Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, just put the gas in it if you want to drive it. If your going to cry about it, sell it off. I'll sacrifice mpg for power every time. Nothing bothers me more then driving my wifes vehicles. Great mpg, crap power. Hard pass for me.

Yeah I really need to get my cummins going again. Got a new frame for under the 79, but havent got the time to do the swap over. Sadly it would be cheaper to find an obs style ford and drop it in, just needs engine mounts then. Everything else drive train is from that era and adapted for those year ford axles. Issue is finding a one ton 4x4 cheap with a body in good condition. Dont particularly want another dodge, fricken truck fell apart before the engine was half wore out, drove like crap, handled like a brick. I'll never get one again. Sad ford opted for international diesel engines and not cummins diesel engines.
Company I work for has about 250 trucks, and the bulk share of them are International's with X-15 Cummins engines. Kinda' says it all, don't it?

Morning fellas, two days in a row! :chainsaw:

Back out to Mitch's this morning, he had these guys stacked up, ready to go.

11th Apr 2.jpg

Nice solid peppermint :sweet:

11th Apr 9.jpg

It took less than 10 minutes to cut this log with the 460.

11th Apr 8.jpg

Another 10 minutes to split. Every round was one hit with the X27 to halve them. Peppermint is generally pretty good to split but this one was ridiculously easy.

11th Apr 1.jpg

I still had some fuel left in the 460 so I cut the next log as well and a few rounds off the big one that is next after that.

11th Apr 3.jpg

11th Apr 5.jpg

:)

Love seeing your pics too cowboy.
Is this to burn this season or do you stack and dry for the following cold season?

Thanks mate! This is green and wouldn't be good to burn this year, even though it does season fairly quickly. I'm a few years ahead so I have plenty of time for this to dry. I CSS some back in January and re-split a bit and it was nearly dry inside. If you cut it before summer it would be good to go the next winter.

does the peppermint smell like mint? that sure looks like easy/fun wood to work with :)

The wood doesn't but if you crush the leaves they have a pepperminty/eucalyptussy smell, quite pleasant. The wood smoke also is quite sweet smelling. I don't know anyone who has tried it for smoking but I've heard that eucalypts in general are not great for that.

It is medium density, between red oak and HDBL for BTUs and they are everywhere around here, and the best firewood species in our local area overall. Virtually no ash in the wood, easy to cut and split. Not used for building/construction purposes, there are better options for that.

It is still Tax Season, but my client's landlord (from this morning's apt) is cutting down trees to make room for a pool ... he wants someone to come over and buck and remove the mostly Oak logs ... guess who volunteered!

The Gov may have extended it for a month ... but that does not mean that I have to follow suit!

4 more days to go in the 'do nothing' sentence. Took a drive to a couple of my 3 cutting sites for this year. Still trying to make a decision one which one to celebrate my freedom to work day on Thursday. Probably be the 'willow brush clearance' one as that only needs small saws. I'll take the MS193T 14" and MS362 16" saws. Nice light saws to mess around with on the first day of cutting. I'd rather use the MS210 but while sharping it, I discovered the sprocket is shot. Part is on order - part may be here by Thursday.

Finished sharping the last chain hanging on gthe 'to be sharped' nail today. That is probably the first time that nail has been empty in 30 years.

The best kind of scrounge. :happybanana: When they show up and get dumped!!! All i have to do is cut them in half and split.
View attachment 900436
That's the way to do it!!!! I had a local guy with a truck like that dump a load of Oak a couple years ago,,, haven't seen him working around last year tho... Hopefully run into him soon!!!

Well today is sure a wet one... got soaked inspecting rides. Doubt I'll be doing any real outdoor work at home tonight. Last night I ran and picked up some pressure treat to make my wife a flower bed. Wow, lumber has gone nuts in price. Needed 4 2x4x8, 4 2x6x8, and 2 2x6x10. Nearly $100.00. Almost puked. I've been putting this project off for years and she got stuff to plant in it the other day, so I kinda had to get it done. Wish I would have made it a wile ago now. Oh well such is life.
You guys will appreciate this. Had my brother in law call yesterday evening. Said he needed a blade for his saw. Told him I didnt have any blades, but i may have chains that will fit. (He didnt get it lol) I asked hin what size bar he had on it, the pitch, and gauge? He said "it's an echo cs490 and the blade measures 16 3/4" long." I said "so it's got an 18" bar?" He said no it measures 16 3/4" long, but he was at lowes and didnt have the saw in front of him. (At this point I was rolling my eyes) looked up what should have been on it, and let him know 72 driver links, .325 pitch and .050 gauge. He kept saying they didnt have it in echo brand, so he would have to come back later. Tried explaining that the brand didnt matter so much as long as everything else matched up. (Bang head on wall) finally my sister in law grabbed the phone from him, asked what they needed, I told her. She said is husqvarna brand ok? I said yes it will work. Took her 30 seconds to find the chain, I was on the phone with him for 17 minuets. Told my wife after I got off the phone and she thought it was funny as heck. At least he got his new chain lol.

Should your BIL be using a saw!!!!???? maybe your SIL would be safer with it!!!
Hes a good kid, just doesn't use one often. Said the chain just went dull wile half way through a log. Bet he hit something lol. Wouldnt want her running one that would be disaster waiting.

Hes a good kid, just doesn't use one often. Said the chain just went dull wile half way through a log. Bet he hit something lol. Wouldnt want her running one that would be disaster waiting.
Teach him to sharpen the chain,,, it may be the one that came with the saw!!!

Going to look at this tomorrow if it doesn't sell beforehand . 1988 c30 dually with a dump bed . 26k original miles all original truck
Damn now that's a serious firewood hauler. What's the asking price for that? Can't believe it's only 26k miles as a '88.
Making progress. I’ve probably got 2/3 of the tree tops burned and 1/3 of loose limbs burned.

My sore shoulder isn’t hindering me but I’m a bit tired today.
You're not concerned at all about setting the whole forest on fire? With my luck some embers would ignite the surrounding brush and set the whole area ablaze lol.

I'm taking down the second tree in my yard. So far so good except the stupid 6100 keeps dying when I pick up real quick. I set it on the ground to move branches around and when I pick it up, if I do it fast, the saw will die on me. I've been messing with the stupid carb adjustment screws all morning and still having issues with it. Damn thing is starting to piss me off now

Damn now that's a serious firewood hauler. What's the asking price for that? Can't believe it's only 26k miles as a '88.

You're not concerned at all about setting the whole forest on fire? With my luck some embers would ignite the surrounding brush and set the whole area ablaze lol.

I'm taking down the second tree in my yard. So far so good except the stupid 6100 keeps dying when I pick up real quick. I set it on the ground to move branches around and when I pick it up, if I do it fast, the saw will die on me. I've been messing with the stupid carb adjustment screws all morning and still having issues with it. Damn thing is starting to piss me off now
It rained for the previous 5 days so pretty squishy around here. Supposed to rain for the next 3 as well so next weekend should be good to burn too.

Back