Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love perch. Might be the best tasting of all freshwater, non-salmonid fish.
I like them better than Salmon. My mom would always get Salmon when we went out to dinner and I never liked it. Last year my wife got on a health kick and brought home some pre seasoned, Cedar Plank Salmon. I didn't want to, but I cooked it on the grill per instructions, on top of the little Cedar Plank. My goodness was that good. Now it's about the only store bought fish I eat.

IMO, Tuna, Swordfish, Arctic Char, Salmon, Mahi Mahi, Red Snapper, Trout.
I'd throw in Cobia and Mako Shark. I grilled Yellowfin, Bluefin, Mahi, and Mako one time, and every one that tried all of them, liked the Mako best. But, we catch a lot of smaller sharks and just gaff them and drag them in the floor locker. That Mako scared the crap out of me. John harpooned it in the head, and I got a choker around it's tail, we lifted it aboard and stuffed it's head in a corner. John took a fillet knife and cut it's spine right behind the gills. The whole body went limp, but the head kept snapping back and forth. It's teeth sounded like baseball bats cracking together. They have the nastiest hooked teeth. Of course we were bare foot and in shorts. Not that chaps would have helped!

Managed to get six more bucket equivalents done today. I changed the way I was doing things though. Instead of pulling the rounds from the pile and splitting them, then filling the bucket and hauling it to the pile; I moved the splitter closer to the pile and brought the rounds to the splitter. It got me out in the sun a bit more and now I can get whatever rounds are loose as many are still frozen both to each other and to the ground, they were especially bad where I started out the last couple days.
Here's a picture of one of the locust rounds that was a punky in the middle, this round was probably up the tree from the one I was talking about earlier.
Although the middle 5" was punky, the rest was very solid.
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 10.37.35 PM.png

Looks like my picture didn't show up, seems to be a problem a lot lately.
Almost 100% I made sure it showed up when I loaded it too:badpc:.
Anyway here's the first bucket of the yr again. Split three more today, so I'm up to 6 buckets, probably 100 more to go:lol:.
View attachment 893109
Think you can put another split or 3 on there..:popcorn2:
Lol

Another busy day.

Yesterday I picked up some donations for our lions club as the fellow is moving cross country next year and is cleaning out his stuff. Showed me his mint, early build 266. I told him please sell me that once you know you are done cutting wood. He said he rarely uses it any more and normally uses his Stihl 211.

Think you can put another split or 3 on there..:popcorn2:
Lol
I could have, but I don't like to reach up any higher than I have to, I'm vertically challenged :sucks:.
Seems to me he’d be risking losing pieces as it is.
I don't normally, but every now and then I dump a few pieces. Yesterday I right after I switched around how I was set up I dropped 6-7 smaller rounds when I was leaning the bucket forward, whoops. Hopefully that was my big dump for the week:laughing:.
Heading out now to get a few more buckets of rounds split, I'm almost finished with my first 2 gallon container of gas for the splitter.
Nice blue skies outside today :happy:.

I could have, but I don't like to reach up any higher than I have to, I'm vertically challenged :sucks:.

I don't normally, but every now and then I dump a few pieces. Yesterday I right after I switched around how I was set up I dropped 6-7 smaller rounds when I was leaning the bucket forward, whoops. Hopefully that was my big dump for the week:laughing:.
Heading out now to get a few more buckets of rounds split, I'm almost finished with my first 2 gallon container of gas for the splitter.
Nice blue skies outside today :happy:.
Make sure you pick up all those stragglers that bounce out off the bucket. My father-in-law sucked up one of those stragglers in his snowblower last week. As invincible as dad thinks it is, his little bx-series Kubota was no match for a frozen chunk of sugar maple.

Make sure you pick up all those stragglers that bounce out off the bucket. My father-in-law sucked up one of those stragglers in his snowblower last week. As invincible as dad thinks it is, his little bx-series Kubota was no match for a frozen chunk of sugar maple.
you meant to say, a frozen chunk of rock, no??????? frozen wood is very unforgiving...…..

I make sure everything is picked up when they are calling for snow that I might use the blower. The only thing I ran through it that wasn't to good was a frozen opossum. He must have gotten hit before the snowstorm and the plowtruck put him in my driveway.

Latest posts

Back