled up there, I have a padded bar cover. It then got carried up to two miles up the trail to clear brush, others carried it for me. My Homelite is down, and we didn’t have another saw to bring. The ranger told me after the fact that we could have borrowed an F.S. saw. We should have new small saws by next trip.
View attachment 891680
View attachment 891681
View attachment 891689

We ended up with eight rounds around the fire.
View attachment 891682

You can see small stuff that was cut in these two pictures. Some up to 5” was cut, maybe someone else got pictures. It’s a whole lotta saw for that, but the rest of the crew had shovels, or McLeod.
View attachment 891684

We cleared about a mile of trail that was overgrown in the last two trips.
View attachment 891685
I'd call a 660 with a 36" bar a small saw on stuff like that!

Waiting approval from our nonprofit’s board of directors on the new small saws. Last weekend we wanted to improve our camp 3 miles in, so I carried the MS461 in on top of my backpack. It kinda nestled up there, I have a padded bar cover. It then got carried up to two miles up the trail to clear brush, others carried it for me. My Homelite is down, and we didn’t have another saw to bring. The ranger told me after the fact that we could have borrowed an F.S. saw. We should have new small saws by next trip.
View attachment 891680
View attachment 891681
View attachment 891689

We ended up with eight rounds around the fire.
View attachment 891682

You can see small stuff that was cut in these two pictures. Some up to 5” was cut, maybe someone else got pictures. It’s a whole lotta saw for that, but the rest of the crew had shovels, or McLeod.
View attachment 891684

We cleared about a mile of trail that was overgrown in the last two trips.
View attachment 891685
What model did you decide on?

I swung a 10lb sledge driving wedges to split wood since I was old enough to pick it up. A few years ago I had to buy a new one. Took it back the next day for an 8lb. Couldn't swing 10 lb any more. About 80 at the time.

I was pretty accurate with one but I can't even picture swing one, much less two and hitting those small heads on RR spikes.
I run that 10lb’er one handed but I’m only 41. Still young and dumb lol. My elbow really cussed me now days though. Sure makes punching hammer eyes fast though. I also have an old 8lb warwood that I like much better

Funny a rail spike hammer was mentioned, I got to work on our 24guage trains at work. Were in the process of redoing some track. Spikes are no longer used, instead we use 1/2" lags to fasten the rail down. Not quite as fast, but much more secure. Would hate to have to swing one of those hammers all day.

A keg of spikes weighs approx 200lbs and contains enough spikes to put 4 spikes in about 50 cross ties. If I had a dollar for every spike I have driven by hand and machine, I could take a very long vacation any where I wanted to go. As for installing ties, I used to average about 720 ties per hour using 1 TRI, tie removing inserter. We averaged about 3000xties a day and 3 miles. When I started working a good day was about 1600 ties using 5 Portec 2 man tie removing machines. When I left the big gangs they upgraded the cylinder for extracting the tie to a 3.5 in cyl instead of the 4 in bore of the original design. This was an attempt to speed up the cycle time of the 8ft long cylinder from 13 cycles per min, to what ever speed they ended up with. That cycle time included indexing from tie to tie and jacking the track to allow the tie to slip out. In other words, the extraction cyl was very fast.

That would be a pretty big tree to cut with the small saws that we discussed!

Philbert

Yes, they’re very rarely this big. None this big have been in the trail, this one was blocking access to the river from camp. The trail is mostly oak limbs and brush.

I'd call a 660 with a 36" bar a small saw on stuff like that!

I copied this from above. It seems you didn’t put these sentences together with the right pictures. The cuts are two inches across or less.

View attachment 891684

View attachment 891685

Dusting of snow overnight. I’ve still been fighting with a little plumbing project and hope to get the rest of the fittings today. Retrofitting is so much more work that doing all new!

My plow truck goes in for new ball joints and a new wheel bearing today, we haven’t had to plow in about a month so I lucked out.

It’s kind of ironic too. I was supposed to go about 4 hours away with the plow truck to pick up some stuff in late January. I blew a brake line about an hour away and turned around. My wheel bearing started to fail on my way home. Had I not blown the brake line, the bearing would have shown up a couple hours from home and chances are I would have needed to get it repaired along the way.

Dusting of snow overnight. I’ve still been fighting with a little plumbing project and hope to get the rest of the fittings today. Retrofitting is so much more work that doing all new!

My plow truck goes in for new ball joints and a new wheel bearing today, we haven’t had to plow in about a month so I lucked out.
It was 40* and sunny here on Tuesday. Got hit with 10" of heavy, wet snow yesterday. Back down to 2* this morning.

It was 40* and sunny here on Tuesday. Got hit with 10" of heavy, wet snow yesterday. Back down to 2* this morning.
We hit 58 here yesterday and only 40 overnite. Glad I got wood hauled in while it was frozen. Looks like splittin fun the next few days.
20210225_083735.jpg

Back