Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 901476
I also highly recommend Woodcutter's Garage, LLC. He hooked me up with all the parts to rebuild my ugly 254xp. He also got me a 3/8" 20" Sugihara bar for my Stihls for $80. Added bonus is he will deliver the parts himself. I believe his name is Steve.
No doubt he is a good guy. :innocent:

The free dump truck load from last week. All split up.
View attachment 901341

The wood gods are good. Tree trimming guy stopped wirh this on his truck. I almost said no because of the wood chips on top but a second look said take it. Not many chips mostly Norway maple and wait for it ...............................................................some HVBW.
View attachment 901397View attachment 901398
Good try Steve. Thought it wasn't working for a while a few pages back

Fired up the processor for the first time this year. Splitting campfire wood. Have to build a bundler yet but at least this will get it drying quicker. I'm still having issues with the oiler not working properly. I put an electric fuel pump on it but the cold heavy bar oil doesn't work well. I think I'm going to switch it over to hydraulic oil to see if it works better. Old picture of a firewood trailer I build a few years ago. It works well but I think shrink wrap bundles will be easier for my location.
A note on your oiler issues. Had a similar issue on a timber wolf processor I had worked on down in MD. they ended up getting a little tank heater for the tank for colder mornings, worked a treat.

Took the day off to get stuff done around the yard being that it’s finally been dry for a few days. Need to put the running snowmobiles away and also stack some lumber in either the garage or the enclosed trailer. Yard kind of looks like crap because we haven’t been able to do much for the last few weeks. After school, taking the kids to the cabin to do some four wheeling this weekend. Will be our first outing with multiple wheelers, I’m probably more excited than they are.

Snowing here pretty hard, wet stuff and trees are bending so I hope we don't loose power. Today is the day the SSQA log grapple should be delivered but with this weather who knows. The pallet forks came yesterday on a 18 wheeler, I have no idea how he drove in on the bottom of the road because that is narrow in a car.

I had thought of routing the muffler to the tank but when I use it in the summer the oil turns to water and just flows by gravity and pours out. I installed an electric pump with a switch at the levers so I just hit it every log or so. It works but isn't very accurate on temp swings. The hydraulic will be more consistent so once I get the flow rate set with the needle valve it will likely be fine. I'm working on one of my long conveyors so not really set up for large volume splitting yet anyway. We're heading into another lock down and getting parts is a real pain. The government is trying real hard to cripple every business even home based ones. I build and maintain a lot of my own equipment so need to see parts to make sure what I'm doing will work.
A note on your oiler issues. Had a similar issue on a timber wolf processor I had worked on down in MD. they ended up getting a little tank heater for the tank for colder mornings, worked a treat.

New family member today. Widow was selling her husband’s saw on FB marketplace. Came with a bunch of goodies and the custom travel box shown behind. Told her I’d take good care of it.
This one is set up for .325, the other 55’s I’ve had ran 3/8. I know these will pull either.
View attachment 901653
That's a good looking saw! (for a Husky):cool:

Got a little more wood in the shed today.
Cleaned up the sticks that I had gotten at the neighbors that were already dead.
Started out with this.
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.16.31 AM.png
All in the woodshed now.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 10.43.31 PM.png
Then I dropped this one after loosening the root ball and then leaning the tree where I wanted it to go :happy:.

Bucked up a good portion of the butt with a 365oe.

Then put a round under it and pushed the stem down to hold the top off the ground while I bucked it.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 10.44.14 PM.png
Got it all bucked up and loaded except 4 smaller pieces.
I did almost tip this load over :surprised3:, then I saw the wife watching with her friend and I knew I had to save it lol.
Split all this and loaded it into the woodshed also pushed the stump out and cut two more rounds off it and split those too.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 10.45.03 PM.png

New family member today. Widow was selling her husband’s saw on FB marketplace. Came with a bunch of goodies and the custom travel box shown behind. Told her I’d take good care of it.
This one is set up for .325, the other 55’s I’ve had ran 3/8. I know these will pull either.
View attachment 901653
Nice looker there.
Likely its a closed port too.

@Philbert , do you think a goofy file would work on this chain lol. I was looking thru a few chains and found it, thin wheel and they sure went deep, guess they wanted to be sure to get the gullet :).
20210416_110138.jpg
I hand filed this Oregon EXL just enough to remove the crazy factory grind since it was just slowing down a little. They work great for sure, but very difficult to duplicate the profile without using a grinder and multiple angles. I didn't touch the rakers as its a 24" and I put it on a stock 365 Special, it does a nice job like that, but don't try and bore cut in dead hard locust with it.
20210416_114010.jpg

Back