Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are melting off slowly. Hope to be cutting in week. Time for small engine oil changes and a look over.
I did not get the Packfix in the container this winter. Used it into January. Margaret helped me clean and grease the mast then. I'll pick it up and move it to the house. Do a good cleaning, wax the drums so the netting slides as it should when lifting the drums.

March is close.
I opened the wood lot to ice fishing parking in February. We live next to a sanctuary, which is the only public access to Silver Lake. Margaret and I are voluntary stewards for the property, and have been for thirty eight years. It is one of 190 sanctuaries this organization owns in Michigan. It is on a water shed lake, that empties into the Kalamazoo River, and that to Lake, MI. Sheriff has been ticketing people parking along the dead end road. No warnings issued, just tickets for not getting off the road far enough. I snow blew a spot under a transmission line on the sanctuary, for twelve cars or so, and our wood lot for ten more. My middle finger to whom ever is ******** about road parking. It's quite a hike, 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the parking to out on the ice, to pull a sled full of gear. Have not seen any litter, or snow mobiles on the sanctuary. It's all good by me, but some neighbors see it different.

The sanctuary is a beautiful 75 acres of aged Beech, Oaks, and Hemlocks along the bank, to the creek and lake. It's the outdoorsmen interest that is needed to protect these places, including ice fishermen. A few Saturdays ago it was 'no fishing license' required day. It was thirty, partially sunny, and I counted twenty five cars along the road. I walked out on the ice. It was a tent village, and dozens of others sitting on buckets. Lots of families and grade school age kids. They all enjoyed hours and hours of outdoors fun. And found tickets on their cars and trucks at the end of the afternoon.

I spoke with the sheriff issuing tickets. If they are at all on the road they're in violation of code .....
I called the sheriffs office.
They called back the next day.
I hear the neighbors are calling and complaining.
Yes, a lot of complaints about ice fisherman parking along the road.
Hikers and cross country skiers too, I said, people enjoying using the sanctuary.
I asked if they issued warnings. No warnings.
I asked, "What do you think those kids heard that night, the talk around the dinner table?"
I'm not complaining about parking, I'm pissed you don't issue a warning as a first step. It's not posted no parking.
Just $60. tickets.
You have missed out on a very simple public relations opportunity.

We have a sign on our drive.
Free parking, and arrows pointing to the wood lot.
It is also in response to raising the speed limit from 25 to 45... for walkers, runners, bicycling, and of course cars. Did I say this is a dead end road?
I guess I don't get it.

I guess I could get the log arch out and clean up some dead fall on our property, and restock the wood shed. Then again, I think I'll hike the trails through the woods, stroll out on the ice, and chat with some fishermen from a distance.

I was supposed to go cutting Tuesday and today. Tuesday was my oldest son’s fourth birthday and there was a dandy snow storm so I didn’t get out. Today (Thursday), we spent some time outside cleaning another 10cm we received overnight into today. Snow is starting to accumulate now!

Attachments

• FF218E98-8E2D-43F4-9D18-1753CB8C8EF5.jpeg
    FF218E98-8E2D-43F4-9D18-1753CB8C8EF5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 4D42A6BD-254E-4FA0-9C91-27B2FA1FE850.jpeg
    4D42A6BD-254E-4FA0-9C91-27B2FA1FE850.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
We are melting off slowly. Hope to be cutting in week. Time for small engine oil changes and a look over.
I did not get the Packfix in the container this winter. Used it into January. Margaret helped me clean and grease the mast then. I'll pick it up and move it to the house. Do a good cleaning, wax the drums so the netting slides as it should when lifting the drums.

March is close.
I opened the wood lot to ice fishing parking in February. We live next to a sanctuary, which is the only public access to Silver Lake. Margaret and I are voluntary stewards for the property, and have been for thirty eight years. It is one of 190 sanctuaries this organization owns in Michigan. It is on a water shed lake, that empties into the Kalamazoo River, and that to Lake, MI. Sheriff has been ticketing people parking along the dead end road. No warnings issued, just tickets for not getting off the road far enough. I snow blew a spot under a transmission line on the sanctuary, for twelve cars or so, and our wood lot for ten more. My middle finger to whom ever is ******** about road parking. It's quite a hike, 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the parking to out on the ice, to pull a sled full of gear. Have not seen any litter, or snow mobiles on the sanctuary. It's all good by me, but some neighbors see it different.

The sanctuary is a beautiful 75 acres of aged Beech, Oaks, and Hemlocks along the bank, to the creek and lake. It's the outdoorsmen interest that is needed to protect these places, including ice fishermen. A few Saturdays ago it was 'no fishing license' required day. It was thirty, partially sunny, and I counted twenty five cars along the road. I walked out on the ice. It was a tent village, and dozens of others sitting on buckets. Lots of families and grade school age kids. They all enjoyed hours and hours of outdoors fun. And found tickets on their cars and trucks at the end of the afternoon.

I spoke with the sheriff issuing tickets. If they are at all on the road they're in violation of code .....
I called the sheriffs office.
They called back the next day.
I hear the neighbors are calling and complaining.
Yes, a lot of complaints about ice fisherman parking along the road.
Hikers and cross country skiers too, I said, people enjoying using the sanctuary.
I asked if they issued warnings. No warnings.
I asked, "What do you think those kids heard that night, the talk around the dinner table?"
I'm not complaining about parking, I'm pissed you don't issue a warning as a first step. It's not posted no parking.
Just $60. tickets.
You have missed out on a very simple public relations opportunity.

We have a sign on our drive.
Free parking, and arrows pointing to the wood lot.
It is also in response to raising the speed limit from 25 to 45... for walkers, runners, bicycling, and of course cars. Did I say this is a dead end road?
I guess I don't get it.

I guess I could get the log arch out and clean up some dead fall on our property, and restock the wood shed. Then again, I think I'll hike the trails through the woods, stroll out on the ice, and chat with some fishermen from a distance.
You get a double like from me buddy! Big thumbs down for your county sheriff.

March is coming quickly and the weather is warmer so I tapped some of our maple's today. Our wood processing area is turning into a mud pit, another good sign of spring. I still have over 5 cord in the wood shed and more just tossed into a pile, thats a good start for next year.

I'm the opposite. Its been a slightly colder winter, not really bad...more that the last few had been silly mild and this one hasn't. Combine that with solid covid induced wfh and I've been happy to feed the stoves all day long and keep the wife and little kids warm and happy. I usually burn ~2.5 cord. This year I've done 2 3/4 so far nd will likely be burning until early May...If I hadn't had 8 days of laziness and run the gas central heating I might have hit 4 cord burnt. As it is I may hit 3.5 cord.

-10 here this morning and supposed to get some snow tomorrow 5938E9FF-5D62-4DF1-A6D6-C0B4990E6E5B.png
But saw a bunch of black birds today so maybe spring is getting closer.
Burned about 3 1/2 cords so far, probably another cord before it’s over.
Guy I’m working for sold 70 cords of firewood logs last week, customer lives just across the hwy from our job site BA31790A-6768-4164-87DC-4FEAD1F9E402.jpegso short haul. Guy plans on processing and selling the 70 cords this coming year. Sure has been a big increase in firewood demand around here.

-10 here this morning and supposed to get some snow tomorrow View attachment 891929
But saw a bunch of black birds today so maybe spring is getting closer.
Burned about 3 1/2 cords so far, probably another cord before it’s over.
Guy I’m working for sold 70 cords of firewood logs last week, customer lives just across the hwy from our job site View attachment 891930so short haul. Guy plans on processing and selling the 70 cords this coming year. Sure has been a big increase in firewood demand around here.
Although I'm thinking we live half a country apart, I've seen the same want/need for wood happen around here in Pa. A lot more people seem to be burning these days. It's even effected finding scrounge spots, and getting free wood from downed trees. Seems the tree guys that have the room are either selling it themselves or selling to someone else to sell as fire wood.

Although I'm thinking we live half a country apart, I've seen the same want/need for wood happen around here in Pa. A lot more people seem to be burning these days. It's even effected finding scrounge spots, and getting free wood from downed trees. Seems the tree guys that have the room are either selling it themselves or selling to someone else to sell as fire wood.
Yep, that's what happened to me. I use to be the only one cutting at a pile. A firewood guy moved in and is taking a large portion of the pile.

Back